Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

I think he’ll be gone at the end of the season. I hope he stays, but I don’t think he’ll take us much further than he has done. You just hope the next one is the one to take us further again, similar to us sacking Puel for Rodgers in the first place. 

Just now, Stadt said:

I tend to agree.

Give a manager a reputation for attacking football and they can serve up really stagnant play for the rest of their career. Rodgers is obviously a very talented manager but he's actually quite cautious most of the time. To progress, with or without Rodgers, we need to be more aggressive with our approach in games.

Definitely. The problem with his over caution is exactly the reason why we don’t seem to have progressed this season. That one point or whatever it was that caused us to miss out on champions league is a loss of revenue and inability to attract higher level players. It’s the difference between signing someone like Berardi instead of Lookman for example, as well as constantly being fvcked whenever a centre back gets injured. Then players like Tielemans, Fofana etc will be starting to look elsewhere...

2 minutes ago, DanNDH88 said:

Definitely. The problem with his over caution is exactly the reason why we don’t seem to have progressed this season. That one point or whatever it was that caused us to miss out on champions league is a loss of revenue and inability to attract higher level players. It’s the difference between signing someone like Berardi instead of Lookman for example, as well as constantly being fvcked whenever a centre back gets injured. Then players like Tielemans, Fofana etc will be starting to look elsewhere...

Our best football under him was arguably with our worst team - the tail end of 18/19 we were electric because we were so aggressive. Maddison and Tielemans as two CMs is a bit open but we looked far more dangerous that way. We give up creativity now to become marginally better defensively - with our personnel attack is probably the best form of defence. Like yesterday when we immediately dropped off at 1-0, why abandon an approach that was clearly working to just put ourselves under pressure?

• Like 3

Just now, Stadt said:

Our best football under him was arguably with our worst team - the tail end of 18/19 we were electric because we were so aggressive. Maddison and Tielemans as two CMs is a bit open but we looked far more dangerous that way. We give up creativity now to become marginally better defensively - with our personnel attack is probably the best form of defence. Like yesterday when we immediately dropped off at 1-0, why abandon an approach that was clearly working to just put ourselves under pressure?

Completely agree - but you need to replace as players always drop off/ get sussed out after a while. And about the 1-0, it’s the same every week. You see teams like Liverpool still going for it even when they’re winning, whereas we sit back like the Norwich game and wait for the inevitable equaliser. Even look at West Ham the other week, if we were 1-0 up and they were down to 10 men we’d have sat back after - whereas they kept going and won 4-1 and played us off the park 

• Like 4

He lifted the players the first time we missed out on the champions league, but to do it again is difficult!  We've all been at work and the boss starts repeating the same message, and then gradually the monkey starts banging the symbols in your head.

What I saw last night confused me, the only pattern of play was too look confused in the middle of the park, I thought Rodgers would change it second half, but it got worse.  I don't want to get rid of him, but this season I feel the team is not playing as a unit.  Rodgers needs to earn his money, and get them playing to the standard we know they can!

1 minute ago, DanNDH88 said:

Completely agree - but you need to replace as players always drop off/ get sussed out after a while. And about the 1-0, it’s the same every week. You see teams like Liverpool still going for it even when they’re winning, whereas we sit back like the Norwich game and wait for the inevitable equaliser. Even look at West Ham the other week, if we were 1-0 up and they were down to 10 men we’d have sat back after - whereas they kept going and won 4-1 and played us off the park 

The most on the nose example is the loss at Bournemouth, we were playing well for the first time in a while in the opening 45 minutes. It was a reactionary move to sub off Iheanacho for Praet and all it did was let them back into the game, if you were the opposition manager playing against a side 1-0 up - you'd want the opposition to be completely passive as the best chance of getting back into the game.

We need to play to our strengths, sitting deep and inviting pressure isn't one of ours.

We need to uncover the next super coach in our next appointment tbh. I’m starting to also agree that 5th and Europa League could well be our limit without a master mind coach and chucking millions into the first team squad. Tbf that’s pretty extraordinary in itself given where we were 10 years ago!

I think this might be one of those transitional seasons where were are going to struggle to maintain a top 5 finish due to losing a world class defender pre season and Evans with that niggly injury that could persist for months. With Maddison and Tielemans not really at their best it could be a difficult season and It might not improve this weekend against Brighton. I am hopeful about some of the new signings such as Soumare, possibly Daka,  and I really think KDH is vastly under rated and should not be overlooked. I hope that Brendan will give them all game time and not stick with players that are off form for too long as I worry that this could cause frustration in the squad.

1 hour ago, Tielemans63 said:

We're not playing well but I have absolute faith in Brendan, he'll get it right sooner rather than later. I think he's trying things to get the balance right and compensate for our defensive injuries. I find talk of the players 'not playing for Brendan' absolutely laughable.

Still find it amazing, despite his success here, how many fans seem to want him to fail. Bizarre 

....a lot think he is limited!!!

Last 32 is the best he has done in Europe that says a lot when he has been in Europe for some time.

He does have a habit of weakening several areas to accommodate a player, instead of coaching a player through a game.

2 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Spot on.

The next level for me is continuing to challenge/disrupt the top six for the next decade, win/go close to trophies and play regularly in Europe as well as improving the club infrastructure.

Some fans seem to think this "next level" thing is challenging for the title.

"Yeah but we've got the best squad we've ever had!"

Is that really true? Maybe in the late 20s and early 60s we had our best ever squads compared to other clubs at the time.

Early sixties side was great and the seventies with Weller Worthington and Glover all of whom would grace the current team wasn't too bad either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Spot on.

The next level for me is continuing to challenge/disrupt the top six for the next decade, win/go close to trophies and play regularly in Europe as well as improving the club infrastructure.

Some fans seem to think this "next level" thing is challenging for the title.

"Yeah but we've got the best squad we've ever had!"

Is that really true? Maybe in the late 20s and early 60s we had our best ever squads compared to other clubs at the time.

This is what I think. Brendan has taken us to the next level since his appointment. The issue is that he has overachieved by coming so close to taking us up two levels in no time at all. As you say, if we can regularly finish top 6, that's massive for me and would be massive for the club as historically we've not been there. This year is the first year we've been in European competition in consecutive seasons.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone actually think BR will be here for the next 5 years? This year 3 now for him. I hope he does because outside the top 4, BR is the best coach in the league, along with Bielsa. I just think he will weigh up his options at the end this season. Managers are like players, vthdy also have a shelf life. 

36 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I love to know all the coaches who would do better and actually what to come to Leicester are.

Sometimes you just need to change things up, it's his third year here and we're still starting most league games with an almost identical XI to 19/20 and because the players arent being kept on their feet the quality of football seems to be decreasing as well. Statistically we are the least progressive team in the league per number of passes and create the least amount of shots per game. I think some fans think a new manager would give a new perspective to this squad as there's more than enough talent in there to be playing better football than we are, for example i think rodgers is really missing a trick with iheanacho and soumare, iheanacho looked excellent at the end of last season, really came into his own, yet rodgers is for some reason choosing to ignore that form and soumare has just come off of a league winning season yet is just getting his first start 5 games in.

Edit: i do still hope that Rodgers is the one to keep us pushing for top 6 but at the moment it seems like we're stagnating

Edited by honeybradger
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Sometimes you just need to change things up, it's his third year here and we're still starting most league games with an almost identical XI to 19/20 and because the players arent being kept on their feet the quality of football seems to be decreasing as well. Statistically we are the least progressive team in the league per number of passes and create the least amount of shots per game.

Based on 4 games?

8 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

I think some fans think a new manager would give a new perspective to this squad as there's more than enough talent in there to be playing better football than we are, for example i think rodgers is really missing a trick with iheanacho and soumare, iheanacho looked excellent at the end of last season, really came into his own, yet rodgers is for some reason choosing to ignore that form and soumare has just come off of a league winning season yet is just getting his first start 5 games in.

So who would you replace him with? You never answered my question. 

Spurs fans where calling out Pochettino a couple of season ago, how did that turn out for them? 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

I love to know all the coaches who would do better and actually what to come to Leicester are.

There are probably decent managers in Europe/rest of the World. I remember when Southampton appointed Poch and the media went mental because they should have gone "for someone who knows the league".

Just because a manager has been successful, it doesn't mean there aren't better managers out there. All managers have their particular level, and sometimes you need another manager to get past that. On the other hand it could go the other way and not work. That's all part of football isn't it. It's tough though because the top 4 are so good, we aren't getting anywhere near them, but I can see Rodgers making us a top 6 side - he's already got two top 6 (consecutive) finishes of course.

Like I said, I don't Rodgers gone personally, but I am worried with some of our performances so far as well as how many shots we seem to face. Also we never seem to move away from playing out the back, which is great when it works but Napoli were pressing us so much, and so high, we were just giving it away. Sunday will be an interesting game.

18 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

There are probably decent managers in Europe/rest of the World. I remember when Southampton appointed Poch and the media went mental because they should have gone "for someone who knows the league".

I don't disagree but replacing him isn't as easy as people think. 

Just because a manager has been successful, it doesn't mean there aren't better managers out there. All managers have their particular level, and sometimes you need another manager to get past that. On the other hand it could go the other way and not work. That's all part of football isn't it. It's tough though because the top 4 are so good, we aren't getting anywhere near them, but I can see Rodgers making us a top 6 side - he's already got two top 6 (consecutive) finishes of course.

Unless we are willing to spend more competing for the top 4 is almost impossible, with or without Rodgers.  

Like I said, I don't Rodgers gone personally, but I am worried with some of our performances so far as well as how many shots we seem to face. Also we never seem to move away from playing out the back, which is great when it works but Napoli were pressing us so much, and so high, we were just giving it away. Sunday will be an interesting game.

How often do you see the top sides moving away from play it out from the back? 

How may top side in the PL or Europe play direct?

Edited by coolhandfox

27 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Couple of things:

Poch replaced Nigel Adkins. With all due respect, you can't compare Rodgers CV with Adkins' CV nor can you compare that Southampton team with where we're at now. 

Rodgers has already made us a top 6 side, he's made us a top 5 side and when you say 'we're not getting anywhere near the top 4'...well we are aren't we? You can't get much closer than 1 point away from the top 4.

Sorry if this seems like a dig at you. I just find it mad that people think he's somehow run his course because we have had a mixed start to the season. Seems so clear to me that the club is building something - can't understand why some of our fans seem so keen for us to move onto the next thing when we're in the best shape we've ever been.

• Like 2