Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

2 hours ago, Corky said:

He's said far worse with barely any media reaction or the fans were told they were in the wrong.

I just accept he'll talk crap and hope we get decent results.

Telling they pick up on that comment but not the ones which directly linked to ambition, to which fans could rightly feel annoyed about 

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Telling they pick up on that comment but not the ones which directly linked to ambition, to which fans could rightly feel annoyed about 

Exactly. The comments about only wanting to stay up before he joined and the know your place type talk after the Chelsea game were, to me, worthier or ridicule or annoyance. This is temporary face saving whilst all the squad is here- if we can shift a few squad players, maybe a big name and bring in a few replacements he'll change his tune,

But, when no players have gone, the best thing to do is keep them sweet as they could be required. 

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

It's weird we've got a manager who talks incredibly disparagingly about the club and is a known bullshit artist who's been caught in the act talking utter twaddle and yet there are people who will defend him like a Saint. 

He's been a successful manager, he will likely remain successful with us too, but he's a Barry Bullshitter. I wish more folk would call him out on this but the local media seem to adore him like a deity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

It's weird we've got a manager who talks incredibly disparagingly about the club and is a known bullshit artist who's been caught in the act talking utter twaddle and yet there are people who will defend him like a Saint. 

He's been a successful manager, he will likely remain successful with us too, but he's a Barry Bullshitter. I wish more folk would call him out on this but the local media seem to adore him like a deity.

...pretty much Boris in a nutshell!!!

• Like 3

Just now, foxile5 said:

The suggestion that some how we were just treading water until he arrived. A messiah complex. 

I didn't take it as we were treading water before he arrived but rhat we went from being happy to stay up before he arrived to being unhappy with challenging the top 6 and going far in cup competitions. It was absolutely astonishing, he did realise we sacked 4 managers, 1 of which had won us the league and got us through to the last 16 of the CL and then sacked less than a year later in the years before he arrived.

Puel was vilified and yet the last year or more of Brendan's tenureship in the league has shown some similar traits, only difference from a player perspective is that they all largely still behind Brendan but our fans are as bemused as back in 2018.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

There isn’t many managers at the top of the game what don’t waffle crap. Symptom of the 24/7 news reel of football now. Look at Southgate bullshitting this summer or how Klopp rambled on about net spend or Guardiola goes into these weird monologues. They’ve all got invent something to tell journalists who ask you something every single day. 

Why Rodgers deserves criticism is where he targets his bullshit - which he pushed onto the fans like @Corkysays. 

That reconnection line is total drivel but equally he can’t say ‘yeah I want to get rid of seven players but we can’t find buyers, cos their wages are too high and they like the easy life here’. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I reckon Brendan could say" tomorrow is Wednesday "and some on here would be offended by it.

22 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I would be if I was in Australia or New Zealand, the prat.

The bastard - I’ve now joined the Rodgers out camp! 

31 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

There isn’t many managers at the top of the game what don’t waffle crap. Symptom of the 24/7 news reel of football now. Look at Southgate bullshitting this summer or how Klopp rambled on about net spend or Guardiola goes into these weird monologues. They’ve all got invent something to tell journalists who ask you something every single day. 

That as though it may be but I can't think of another high profile manager with such a well established and widely known reputation for bullshit and falsehoods. 

Known and demonstrated snake oil salesman who has started to spin his narratives. 

Edited by foxile5
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I reckon Brendan could say" tomorrow is Wednesday "and some on here would be offended by it.

I'm not offended by Rodgers. He's a successful manager for us and I don't think we can get any better. 

I'm just achingly aware of his lies and the garbage he talks and I don't want it to be overlooked or ignored. He's gained a weird cult who would believe him saying tomorrow is Wednesday on every day of the week. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bourbon Fox said:

How I wish we had local journalists who were this  forensic. As the author says - the refresh was about shedding eight or so players  and bringing in five to six to replace. He said as much. He said the club was focussed on the summer window even in February. That’s either a complete lie or something behind the scenes has gone very wrong…

The journalism covering this has been appallingly unquestioning. Why would anyone pay £20 million for Soyuncu after his Euros performances and his error strewn season? Perez ? Praet? Soumare? These players will need reinventing ….accept a loan and you put off the important decisions for a year and ending up paying a slice of their wages anyway. And we already have too many players anyway - our only hope of expanding as things stand is to draft in more Academy players - provided they’re under 21.

Essentially - we are stuffed. Our rivals and all potential purchasers of players know we need to sell and they have no reason to make it easy for us to do that. Indeed it makes it easier for them to land our targets because we need to sell first. Our manager, having announced he doesn’t rate a sizeable proportion of our squad  - has no option but to get on with coaching then, because if they’re going anywhere at all it will be at five to midnight on deadline day. 

7 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

How I wish we had local journalists who were this  forensic. As the author says - the refresh was about shedding eight or so players  and bringing in five to six to replace. He said as much. He said the club was focussed on the summer window even in February. That’s either a complete lie or something behind the scenes has gone very wrong…

The journalism covering this has been appallingly unquestioning. Why would anyone pay £20 million for Soyuncu after his Euros performances and his error strewn season? Perez ? Praet? Soumare? These players will need reinventing ….accept a loan and you put off the important decisions for a year and ending up paying a slice of their wages anyway. And we already have too many players anyway - our only hope of expanding as things stand is to draft in more Academy players - provided they’re under 21.

Essentially - we are stuffed. Our rivals and all potential purchasers of players know we need to sell and they have no reason to make it easy for us to do that. Indeed it makes it easier for them to land our targets because we need to sell first. Our manager, having announced he doesn’t rate a sizeable proportion of our squad  - has no option but to get on with coaching then, because if they’re going anywhere at all it will be at five to midnight on deadline day. 

AND it's practically impossible to get a pint at half time :(

can someone explain to me why locking any manager down to a long term deal makes sense? 

I know you are then eligible for some compensation but if a manager wants to leave, they always do. You never end up with a manager forced to see out a contract. 

I just can’t understand why we felt the need to go quite so crazy with both rodgers and the leuven boss. 

Or even more crazy the pardew one…. 

The fact that we haven't been able to have the kind of refresh Rodgers has intimated for the last few months, will be a nice little get out for him. If we get off to a poor start, there is every possibility he will be sacked, where by he will insist that it was always going to be difficult, and that he had said how the club needed a big refresh, but the club wasn't able to do that.  So he will be exonerating himself from any real blame.  If on the other hand we start off OK, but someone like Arsenal start poorly and sack their manager, and come in for Rodgers, then this time he will walk, saying that he had taken the club as far as it can go, given what finances he has to work with. So a win win for Rodgers really. I honestly don't see him being here by the end of this season, regardless of how well we do.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

The bastard - I’ve now joined the Rodgers out camp! 

What took you do long... all the signs of distancing himself from blame have bern there for a year now.  Similarly no progress on any of the faults in his tactics.

9 hours ago, smudgerfox said:

Our manager "announced he doesn't rate a sizeable proportion of our squad" after the most embarrassing defeat of his tenure. It was understandable, and the players needed to hear it. Of course, people don't actually use the whole quote, where he challenged them to prove they belonged here.

At the same time, much of the deadwood were given other hints the manager doesn't rate them: Mostly because he doesn't play them.

Say what you will about Rodgers, and he is responsible for his signings, he's not the one that got us into the particular contract situation we are in. If Cags and Youri didn't play awfully last season, we'd be able to offload them for a good fee, even with a year left on their contract.

It wasn't Rodgers that couldn't move Hamza or Mendy over the past 4 windows ... it was Rudkin.

The club tries to wring maximum value out of the players, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. We could have made a deal for Praet, but refused over a few million. Same with most of those Rodgers wants to unload. I think most will be gone at the end of the window, but Rodgers isn't the one holding it up.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Our manager "announced he doesn't rate a sizeable proportion of our squad" after the most embarrassing defeat of his tenure. It was understandable, and the players needed to hear it. Of course, people don't actually use the whole quote, where he challenged them to prove they belonged here.

At the same time, much of the deadwood were given other hints the manager doesn't rate them: Mostly because he doesn't play them.

Say what you will about Rodgers, and he is responsible for his signings, he's not the one that got us into the particular contract situation we are in. If Cags and Youri didn't play awfully last season, we'd be able to offload them for a good fee, even with a year left on their contract.

It wasn't Rodgers that couldn't move Hamza or Mendy over the past 4 windows ... it was Rudkin.

The club tries to wring maximum value out of the players, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. We could have made a deal for Praet, but refused over a few million. Same with most of those Rodgers wants to unload. I think most will be gone at the end of the window, but Rodgers isn't the one holding it up.

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/sunday-mirror-northern-ireland/20220213/283188676820264

He seems to be taking a lot of credit for players contracts improving here, for a man that had nothing to do with it.

7 minutes ago, filbertway said:

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/sunday-mirror-northern-ireland/20220213/283188676820264

He seems to be taking a lot of credit for players contracts improving here, for a man that had nothing to do with it.

He doesn't negotiate contracts ... saying they got new contracts under him after he "improved" them is a different thing.