Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 minute ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

So what's the possible outcome you see happening Doc?

I think we'll end up in and around the relegation battle at the world cup break and we will part ways, but I also think you don't get that my objection is with:

"Does anyone think he wants to be sacked?"

Whether I think he'll get sacked is very different from whether I think he wants to get sacked...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I think we'll end up in and around the relegation battle at the world cup break and we will part ways, but I also think you don't get that my objection is with:

Whether I think he'll get sacked is very different from whether I think he wants to get sacked...

Gone by Christmas 

14 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

His race is run here for sure, our underlying stats are on a heavy decline and without change we'll end up circling the drain, but to suggest he wants to be sacked when that'll basically close off the top jobs to him is a bit ridiculous 

Yeah I wasn’t suggesting that. I think he might be in a battle of wills with the owners, but that never ends well. He has a lot of pride and I imagine that pride will drive him to keep trying, but as you say, the stats don’t lie and we are starting to circle the drain. No reason we should with the players we have. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I kind think he would want to go now while Leicester are still in a reasonable position then going under relegation circumstances which might effect his future opportunities 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

15 PL games to go until that point.

We would have to have a terrible run of form for that to happen.

Even when he goes, we don’t have anybody decent lined up. The season is a train wreck. Just hope we don’t lose too many of our better players on the journey.

Just need to ride it out.

Edited by phoneticerror
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, phoneticerror said:

Even when he goes, we don’t have anybody decent lined up. The season is a train wreck. Just hope we don’t lose too many of our better players on the journey.

Just need to ride it out.

A train wreck already? After one game...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, The Doctor said:

I think we're closer than a lot of people might admit.

Because I'm a nerd for this stuff, I've extracted expected goals, expected goals against and expected points from understat for his 125 league games and plotted them in 10 game rolling averages and it doesn't make hugely pretty reading. Basically, if the blue line is above the red one, we're getting more than performances warrant (except for goals conceded where the reverse is true, conceding less than would be expected) and vice versa 

So, let's look at goals first:

Screenshot_20220809-161730.png.428a4539048aba0eec9e20465be48e38.png

We've almost always run hot in front of goal, with one spell during "project Restart" where we were under finishing. The problem I'd that trend. We've had peaks (you can see where that Southampton game comes into the equation) but generally we hit about 1.5 xG per game under Rodgers until March this year where we plummeted to around 1 xG per game, we're creating less and less and that's been trending gradually across his reign

Goals against:

Screenshot_20220809-162831.png.b4b05b95711157df5d2a9bb46e7a88f6.png

Defence started really trending out at the FA cup game and the start of the 2021/22 season. Fofanas return has started to pull it back down (that sharp decline back from averaging 2 xGC per game to 1.5 lines up with him being back), but across his reign it's trending upwards 

Finally points:

Screenshot_20220809-154551.thumb.png.924daf006a3d29aadfa374dbbdaf7844.png Project Restart aside, where we were getting results worse than typical of our performances, we've tended to overachieve under Rodgers. Great? But again, look at the expected points trend. Gradually slipping further and further from again about the Cup final win down to around 1 point per game expected now. Our underlying stats have gotten to relegation battle standard and relying on us to just continuing to run hot and defy them is not a wise bet.

Brilliant work

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

I kind think he would want to go now while Leicester are still in a reasonable position then going under relegation circumstances which might effect his future opportunities 

I agree, Brendan won't want a firing from a relegation candidate on his resume.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Doctor said:

I think we're closer than a lot of people might admit.

Because I'm a nerd for this stuff, I've extracted expected goals, expected goals against and expected points from understat for his 125 league games and plotted them in 10 game rolling averages and it doesn't make hugely pretty reading. Basically, if the blue line is above the red one, we're getting more than performances warrant (except for goals conceded where the reverse is true, conceding less than would be expected) and vice versa 

So, let's look at goals first:

Screenshot_20220809-161730.png.428a4539048aba0eec9e20465be48e38.png

We've almost always run hot in front of goal, with one spell during "project Restart" where we were under finishing. The problem I'd that trend. We've had peaks (you can see where that Southampton game comes into the equation) but generally we hit about 1.5 xG per game under Rodgers until March this year where we plummeted to around 1 xG per game, we're creating less and less and that's been trending gradually across his reign

Goals against:

Screenshot_20220809-162831.png.b4b05b95711157df5d2a9bb46e7a88f6.png

Defence started really trending out at the FA cup game and the start of the 2021/22 season. Fofanas return has started to pull it back down (that sharp decline back from averaging 2 xGC per game to 1.5 lines up with him being back), but across his reign it's trending upwards 

Finally points:

Screenshot_20220809-154551.thumb.png.924daf006a3d29aadfa374dbbdaf7844.png Project Restart aside, where we were getting results worse than typical of our performances, we've tended to overachieve under Rodgers. Great? But again, look at the expected points trend. Gradually slipping further and further from again about the Cup final win down to around 1 point per game expected now. Our underlying stats have gotten to relegation battle standard and relying on us to just continuing to run hot and defy them is not a wise bet.

great post

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Does anyone think he wants to be sacked?

His ego surly must be dented after he hasn't receive any transfer funds, and his so called rebuild hasn't got off the ground and he has to look at the faces of the same players he wanted out.

I don’t think he wants to be sacked.

I do however think he desperately wants out though.

He’s not going to leave/resign and give up compensation he’s entitled too (and rightly or wrongly why should he?)

His ego and reputation definitely wouldn’t want to be sacked, which where I suggested the other day both him and the club have a parting of ways coming to a mutual agreement. As someone quite rightly said to me the other day “mutual agreement” usually means sacked, but our situation mutual agreement would be exactly that, mutual.

Brendan get’s out, some reputation still intact, the club get rid of him for less than we would having to sack him, everyone’s a winner.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Genuinely cannot see how anybody can read that and think he should stay. We are going backwards and are being bailed out by our individual quality, of which will diminish the more we stutter in our recruitment.

The trend is there for all to see. Not the be all and end all but paints a quite good picture and it represents quite close to what I feel I've seen.

Individual quality is the important thing. No club outdid their xG by more than we did in the prem last season (12.5 goals above expected) and only Leverkusen (13.7), Lazio (17.7) and Rennes (13.8) did by more than us in the big 5 European leagues. Near enough all of that over performance was from Vardy (5 goals above his xG) and Maddison (5.5 goals above his xG). Now, the problem is that Vardy is out of contract in 12 months and is if we're honest, not many seasons from retirement, and Maddison is out of contract in 24 months. We have no obvious replacement for Maddison and Vardy he's got two good goalscorers, Iheanacho who he doesn't trust, and Daka who needs a strike partner alongside him. Long term succession for Vardy, do we trust him to change his system to suit the players he's got and stop freezing out good players that he doesn't seem to like? Truthfully, feels like the answer is no. This next 12 months could be make or break as to whether we establish ourselves as perennial European challengers or slide back to constant relegation battles the way Southampton did in the mid part of the 2010s

• Like 1

If Fofana does go I think this will be a game changer for two reasons - 

1) if sold I am really not sure Brendan will stick around, losing one of if not our best player may well be the icing on the cake and him feel that it’s the best time for him to leave as the club can no longer match his ambitions etc etc 

2) we will have cash and this will give the club the opportunity and scope to sack or mutual agreement to leave if they deem that is the best way forward. 

Either way I think the decision to sell Wes or not will have significant influence on Rodgers future with us 

4 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

1) if sold I am really not sure Brendan will stick around, losing one of if not our best player may well be the icing on the cake and him feel that it’s the best time for him to leave as the club can no longer match his ambitions etc etc 

2) we will have cash and this will give the club the opportunity and scope to sack or mutual agreement to leave if they deem that is the best way forward. 

Either way I think the decision to sell Wes or not will have significant influence on Rodgers future with us 

Sadly Brendan's ambitions exceed his talent as we are seeing in his inability to manage a highly talented squad now. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

I still hope that he's not sold but if he has to be that would be a great consolation. Any money left over could then assist a new manager. The worst case scenario for me would be that Fofana is sold and Rodgers gets a say in reinvesting the money. A doomsday scenario. 

• Like 1