Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

15 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

It wasn't Rodgers that couldn't move Hamza or Mendy over the past 4 windows ... it was Rudkin

.. I seem to recall they were both about to walk out the door when circumstances in our squad deemed it necessary for them to stay!!!

As they were contracted to us, we had the right to prevent them going our the door, even if it meant it was to the detriment for an opportunity to kick-start their career elsewhere. 

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.

2 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. I seem to recall they were both about to walk out the door when circumstances in our squad deemed it necessary for them to stay!!!

As they were contracted to us, we had the right to prevent them going our the door, even if it meant it was to the detriment for an opportunity to kick-start their career elsewhere. 

So what would you have done under those circumstances? 

4 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Our manager "announced he doesn't rate a sizeable proportion of our squad" after the most embarrassing defeat of his tenure. It was understandable, and the players needed to hear it. Of course, people don't actually use the whole quote, where he challenged them to prove they belonged here.

At the same time, much of the deadwood were given other hints the manager doesn't rate them: Mostly because he doesn't play them.

Say what you will about Rodgers, and he is responsible for his signings, he's not the one that got us into the particular contract situation we are in. If Cags and Youri didn't play awfully last season, we'd be able to offload them for a good fee, even with a year left on their contract.

It wasn't Rodgers that couldn't move Hamza or Mendy over the past 4 windows ... it was Rudkin.

The club tries to wring maximum value out of the players, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. We could have made a deal for Praet, but refused over a few million. Same with most of those Rodgers wants to unload. I think most will be gone at the end of the window, but Rodgers isn't the one holding it up.

Agreed regarding he's not the one holding any transfers up however, quite a number of those players he doesn't seem to rate have gradually regressed under his stewardship.

Playing players out of position,  or employing tired tactics or philosophies irrespective of the actual players available to him could also be an issue. To always put the blame on players after defeat just cannot be true every time, he too is responsible for results due to his failures also.

As for Rudkin not being able to sell certain players, I'd suggest that you don't actually know whether they've even tried to sell them in the first place (since when do we believe the media), how much the club wanted or, whether anyone actually wanted to buy them for a reasonable fee in the first place. I can see Choudhury being saleable but surely you can't honestly think it would be easy to sell the likes of Perez, Vestergaard and Bertrand on the sort of salaries they're on, would you want us to buy them if they were rumoured to be coming here now?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

He doesn't negotiate contracts ... saying they got new contracts under him after he "improved" them is a different thing.

If it's soley down to Rudkin and Rodgers isn't getting involved making suggestions, then we probably need to look at shifting Rudkin, because he's got s crucial role at this club and we can't have someone overpaying so much and putting us in this position.

8 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

They only stayed last summer because their moves (to Newcastle and Galatasaray) fell through

We didn’t choose to keep them

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

So what would you have done under those circumstances? 

...as I said, the club had a right to put the team first as they hold their contract!!!

The statement that it was Rudkin that has prevented the players from leaving, is true to an extent,  but circumstance (injuries) prevented the deals from going through, it was not a club policy  to retain them.

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...as I said, the club had a right to put the team first as they hold their contract!!!

The statement that it was Rudkin that has prevented the players from leaving, is true to an extent,  but circumstance (injuries) prevented the deals from going through, it was not a club policy  to retain them.

So the club did the right thing then? 

36 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Our manager "announced he doesn't rate a sizeable proportion of our squad" after the most embarrassing defeat of his tenure. It was understandable, and the players needed to hear it. Of course, people don't actually use the whole quote, where he challenged them to prove they belonged here.

At the same time, much of the deadwood were given other hints the manager doesn't rate them: Mostly because he doesn't play them.

Say what you will about Rodgers, and he is responsible for his signings, he's not the one that got us into the particular contract situation we are in. If Cags and Youri didn't play awfully last season, we'd be able to offload them for a good fee, even with a year left on their contract.

It wasn't Rodgers that couldn't move Hamza or Mendy over the past 4 windows ... it was Rudkin.

The club tries to wring maximum value out of the players, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. We could have made a deal for Praet, but refused over a few million. Same with most of those Rodgers wants to unload. I think most will be gone at the end of the window, but Rodgers isn't the one holding it up.

With absolutely no mention of the entire team playing the managers slow build up way of playing and his implementing of zonal marking too. Funny you don’t mention that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

We only play that way when we're missing several starters and the system starts to fall apart.. having seen the first 2 years of his tenure, can't you see that that's not his "ideal"? 

True enough, but I’m not sure whether we aren’t playing to his ‘ideal’ this last season. It’s my belief he’s just become far too cautious for his own good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

If the owners really had that in mind then they'd have sacked him already and got his replacement in. They're not going to waste a transfer window when quite a fair bit needs doing to the squad. 

Depends on the way the 1st  10 games go though. 

Can you imagine the reaction on here if Brendan told a fan to foad or call a journalist an ostrich? 

Imagine him telling us we have delusions of grandeur? 

Edited by Webbo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Really hard season with injuries last year and we finished 8th in the premier league. . Do people really believe any other manager Leicester could get would of finished higher? New signings are great, but if someone said none of our key players will get any long injuries this season(doubtful I know)I would take that now and not have any new signings.

Edited by Claridge
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Can you imagine the reaction on here if Brendan told a fan to foad or call a journalist an ostrich? 

Didn’t Sir Nige say that on the back of taking over off Sven the season when we went to Coventry and were singing ‘We’re Leicesrer City, we’re buying the league’? Entirely justified.

However, times change, as do football clubs success and along with that, fans (and crucially the owners) expectations change. 

This fans being entitled line is total codswallop, an easy way to attempt to dismiss real fears the fans have about decisions being made over the last 10 months (on and off the pitch) and our regression and where it’s going to leave us in 5 years time. To coin another Sir Nige phrase, there’s a lot of ostriches on here. 

Edited by The Year Of The Fox
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

and our regression and where it’s going to leave us in 5 years time

A regression only in style of football, not necessarily where we stand in terms of stature as a PL club. 

No one can have any idea or say with any certainty where we'll be in 5 years time. A ridiculous amount can change within that time. Those that don't like Rodgers act like he'll have us back in League One in 5 years. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

A regression only in style of football, not necessarily where we stand in terms of stature as a PL club. 

No one can have any idea or say with any certainty where we'll be in 5 years time. A ridiculous amount can change within that time. Those that don't like Rodgers act like he'll have us back in League One in 5 years. 

Agreed. But only for now. Watch what happens to our squad the longer he stays. A lot of what I thought would happen back in October has already happened in terms of players not being sold on due to absolutely awful performances and results. 

13 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Agreed. But only for now. Watch what happens to our squad the longer he stays. A lot of what I thought would happen back in October has already happened in terms of players not being sold on due to absolutely awful performances and results. 

There's still time. 

Not like we're at the end of the window and it's the same crop of players. 

IF it does get to that stage, I'll be equally as disappointed as you in that the squad hasn't been improved on and that some players who shouldn't be here are still in the squad. 

I still have some confidence we'll get some deals done, both outgoing and incoming. Literally just like every summer. 

57 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Well he basically has, on several occasions, so this is a poorly-chosen example.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, StanSP said:

There's still time. 

Not like we're at the end of the window and it's the same crop of players. 

IF it does get to that stage, I'll be equally as disappointed as you in that the squad hasn't been improved on and that some players who shouldn't be here are still in the squad. 

I still have some confidence we'll get some deals done, both outgoing and incoming. Literally just like every summer. 

To be honest I don’t buy into the squad needing refreshing anyway.

But in terms of value of the overall club I was worried about the value of the players rather than worrying we’d actually get top dollar for them 

3 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Well he basically has, on several occasions, so this is a poorly-chosen example.

I'm sensing a running theme from our managers... god knows why, we're a perfectly normal bunch and nobody expects us to challenge the top 4 all the time. Oh hang on... 

52 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Really hard season with injuries last year and we finished 8th in the premier league. . Do people really believe any other manager Leicester could get would of finished higher? New signings are great, but if someone said none of our key players will get any long injuries this season(doubtful I know)I would take that now and not have any new signings.

To be fair though, I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that us finishing eighth was ridiculous to a point where it was absolutely hilarious. It's the highest position we had been in all season and I'm still left scratching my head over how we ended up finishing despite how we were through the majority of the season.