Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Just now, ealingfox said:

Yes, and if he hadn't have been sacked in Summer 2015 he'd have not only won us the league in 15/16 but also won the CL the following season imo.

FFS, even you don't believe that. 

4 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I mean, didn't Pearson have the majority of that team that went on to win the league and get to the QF of the CL? 

Now I wouldn't usually say that (you know, circumstances and all of that), but if we're gonna stoop to the levels of arguments that those who want Rodgers out do, then might as well... 

While I couldn't resist the previous response, looking back Pearson's comments on delusions of grandeur were made in January 2012 so no he wouldn't have done. Also looking back it seems to me that he was talking about the players rather than the fans so I wonder if that incident is looked back on incorrectly. Or there were two incidences perhaps.

1 hour ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

To be honest I don’t buy into the squad needing refreshing anyway.

But in terms of value of the overall club I was worried about the value of the players rather than worrying we’d actually get top dollar for them 

9 players out of contract in 22/23

Soyuncu, Tieleman, Evans, Vardy, Amartey, Perez, Choudhury, Mendy, Kasper, likelihood only two sign extensions (Evans, Vardy) and you don't think we need a refresh?

Whether happens, whoever is in charge, the squad is going to need an overhaul.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ealingfox said:

It's not a question of belief, it's just facts mate.

If Fofana hadn't been injured last season, we'd have won the league, the europa league and the Nobel prize for chemistry. FACT. 

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Not really. The contexts in which they each said it were significantly different so I'd say a degree of selectivity is not unreasonable though. Rodgers has the most resources, most expensive squad and biggest salary of any other manager in our history, should he not be held to higher standards?

Is that not also true of basically every team we're competing with though? We might be the richest we've ever been but in comparison to not only the big six but also the likes of Everton, Villa and now Newcastle, it doesn't mean much when they have also grown exponentially wealthier.

3 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. I seem to recall they were both about to walk out the door when circumstances in our squad deemed it necessary for them to stay!!!

As they were contracted to us, we had the right to prevent them going our the door, even if it meant it was to the detriment for an opportunity to kick-start their career elsewhere. 

Circumstances being Mendy's flight was delayed and Newcastle pulled out...not that it was necessary for them to stay at all.

6 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If Fofana hadn't been injured last season, we'd have won the league, the europa league and the Nobel prize for chemistry. FACT. 

Now you're just being silly - we didn't qualify for the Nobel Prize in Chemistry. 

8 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

If it’s going to fleece us so we can’t upgrade the team, then what’s the point? It will be like when we built a new stadium all over again! 

We're in a massively stronger financial position than we were back then. There's no way the stadium expansion gets binned at this stage. 

Just now, StanSP said:

We're in a massively stronger financial position than we were back then. There's no way the stadium expansion gets binned at this stage. 

I didn’t mean binned completely mate, just postponed while things get sorted 

13 minutes ago, Guest said:

Is that not also true of basically every team we're competing with though? We might be the richest we've ever been but in comparison to not only the big six but also the likes of Everton, Villa and now Newcastle, it doesn't mean much when they have also grown exponentially wealthier.

To an extent yes but it's about our metrics in comparison to those teams, not the fact that theirs might have gone up. We've had the 7th/8th biggest wage bill for the last few seasons - if/when we're overtaken by the likes of Newcastle and Villa then yes people will have to adjust their expectations accordingly.

The fact Rodgers is on a top 6 salary doesn't help either but obviously that's not his fault. If he was to accept a pay cut because he can't produce results commensurate with his salary I expect some would cut him more slack though. Obviously I'm not naive enough to think that's a realistic possibility.

10 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Circumstances being Mendy's flight was delayed and Newcastle pulled out...not that it was necessary for them to stay at all.

....my response was to your comment!!!

It wasn't Rodgers that couldn't move Hamza or Mendy over the past 4 windows ... it was Rudkin.

Hamza had a few seasons where he was going out the door, but injuries prevented the moves from going through. Rudkin was proactive in trying to get these players out of the door.

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

Our ups and downs aren’t caused by the phases of the moon. They’re caused by errors of judgement.

That oversimplifies things beyond belief. You think other teams don't have a say in that, injuries, budget constraints, players getting old, players not moving when you want them to etc etc etc. 

11 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

To an extent yes but it's about our metrics in comparison to those teams, not the fact that theirs might have gone up. We've had the 7th/8th biggest wage bill for the last few seasons - if/when we're overtaken by the likes of Newcastle and Villa then yes people will have to adjust their expectations accordingly.

The fact Rodgers is on a top 6 salary doesn't help either but obviously that's not his fault. If he was to accept a pay cut because he can't produce results commensurate with his salary I expect some would cut him more slack though. Obviously I'm not naive enough to think that's a realistic possibility.

Indeed.... and 8th isn't good enough and people expect is to literally be challenging the top 4. Those expectations already need changing. 

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

That oversimplifies things beyond belief. You think other teams don't have a say in that, injuries, budget constraints, players getting old, players not moving when you want them to etc etc etc. 

To add to that, errors will obviously contribute. The biggest being transfers, clubs like ours can't afford to get many wrong. Clubs like Chelsea, Arsenal etc can just keep buying and buying and buying. We can't compete with that. 

26 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

I think if finishing 5th twice and winning the FA Cup hasn't earned him some leeway then a pay cut would probably not do it either. Even if he did for some bizarre reason take one it'd be framed as him trying to lower expectations and shame the board for not investing enough.

To be honest even though I don't feel particularly strongly about him either way I am quite looking forward to him being gone - which I think he will be by this time next year - so we can forget all this and start arguing about his replacement instead.

Edited by Guest

17 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Indeed.... and 8th isn't good enough and people expect is to literally be challenging the top 4. Those expectations already need changing. 

Well I quite agree, although as ever I think people such as yourself wilfully overstate how many people actually think that.

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....my response was to your comment!!!

It wasn't Rodgers that couldn't move Hamza or Mendy over the past 4 windows ... it was Rudkin.

Hamza had a few seasons where he was going out the door, but injuries prevented the moves from going through. Rudkin was proactive in trying to get these players out of the door.

I call B.S. Hamza never had a  move stopped by the manager. Only because deals fell through.

My main point is this: Not every thing wrong at the club is Rodgers fault -- some people on this forum literally blame him for everything.

If you hate his personality. Fine. If you hate his tactics. Fine. If you hate his signings. Fine. If you want him gone. Fine.

But so many on this forum willfully take his words out of context; blame him for things not in his context; and just want to cast him in the worst light possible, it's insane. We have people who seem to want the manager to fail, and their BS is just a cancer for the club. (This is not to say there is anything wrong with a Rodgers Out stance; it's just an attitude they would rather he fail than succeed that I can't stand.)

• Like 3

Just now, Matt said:

Finishing 9th wasn’t good enough for you under Puel….

9th  was Puels peak, 8th is Rodgers lowest. Brendan has also won twice at Wembley. 

• Like 4