Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Just now, Babylon said:

I'm sensing a running theme from our managers... god knows why, we're a perfectly normal bunch and nobody expects us to challenge the top 4 all the time. Oh hang on... 

He was saying it when we were in the bottom half and being thumped by lower-league opposition in the cup.

6 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

To be honest I don’t buy into the squad needing refreshing anyway.

But in terms of value of the overall club I was worried about the value of the players rather than worrying we’d actually get top dollar for them 

Neither do I. I think there's a brilliant core to build around. And in particular some great players individually to work around too, namely Fofana and Maddison and hopefully eventually Dewsbury-Hall. 

I've said it before and will happily say it again - people take Rodgers' words (and any other managers) at face value far too seriously if it's something they don't like. When he's complimentary or actually says something of sense, it gets bypassed. 

This rebuild/refresh thing - he quite clearly didn't mean a massive overhaul. Maybe it isn't even a bad thing to occur to a club in having some kind of refresh. In terms of the timing, we've just had two seasons of 50+ (?) games with a heavily-affected squad ie injuries. Maybe getting rid of players that didn't make the mark need to be told they're at risk of being sold. And maybe its good to know that Rodgers thinks about the short-term future of the squad by not stagnating with the same players. 

I very much doubt he or Rudkin or anyone partially responsible for transfers have been twiddling their thumbs when it comes to specific players to target/sign. Sometimes things don't work out with them because players choose other clubs or we won't pay a huge transfer fee and get ripped off. 

Not saying you have pinned all transfers (or lack of so far) on Rodgers, but I've seen several comments here pinning the failure of it at his door. Probably with very little factual substance to back it up too... 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

But overall, the results have not been awful. 

Also, why do you say "did you go"? Does it matter? You've openly said multiple times that you haven't watched certain games so I don't understand what the point is?

Well they’re the ones I did go to and were totally shite in too.

As for the results, there’s been 3 standout ones all season. United (h) Liverpool (h) and PSV (a) where the latter two were tactical masterclasses and Rodgers deserved all the praise for. Other than the three above, the wins we had towards the end of the season were expected really. They weren't standout. The list of diabolical performances and results fill out the rest of the season IMO

Edited by The Year Of The Fox

Hopefully Brendan picks up on the fan base being unsettled, shakes off any complacency and moves heaven and earth to show us he is still a good manager - getting the team performing and finish top 7 and going deep in the cup competitions.

He will struggle to get a better job IMO / certainly not a better paid job in the EPL if he fails. If he stinks out the place this season he will (probably) be binned so lots of reasons for him to deliver.

and we need to perform otherwise keeping Little Wes and Madders will be impossible. 

I’m bored of these debates now. Some people think he’s amazing. Some people think he was amazing and now he’s shite. Some people think he’s shite. I can’t wait for the new season to start so we can judge him on that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lako42 said:

Is he still here? 

I reckon we aren't letting him sign anyone so that we can afford to sack him after 10 games. 

Haha why would you wait, the cost of sacking him will be a set amount until he has less in remaining wages than the sacking clause so actually waiting 10 games will be an extra 3 months in wages than if we were to pay him off now if we really don't trust him and want him gone. The reality is, the owners and board absolutely live him and are bowled over by his guff.

On 11/07/2022 at 21:31, Guppys Love Child said:

I dont post very much, and normally I'm happy just to read everyones comments, but on this occasion I totally agree, and get some stuff off my chest. (sorry in advance its a larger then normal post) I personally can't 'warm' to him. To me (in my opinion) I find him arrogant, and egotistical and someone who loves the sound of his own voice. The Bull Sh*t coming out of his mouth about the "refresh" (I disagree with how he originally went about it, lambasting various players on occasions, saying we were as good as we could be etc wasnt the best tactic, god knows how the team felt afterwards, a real confidence boost i bet) then coming out and touting that we possibly need/ looking at signing 4,5 or 6 players only to quickly change tack too save face when nothing is happening and come up with the 'we need to reconnect to our old ideals when I first came here' is poor. Again in my opinion he's more than willing to take all the credit in his post  match interviews, when everything's  fine and dandy but blame the players for 'not doing as instructed' or needing  to do this or we were lacking in that when it all goes wrong. Yes we have at times  been very successful under this management, and as a fan truly love this, but the thought of watching the same tippy tappy, possession at all cost, slow, pass it anyhere but forwards brand of football is a horrible prospect. If we revert back to the Leicester of old and stop pi$$ing around with it in the middle of the park and actually look to press forward with pace and purpose and try and score, then I'll be much happier, I still won't like him, but I'll be happier. 

Ist all about perspectives,some Posters Cherry pick...Many things together or seperate can be taken put of context,

or used for some to Build up to agendas..

I for One  Dont List to the noise over individual statementss...

for one..he has within  last season ..carried the blame, & stated right through ..he carries the responsibilities, But in  the odd times, put up the players for questioning,...whats wrong with that..!!....From last seasons First 7 months he Defended them to a fault....Then he Let the odd broadside go..! Again so what.!

I have Followed Rodgers statements, & sorry I Dont believe his character Shows One Bit of Selling out, anything untoward, or is the Wicked witch of the east,that many will have him...

All fans, all managers,all players....come out with clap-trap at times...Not worth the  snot on a Cold day, it drops from...

For modern man...We dont half come out with some BS, & Soap-opera tickle-tackle....when trying to understand or Portray our opinions on others characters.

Edited by fuchsntf

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

And? The point was people expecting to be constantly challenging those very top positions are, lets be honest, kidding themselves. Us doing that was probably our peak, which is a fair comment. He also said that a was still the aim, to disrupt the top teams. But clubs our size will have ups and downs, which people just don't seem to get. They seem to think the normal rules don't count for us. 

Our ups and downs aren’t caused by the phases of the moon. They’re caused by errors of judgement.

• Like 4

People expected a good group of players managed by a gaffer on huge money to be hitting 65+ points a season. I assume the same people now see that our highly paid manager has had 3 seasons and still mainly relies on players signed before he joined. Values of a majority of players dropping whilst the expenditure on the same group has continued to grow.

Aside from a couple of spells where we've looked really good for 10-15 games. Rodgers really hasn't done a great deal. To his credit he took advantage of a favourable FA Cup run and then we somehow won the final with 1 shot. Then we beat Man City Youth/Ressies in a friendly which gave us a "trophy".

Other than that. He's managed a team that is better than most teams and probably done what most managers could have done. The only difference is that, behind the scenes, standards have dropped massively during his tenure.

When he leaves, he will leave a club in a mess that needs a massive sort out, of that I'm quite sure.

For me, he's a good coach and an awful manager.  It'll be interesting to see if the same pattern repeats for a 4th time at his next club, assuming someone wants to take the plunge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

Well he basically has, on several occasions, so this is a poorly-chosen example.

Were you offended when Pearson said it, or is it selective? 

21 minutes ago, filbertway said:

People expected a good group of players managed by a gaffer on huge money to be hitting 65+ points a season. I assume the same people now see that our highly paid manager has had 3 seasons and still mainly relies on players signed before he joined. Values of a majority of players dropping whilst the expenditure on the same group has continued to grow.

Aside from a couple of spells where we've looked really good for 10-15 games. Rodgers really hasn't done a great deal. To his credit he took advantage of a favourable FA Cup run and then we somehow won the final with 1 shot. Then we beat Man City Youth/Ressies in a friendly which gave us a "trophy".

Other than that. He's managed a team that is better than most teams and probably done what most managers could have done. The only difference is that, behind the scenes, standards have dropped massively during his tenure.

When he leaves, he will leave a club in a mess that needs a massive sort out, of that I'm quite sure.

For me, he's a good coach and an awful manager.  It'll be interesting to see if the same pattern repeats for a 4th time at his next club, assuming someone wants to take the plunge.

I get some people are not happy with performances, or think we could be higher up the table, or challenging more in comps. 
But I don’t get why people feel need to play down are actual achievements? We won the FA Cup, in doing it we beat two sides who finished in the top 4. 
It wasn’t a fluke and we played very well throughout the competition. 
I find it incredibly weird when our supporters feel the need to justify their opinion by disrespecting our achievements, particularly when it’s the only time in our history we’ve done this.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Were you offended when Pearson said it, or is it selective? 

Not really. The contexts in which they each said it were significantly different so I'd say a degree of selectivity is not unreasonable though. Rodgers has the most resources, most expensive squad and biggest salary of any other manager in our history, should he not be held to higher standards?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Not really. The contexts in which they each said it were significantly different so I'd say a degree of selectivity is not unreasonable though. Rodgers has the most resources, most expensive squad and biggest salary of any other manager in our history, should he not be held to higher standards?

Tbf, the highest Pearson ever finished was 14th, the lowest Rodgers has ever finished is 8th and he's won a cup and qualified for Europe twice. 

So

post-3550-0-53556800-1392927481_thumb.jpg

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Tbf, the highest Pearson ever finished was 14th, the lowest Rodgers has ever finished is 8th and he's won a cup and qualified for Europe twice. 

So

post-3550-0-53556800-1392927481_thumb.jpg

Did they have the same team?

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

I mean, didn't Pearson have the majority of that team that went on to win the league and get to the QF of the CL? 

Now I wouldn't usually say that (you know, circumstances and all of that), but if we're gonna stoop to the levels of arguments that those who want Rodgers out do, then might as well... 

Yes, and if he hadn't have been sacked in Summer 2015 he'd have not only won us the league in 15/16 but also won the CL the following season imo.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

You’ll defend him to the hilt won’t you 😂😂

Head

Brick wall

Finishing 8th not good enough for you? I can guess what big Nige would have said to you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1