Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It’s not complicated- a proportion of fans want the game played ‘up and at em’.  Controlling possession which leads to a positive outcome (for a number of reasons) is not exciting enough for them.  Personally, I intensely disliked much of the 16/17 and 17/18 seasons where we ceded lots of control and then pumped it long when we got it and tried to make something happen in their defensive third.  I’m much more relaxed when we control the ball, even if that involves lots of apparently pointless passing around ……

There is a time and place for both in reality, especially for a team like ours. If you’re predictable you are generally easily beatable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

There is a time and place for both in reality, especially for a team like ours. If you’re predictable you are generally easily beatable. 

there is rarely a time for launching it if you’ve set your stall out as a proper footballing side.  Good sides play long balls that are passes and not just sticking it up there or down the channels for vards to chase like a whippet !  Watching sides like Burnley outplay us in the period I referenced wasn’t fun imo. 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

And this is why we are fcuked as a fan base.

We've fans that think a manager who has masterminded the most amount of games where we've scored 4 or more goals in the modern era, a manager who has led us to x 2 top 5 finishes back to back for the first time in the top division in the modern era (actually can't remember when we did this previously probably 60+ years ago), a manager who helped us win the FA Cup for the 1st time in our history and all of which was largely done with the same squad of players that had finished 9th 2 seasons on the spin beforehand (we were heading for a comfortable bottom half finish until he arrived and we showed top 6 from from Feb onwards in that season)

What on earth do you expect? More goals? Top 4? The league title? Europa League?

No wonder we have one of the most pathetic fan bases in the country, we have been forever ruined by 2015/16. Very little can be appreciated and this is a classic example. A boring manager? I'm genuinely speechless.

I think Rodgers has done a great job, but I don’t agree that our fan base are not right to have expected at least one top 4 finish in the last couple of years. Given the situation we’ve found ourselves in.

I get that we don’t have the resources that the ‘the big six’ do which makes a real difference over a 10 year period or so but what we’ve experienced over the past couple of seasons has been a bit of a unique opportunity. They’ve been somewhat in disarray with managerial changes and a global pandemic that turned a lot about expected results on its head. 

We’ve seen what this team can do. Not just under Rodgers but in 2015/16 and even in the Puel era. Rightly, from our lived experience, we’ve seen that this squad can beat anyone on their day and compete with the biggest clubs. We have a manager that is one of the best paid in the league. We have players in our side that clubs who would expect to get top 4 would slot straight into their starting 11. So why should we not feel that top 4 is a reasonable ambition right here and right now? Or that we should have got the job done over the past couple of years?

In the same way that you can say some of our fan base will never be satisfied, you can also say that if we don’t have ambition and high expectations then what’s the point? Where do you go from there? (Spoiler alert: it’s backwards)

It’s a bit like a sprinter who had only ever ran 100m in 14 seconds (LCFC up until 2014), suddenly ran it in 9 seconds (LCFC in 2015/16) and then proceeded to run it in 11 or 12 seconds in the years thereafter (LCFC in Europe and winning an FA Cup). Is it wildly unrealistic to say that this sprinter could run 100m in 10 seconds? Or does he just go back to running 13 or 14 seconds because that’s what he used to do?

I’ll reiterate that I’m very happy with Rodgers. But all things considered I don’t think he’s done an unfathomably good job or that there wasn’t reasonably more he could have done in the last couple of years despite the fact that - when compared to Leicester City past history - on paper it looks exceptional.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

there is rarely a time for launching it if you’ve set your stall out as a proper footballing side.  Good sides play long balls that are passes and not just sticking it up there or down the channels for vards to chase like a whippet !  Watching sides like Burnley outplay us in the period I referenced wasn’t fun imo. 

Don’t recall mentioning launching it?  Playing it long is a weapon you shouldn’t abandon. Me in my opinion. 

6 hours ago, Koke said:

I have a feeling, based on nothing, that Rodgers might want to leave for a bigger club if we finish 5th again. He might feel he's taken us as far as he can, and without huge investment it will be near impossible to break the top 4 monopoly. People laugh at the idea of him going to Arsenal but IMO it is a possibility. Arsenal can offer bigger transfer budget and wages to attract big players. They can offer £200k+ in wages to players. No way we can ever match that. 

If he does he does. He's been blessed with a squad of very good players at the right time. I can't see a better option out there at present but we'd survive. I don't think he's a silly man, in fact in terms of his own career, quite clinical. It would therefore be doubtful I think that he'd ditch what he has here for a basket case like Arsenal whatever their past reputation. I think Rodgers was lucky to get us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

We've fans that think a manager who has masterminded the most amount of games where we've scored 4 or more goals in the modern era, a manager who has led us to x 2 top 5 finishes back to back for the first time in the top division in the modern era (actually can't remember when we did this previously probably 60+ years ago), a manager who helped us win the FA Cup for the 1st time in our history and all of which was largely done with the same squad of players that had finished 9th 2 seasons on the spin beforehand (we were heading for a comfortable bottom half finish until he arrived and we showed top 6 from from Feb onwards in that season)

What on earth do you expect? More goals? Top 4? The league title? Europa League?

No wonder we have one of the most pathetic fan bases in the country, we have been forever ruined by 2015/16. Very little can be appreciated and this is a classic example. A boring manager? I'm genuinely speechless.

Love that mate. Completely agree, that shut him up lol

I used to be surprised at how dumb some football / Leicester fans are but now it’s more rare to come across someone with a rational and intelligent opinion. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Haha I think im in a minority mate so I think the fanbase is alright.

Honestly the guy bores the hell out of me, he's the 5th highest paid manager in the league and has a prime Youri Tielemans at his disposal. As well as the coming of age of Barnes, so I think hitting 60-65 points is no major achievement.

We shithoused a cup final win after a really impressive campaign where we won every game we were favourites in. Which was refreshing to see.

Id love to see him doing all that with a midfield 2 of wilf and mendy haha.

Hes certainly not underachieved and again, I dont think hes a bad manager. I just find him and his football utterly boring and predictable.

If you have found the football in 2021 exciting, then fair play man. You're a better man than me

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Honestly the guy bores the hell out of me, he's the 5th highest paid manager in the league and has a prime Youri Tielemans at his disposal. As well as the coming of age of Barnes, so I think hitting 60-65 points is no major achievement.

We shithoused a cup final win after a really impressive campaign where we won every game we were favourites in. Which was refreshing to see.

Hes certainly not underachieved and again, I dont think hes a bad manager. I just find him and his football utterly boring and predictable.

If you have found the football in 2021 exciting, then fair play man. You're a better man than me

Out of intrest what era or side did you find exciting to watch?

And before you say 15/16, that deep lying counter attack style was proven to be unsustainable once we lost kante and lower placed sides started to sit deep and play for a draw. Raneris 2nd season was one of the worst in recent memory in terms of entertaining football. 

11 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Out of intrest what era or side did you find exciting to watch?

And before you say 15/16, that deep lying counter attack style was proven to be unsustainable once we lost kante and lower placed sides started to sit deep and play for a draw. Raneris 2nd season was one of the worst in recent memory in terms of entertaining football. 

Its a tough one, because we've never had one of the top 6 teams in the country before lol

Rodgers first year in charge I loved how we played. We were absolutely superb, high tempo, high press. That was probably the best I've ever seen a Leicester team play

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

So you are currently watching a manager with the highest win rate in the clubs history (including managers who managed us in the championship and league 1). who you admit has had the side playing the best football in your entire life. Who this year Won one of only 5 pieces of silverware in our 140 odd year history. Yet he bores the hell out of you and your ready for a change? 

I'm struggling to get my head around your logic here. I know you say he's got youri tielemans and a prime Harvey barnes but other managers had mahrez and Maguire and were no where near this level. Also does brendan not get some credit for Harvey barnes devolping into such a high level player. 

He should also get credit for managing the worst injury record in the premier leauge over the last 18 months including long term injuries to Barnes, Justin, ricardo, and Fofana and still keeping the side winning game after game. 

Im not discrediting anything hes achieved with us. I agree hes done well for us, as id expect from a manager on 10 million a year.

I just feel like hes gone too much into a safety first mode, maybe due to what hes had to deal with, and I just find the football boring and I feel like hes been stuck in a bit of a stale rut for a while.

Im not actively wanting him out, I just wouldn't be upset if he left. To me itd be an exciting opportunity

38 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Its a tough one, because we've never had one of the top 6 teams in the country before lol

Rodgers first year in charge I loved how we played. We were absolutely superb, high tempo, high press. That was probably the best I've ever seen a Leicester team play

....I quite enjoyed 13/14, Pearson just got the whole club focused on one goal!!!

We played high tempo with a high press and we were ruthless, we turned up did the job and then said to the other clubs match that. We were awesome. Loved the run in regarding the Great escape as well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, notnow john said:

We had four other managers that couldn’t bring a consistency to match Grays talent.

Maybe the penny finally dropped, maybe Rafa is a genius or maybe it’s a flash in the pan.

Whatever the reason for his resurgence,to use it as a stick to beat Rodgers is pathetic.

He had a good spell under Puel where he and Mahrez were threats either side of the pitch before Mahrez went on strike.

I always felt he had the talent, but for whatever reason, whether thats been played in the wrong way, lack of proper motivation, encouragement, training or something else it simply didnt work out.  Puel was the manager who got him the closest.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, filbertway said:

I think at this point I'd happily see it. The bloke bores me to tears with almost everything he does, I'm just ready for something different I think. You can almost predict every move Rodgers will make during a game and when he will make it. I feel like he's almost too reliant on the theory side of things that it prevents him from being able to adapt easily. Again, by no means do I think he's poor, but I just find him an incredibly boring manager. So if the opportunity presented itself to look for a more attacking/creative manager, then I'd be down for that.  

I'm not sure how he'd do there, poisonous atmosphere and a club that seems to be run pretty poorly. It'd be a risky move, if he could turn around their fortunes on the pitch it'd be a hell of an achievement. I think they're screwed until they get new ownership.

I think I could probably find a similar quote to this on every Arsenal board in the late Wenger era. So many fans do not appreciate what a manager brings to the club until they're gone. It's a skill in itself to get a club to stay consistent in points and performance, particularly one of our size and stature.

I think every fan has had criticisms of him at times - his subs are often too late and he sticks with under-performers too long - but I don't know where you want to find a more attacking or creative manager? There's pretty much only Liverpool and Man City that have out-scored us in recent times and the fact that Rodgers is normally linked with the top jobs shows he's obviously held in high regard elsewhere.

• Like 1

The reaction to Gray does sum up how reactionary football can be. He had 5 underwhelming years here. 3 games does not take priority over that.

I do concede he's likely to do better there than here - although he's already only one goal off his entire seasonal best tally at LCFC lol 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

He had a good spell under Puel where he and Mahrez were threats either side of the pitch before Mahrez went on strike.

I always felt he had the talent, but for whatever reason, whether thats been played in the wrong way, lack of proper motivation, encouragement, training or something else it simply didnt work out.  Puel was the manager who got him the closest.

Yes good recap. Puel said he wanted to try Gray as a forward too as he thought he is more suited there. Problem with other managers here is that he got stuck with being labelled a “winger” which does not suit him as well as his passing selection is suspect. But he can run, dribble, does little one twos, and also has an OK shot. 

Edited by Tom12345

The problem with Rodgers is that due to his style of play and conservatism, he is letting good attacking players go wasted a bit. I welcome his cultivation of Barnes (he is to me still the one with the most potential in this squad), but he is not perfect and he is too focussed on his favourites to the detriment of others like Praet and Nachos.

He commented recently that he cannot start with 6 attacking players as a justification of benching Nachos: 

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-explains-kelechi-iheanacho-5916926

But he dodged the real question. Why start Maddison when Nachos is clearly a better choice currently? This reinforces that in his mind he is not even thinking of dropping Maddison or any other “attacking” players as he just assumed this must mean dropping a defensive player. Also, who are the 5 attacking players he was talking about here? Vardy (OK), Maddison (OK), Barnes (OK), Tielemans (maybe but he sits deep?), Albrighton (again, he is almost a defender a lot of the times these days). The rest are defenders first and foremost.

Man City plays with attackers all over the pitch. I wish we can be a bit more adventurous and be able to get out of own half a bit more if we actually field more “attacking” players on the pitch who can pass forward a bit more. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, filbertway said:

Yep, I remember us being favourites away at Man City, Arsenal, Spurs as well as at home to Chelsea, and Liverpool.

We beat all of the big six at some point last season and completely out played Man Utd in the FA Cup quarter final on our way to winning the Cup - for the first time in our history.

As for shithousing the FA Cup - the only teams outside the PL we player we’re away at Stoke and Brentford - two championship teams who are not easy to go away to.

I honestly can’t fathom how we are not all loving football at the minute, cup wins, European tours, scoring goals, some genuine top draw players and a great manager. 
Unbelievable 

• Like 3

Build build build!! I bet even BR is disappointed with his wide options but we’re only 2 good wingers (especially right sided options) from a really reallly good squad!

Unfortunately I can see a bigger team coming in for him at some point and he won’t stay.

I’m enjoying the journey and hopeful for our future as long as we keep doing what we’ve been doing!