Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

2 hours ago, Koke said:

Does anyone actually think BR will be here for the next 5 years? This year 3 now for him. I hope he does because outside the top 4, BR is the best coach in the league, along with Bielsa. I just think he will weigh up his options at the end this season. Managers are like players, vthdy also have a shelf life. 

Not many coaches last that long in modern football.

People will only realise the job he has done, when he has gone. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

When he eventually moves on he will be regarded as our best ever manager, unanimously. He will win a trophy or two more here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

In spite of the speculation, this might be the best gig Rodgers ever gets. Barring an unforseen disaster, he is plenty good and clever enough to keep us in the EPL top ten for a good few years. He is a coach to be respected no doubt, but I doubt whether he will ever be liked. That is fate of many top managers of course.

I get that some people are critical of him, I too find some of his decisions baffling sometimes, BUT I have no doubt whose footballing brain is the better placed to make those decisions.

BR has continued the transformation from the title winning season and I believe we are definitely the better for it. Our squad is deeper and more balanced than it ever has been and we now genuinely can start to rotate (and make no mistake, in the current era, that is essential) As a club, we are in an excellent place and BR has played an important part in that. I've no idea if we could get a 'better' manager but I know we could do a whole lot worse. At the moment, I think he's well placed and capable of managing us through this current phase (injuries and phasing in new recruits)

My only question is one of his preferred style of football. It's more Man City than Liverpool and I think we're seeing the limitations and weaknesses of tikki-takka, possession based football. We're being turned over by less 'technical' but more physical and energetic footballing sides. We've no answer to 'in your face' and/or pressing football and we seem to be making no progress in combatting it.

Combine that kind of football with technical players, like I believe Chelsea are trying to do (I reckon Chelsea will take the title this season BTW, and maybe pull Man City apart along the way) and I reckon you've got a team for the times. Yes, I'm kinda saying BR could be trying to play an out-moded style of football. One that even if we could achieve might not take us to the next level anyway. I dunno, just thinking aloud.

4 hours ago, Tielemans63 said:

Couple of things:

Poch replaced Nigel Adkins. With all due respect, you can't compare Rodgers CV with Adkins' CV nor can you compare that Southampton team with where we're at now. 

Rodgers has already made us a top 6 side, he's made us a top 5 side and when you say 'we're not getting anywhere near the top 4'...well we are aren't we? You can't get much closer than 1 point away from the top 4.

Sorry if this seems like a dig at you. I just find it mad that people think he's somehow run his course because we have had a mixed start to the season. Seems so clear to me that the club is building something - can't understand why some of our fans seem so keen for us to move onto the next thing when we're in the best shape we've ever been.

Poch was an example, couldn't think of another manager who's come here from Europe when I was typing. I wasn't comparing managers.

I would say top 4 is way off this season because of the strength of squad that Man City/Man Utd/Liverpool/Chelsea have. I can only judge on our results so far and we've played two good sides, Man City and West Ham, who were both better than us. We were 1 point off the top 4 last season. That's over now. We will be much more than 1 point off top 4 this season in my opinion.

I don't think he's run his course here, never said that, I said multiple times I don't want him to go. 

4 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

I don't disagree but replacing him isn't as easy as people think. 

Unless we are willing to spend more competing for the top 4 is almost impossible, with or without Rodgers.  

How often do you see the top sides moving away from play it out from the back? 

How may top side in the PL or Europe play direct?

They know when to go direct. Watch Liverpool and see how many times Van Dijk goes long - he knows when to get rid and go long - Man City did it against us last week too. We just seem to try and play our way out of trouble when we can't do it that well. It just seems Rodgers will never move away from this style. Tbf Evans knows when to go long but that's probably because of his experience and what he's done in his career. 

7 hours ago, Koke said:

Does anyone actually think BR will be here for the next 5 years? This year 3 now for him. I hope he does because outside the top 4, BR is the best coach in the league, along with Bielsa. I just think he will weigh up his options at the end this season. Managers are like players, vthdy also have a shelf life. 

No, managing a club like us for 7 years isn't common but if he is then he'll have done extremely well. 

I don't think the next man will do a significantly better job- for all the frustrations with aspects of Rodgers' management, the general performance and standards have been raised.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jerry said:

Early sixties side was great and the seventies with Weller Worthington and Glover all of whom would grace the current team wasn't too bad either.

I don't think this is true. A training regime of 10 Benson and hedges, two pints of mild and fish and chips every night isn't going to get you through a game these days. Harvey Barnes would be a Messi-standard player if transported to the 70s.

6 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Based on 4 games?

So who would you replace him with? You never answered my question. 

Spurs fans where calling out Pochettino a couple of season ago, how did that turn out for them? 

Ffs. Its not just 4 games. It's since Christmas. We've been turgid for months and yet we still hear "oh we have injuries". It's not that. It's that Rogers is too bloody cautious. 

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Flappit said:

Ffs. Its not just 4 games. It's since Christmas. We've been turgid for months and yet we still hear "oh we have injuries". It's not that. It's that Rogers is too bloody cautious. 

Being the 4th-5th high scores in the last 2 season doesn't seem overly cautious to me. 

Scoring 4, 12 times in the last 2 season.

28 minutes ago, Flappit said:

What were your thoughts when Ranieri was appointed? Same as Gary Lineker's? 

No actually.

45 minutes ago, Flappit said:

I don't think this is true. A training regime of 10 Benson and hedges, two pints of mild and fish and chips every night isn't going to get you through a game these days. Harvey Barnes would be a Messi-standard player if transported to the 70s.

Obviously wasn't alive to see the football then 🙄

On 15/09/2021 at 10:12, Ric Flair said:

What I want to know is though, if he bores you that much has it always been that way under him? 2021 turned pretty turgid and we tend to all agree that without Barnes and Maddison and possibly James Justin it was inevitable given we had no alternatives for left wing, no other decent ACM and we don't have a left wing back good enough to play that flank on their own. Thomas is a good full back but not a wing back.

But under Rodgers if you measure across his entire tenure and especially up to Feb 2021 we have been one of the highest scorers in the Prem not to mention various other successes. You say hes had a prime Tielemans and Barnes at his disposal so that's par for the course but considering Tielemans had quite a poor 2019/20 and Barnes was and possibly is still very much a work in progress I think you're being somewhat unfair. What it does show though for the majority of this is just how good Jamie Vardy has been under Rodgers. It's not really that much of a surprise given what Vardy's achieved here but we've been one of the highest scorers with very inconsistent players and from Feb 19 to Feb 21 Vardy scored something daft like 50 goals.

Is this boredom recent or has it always been there? If its the latter then I've absolutely no tolerance of that and you're an arsehole. If it's the former then I can sort if understand a bit, last season was pragmatic at times when it didn't need to be but then we were fighting 4 competitions with the worst injury list of any club in the top half and thst shouldn't be ignored. We also had an unreal record vs the supposed big 6 which is something everyone criticised Rodgers for prior to last season. Not only did we beat every one of them at least once, we scored a lot of goals vs them in the process too.

When you say we won every game we were favourites, what do you mean by that? I'm confused. Also you say we shit housed an FA Cup final win as if that's something we should be ashamed of. Not many teams beat Chelsea under Tuchel going toe to toe with them and this was a Leicester team on its arse. We'd just lost 4-2 at home to Newcastle, would you be happier if we had lost 4-3 instead? 

Sorry Just before & Shortly After his First introduction, His Club profile....Defender (FB) & midfield (WB)

Plus he had a couple of games, where FR-Posters Praised him on that potential...

Wasnt his goal from a WB position..??

Like Ricardo,Castagna,Justin One should not pidgeon-hole any FB-WB-Winger potential at such a young age...

Far Too many examples around UK & Europe, where 100s of players have interchanged, & Made bigger impact, than the positions where they intitially

Made their name...

Strange thought, when One also expects flexability from the manager...

2 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

It's worth checking the number of trophies we've won since December 2020. You know, just for balance.

Don't get me wrong, it's amazing we've won those trophies, but objectively (look at stats and xg) we've done well to win some games... 

For me our major problem is BR’s tactical decision to continually play goal kicks to either centre back standing very deep in our own penalty box.
It happens pretty much every time we get a goal kick. In the past Schmeichel would sometimes look long or spray a ball wide up to an advanced full back.

I realise this is the method that Pep brought successfully into the league (I’m not sure MCFC do it as much now?) and that it’s done to try and break through the block and expose the opponent’s defence to our fast attack, but to get through it we have to play worldie football that needs every component to work perfectly otherwise we lose the ball deep in our own half.

I wouldnt mind if we mixed it up a bit but we don’t. Opponents have done their homework on us and increase the intensity of the press when we restart in this way. As we all know it usually ends in a desperate pass back to Schmeichel and as a result, at best, a throw in about 25 yards from our goal to our opponents. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....a lot think he is limited!!!

Last 32 is the best he has done in Europe that says a lot when he has been in Europe for some time.

He does have a habit of weakening several areas to accommodate a player, instead of coaching a player through a game.

Going on this forum..I have noticed   in any wide but simple analytical sprectrum  how FT-Posters  are limited 

Just too willing & ready to stick & let their under Diagnose- anal (ystic) opinions,emotions run wild,

over managers and players...

Where & why is the a desperate need to question Rodgers..

No posters will agree, where ,when or who a manager should make substitutions, or agree on Choice of formation,

so Why should the manager,get the cynical incompetent attention from some fans quarters,

believing that they themselves are the only ones who know what he should be doing...

Anybody trying to Play the hard-nosed, sense of reality pundit, just Joins the rank of those surrounded by

too much irrelevant noise & are just commanders of twaddle...

Off-field , fans cant half deliver some absolute nonsense...Football is so Full of it, and posters Cover and smere themselves Full of it....

That IT.. is recognisable under the sign of  Taurus, then  a Contradictive  muttering of silence in SH...

then ends in two Letters that in other cases assumes such enlightment of Intelligence and Technical capabilities.....

>>> BULL  SH   IT <<<<

I am an Happy clapper & have no pretence,desire or basic wish to be an ever present hooked Poster,

in a Witch-finder presence of Chasing negatives over anybody who has delivered(s) more positives

in & on one of  my pastimes or hobby, than any short time negatives...

So long as Brendan delivers over the long journey , any short  hiccups, bumps, twist & turns has Zero relevance...

& Has a Football fan I have no burning desire to write over my own team,Club or manager ,

to puff my chest out & consistently Belch- out "negative I told you so"

Its too weird for my nature....

Life's a shit , so should always be seen in the Light ,of the positive challenge...Supporting all participants ,wonders & failings...

Edited by fuchsntf

Remember when we played this kind of exhilarating, slick, amazing, two touch football. That first part of the 19/20 season was sensational.. Where had the Maddison of 19/20 gone? We have a better squad now rhan 2 years ago bit our football was so much better then. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Koke said:

Rodgers has the players to still play this super football but we seem so slow in moving the ball foward and defensively we look a shadow of what we were 2 years ago 

I don't disagree with your sentiments..

But something I have been saying from the end of 19/20 and through last season, 

We have bettered our squad every season..and here is the big but and point that many posters have just simply missed or understand..

# when has Rodgers had a stable "team

# How can Rodgers hope to build consistency.

# Top teams need a rythm of the same  Choice of player over a period 6-10 games,to build the character & rythm

of the team or a line..Bline,Midfield,attack.

# we finished 5th with inconsistent football, No outfield group of players, had no more than 5 games together,

not because of tactics but due to injury.

# i can't see for love or money,where Rodgers has had a chance to build Upon any team routine,ethos,

again character or that rythm.

# We are still an unknown entity of  individials, who have simply never had the opportunity to build a Team-unit.

# It can't be said loud enough, & should be defended by any decent home- fan. Rodgers has never been able to

Field the same high quality player  of those that make that difference for a club  at our level, to become a                     

consistent successfull challenger. Producing that fluent football.

# We have held our own at the top  end,due to individual quality,but fluent consistent performances

Needs some consistency in the First 5-7 players,learning & playing with each others whims & tendencies.

# I still don't know if that would push us into the top 4 ,but the teams 

Creation,understanding & performances & style would improve ten fold.

# In someways I am proud that our Manager stays humble & does Not Whine or make what would be justifiable excuses.

# plus this situation still makes  substition descisions difficul and not so obvious as it seems to

the fans or outside pundits..

# If your a team , with 16-18 high quality internationals plus high Level youth academy-players,you can

Paper over the cracks..oh yes each Season we have seen the quality of the squad improve, but not at the top

4 rate. or level..

# We have & are really underrating the Consequences of our chronic - injury Problems..

# underrating the time it takes players  to recover not from a niggling injury but major, long time out injuries,

Plus any failed comeback...

Ricardo Maddison, Barnes  Vardy,Ndidi, Evans.                                     

Fofana & Justin, might be exceptions..??

# we gave Ricardo time & understanding  but not Maddison.:dunno:

Edited by fuchsntf