Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Just have to be patient. Things are coming together. Some of our passing and forward progression were absolute magic last night. Remember watching. thinking and waiting for us to miss a pass in some stretches and it would just keep on going and going. Watching their defenders chase our shadows down the field. If you're willing to look the glimpses are there and starting to take hold. Lots of new players to integrate into the way we play. Its more than numbers. Its learning to press. create relationships and building a sixth sense between our players.  We all know what it looks like when it works.......Magic.

He has blind spots which are frustrating. The persistence with certain players and the commitment to a style that isn't always ideal are the two big issues. 

Sometimes you need to see flexibility, which Ranners was very, very good at in that year, and it's difficult to watch him beat the wrong drum. Sometimes let's **** off the sexy football and get agricultural. For every passing move we need a smash and grab. 

With that in mind he knows much more than I about football and he's been defying expectations and gravity. 

• Like 1

Guest Danny Clender

I don’t understand the ‘we’ve over achieved’ sentiment. 
Sure, 2015-16 (when I started supporting the mighty LCFC) surprise, over achievement, lucky etc are all discussable terms, but I don’t think we’re over achieving at all now, or since Rodgers arrived, we’re exactly where we should be and matching the club’s philosophy that is communicated from the club.

Can anyone contradict what the club has said, to what has happened or is happening? 

Rodgers is perfect for us in terms of the way we sign young and develop and then play to the best abilities we can, this is how the club will continue to evolve. 

Guest Danny Clender
19 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Spot on.

The next level for me is continuing to challenge/disrupt the top six for the next decade, win/go close to trophies and play regularly in Europe as well as improving the club infrastructure.

Some fans seem to think this "next level" thing is challenging for the title.

"Yeah but we've got the best squad we've ever had!"

Is that really true? Maybe in the late 20s and early 60s we had our best ever squads compared to other clubs at the time.

Impossible to answer if it is really true, but if “is this our best squad ever?” were a referendum, I think I could win the campaign for the Yes vote. 
It truly is a magnificent squad that’s only going to get better. 

Although, when you say late 20’s early 60’s are you talking about the future or past? 

Edited by Danny Clender

10 hours ago, Koke said:

Rodgers has the players to still play this super football but we seem so slow in moving the ball foward and defensively we look a shadow of what we were 2 years ago 

19/20 between September and early December we were the best I’ve ever seen Leicester. Absolutely incredible football, slick, good on the eye, pacey on the counter with a but could dominate games with possession whilst having a solid defensive shape. Think we hit the half way point at around 40 points? Which mirrored would have had has us on 80 for the season. I don’t think we’ve ever got back to that level, for different reasons. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Flappit said:

Don't get me wrong, it's amazing we've won those trophies, but objectively (look at stats and xg) we've done well to win some games... 

It's a good job you don't win trophies based on stats and xg then isn't it? 

• Like 2

Guest Danny Clender
2 minutes ago, Flappit said:

We were

Can someone get that “Foxes Never Quit” motif changed to “Foxes Used to Never Quit” cheers butty. 

2 minutes ago, Flappit said:

We were

A section of our fans have been out for Rodgers limitations for well over a year now after the collapse in 2019/20. Last season I thought we were nowhere near as fluid as we are capable and yet we consistently overturned games we had gone behind in or were struggling and got results. 

This is a crucial period now for Rodgers. He needs to get his preferred players back on form or give the likes of KDH, Soumare etc their chance to shine. We can't afford to carry players.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, StanSP said:

It's a good job you don't win trophies based on stats and xg then isn't it? 

Misunderstanding of what statistics and xg shows you is a common theme on this board. The usual response is along the lines of what you've said, or "Leicester outperform xg, so there".

It's possible for a team (or an individual in a team) to defy statistics and xg for short periods. Confidence, player form or luck can have an effect here. It isn't possible to do this over an extended period and teams will revert to the norm, because that is where the statistics are harvested from! 

Do the recently quoted statistics about the number of shots we've had (and faced) not concern you? It should. Until that is addressed, there will be no turnaround in form. 

We have only two players out with injury now. Fofana and Justin. Both would make a difference but we aren't ravaged as we were. Rogers has become obsessed with trying to control games and (rightly) thinks that denying the opposition the ball stops them dominating and scoring. However, if (like our players do with alarming regularity) you give the ball away under pressure, you are vulnerable to counter attack. We did it to other teams in 15/16 and it now happens to us as our style of play is slow and predictable. 

I think this is going to be a long, tough season and, unless Rogers frees the players from the ridiculous shackles he has imposed AND lets some of the new signings and more in-form players play, we will finish lower half of the table. We have good, even great, players. They are currently being mis-managed. 

Edited by Flappit
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

19/20 between September and early December we were the best I’ve ever seen Leicester. Absolutely incredible football, slick, good on the eye, pacey on the counter with a but could dominate games with possession whilst having a solid defensive shape. Think we hit the half way point at around 40 points? Which mirrored would have had has us on 80 for the season. I don’t think we’ve ever got back to that level, for different reasons. 

We have a better squad now and I hope we get back to that type of football again.because as you said, it was sensational.. For some reason Maddison has fallen off, Soyuncu isn't what he used to be, and injuries overall has killed us. 

People will read this and twist what I'm saying as an ungrateful entitled fan who "has it out for Rodgers" but it's quite the opposite. I've seen the football Rodgers got us playing and I just want us to get back to that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flappit said:

Misunderstanding of what statistics and xg shows you is a common theme on this board. The usual response is along the lines of what you've said, or "Leicester outperform xg, so there".

It's possible for a team (or an individual in a team) to defy statistics and xg for short periods. Confidence, player form or luck can have an effect here. It isn't possible to do this over an extended period and teams will revert to the norm, because that is where the statistics are harvested from! 

Do the recently quoted statistics about the number of shots we've had (and faced) not concern you? It should. Until that is addressed, there will be no turnaround in form. 

We have only two players out with injury now. Fofana and Justin. Both would make a difference but we aren't ravaged as we were. Rogers has become obsessed with trying to control games and (rightly) thinks that denying the opposition the ball stops them dominating and scoring. However, if (like our players do with alarming regularity) you give the ball away under pressure, you are vulnerable to counter attack. We did it to other teams in 15/16 and it now happens to us as our style of play is slow and predictable. 

I think this is going to be a long, tough season and, unless Rogers frees the players from the ridiculous shackles he has imposed AND lets some of the new signings and more in-form players play, we will finish lower half of the table. We have good, even great, players. They are currently being mis-managed. 

Considering you seem to know it all, what team selection & tactical changes would you make differently?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Flappit said:

The issue with xG it is that it assumes every player is born equal.

There is no taking into account the actual quality of the player taking the shot or making the save.  

Ronaldo and Albrighton can have a chance will the same xG, but who is more likely to score?

From 2014-2020, Kane, Vardy, Mohamed Salah and many more have all out performed their xG, so it is possible to defy xg for long periods. 

If you use xG, xF and Xa, Man C should have won the 2019/20 title over Liverpool by 13 points rather then losing it by 18 points. Using those stats Liverpool should have got 39 fewer point over the 2018/19- 2019/20 seasons.

Once again it is possible to out preform xG, xF and xA for long periods of time, because it does't take in to account player quality.

xG is effectively evaluating the quality of 'chances' created. The team that has the higher xG in a match doesn’t necessarily imply that they should’ve won the game. xG is only measuring chance quality and not the expected outcome of the game.

I will have a bet with you that we don't finish in the bottom half, £500? How confident are you? 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

Rodgers is not a skills coach, he is a tactician. I doubt whether there is anything he doesn't know about tactics. I am pretty sure he thinks our current  tactics produce the best results overall .So far he has been pretty correct in that judgement.  However every plan has a counterplan and opposition managers have largely worked us out. If you have team of inspirational players , you can always impose yourself no matter what , but we do not. We are producing few chances because we are being neutralised in midfield.  He needs to rotate frequently in my opinion to set the opposition different questions.

3 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

I genuinely believe the balance of the team is off due to the amount of injuries we’ve had. This is why the performance has tailed off. When the balance of the team is right all of the stars will shine like they did in that first part of 19/20. 

Consistent significant injuries over a long time will inevitably upset the rhythm and confidence. For me the big problem has been the defence where arguably the same back line have not been able to have 3 or more games together, particularly with the central defence. 

Rodgers can adjust to this in part, like when Barnes was injured and he was forced to play Iheanacho. Obviously he does have his limitations but isn’t that the case of all managers? More often than not he has got things right and we can’t expect our team to be in the top 6 all the time. There will be dips.

The good thing is despite the inconsistencies we’ve seen there’s slowly but surely bits of excellent creative play creeping in. It might be a nice change that we gradually grow into the season and the new additions could add a new dimension to our play. There are some issues but in my opinion there’s plenty to be optimistic for about this season.

I agree completely with this. I think we're missing Little Wes hugely, after Youri, he's probably our most talented player in my view. HIs ability to bring the ball out and in to midfield is a huge part of how we usually play, his pace also means that he takes his chance further up the pitch. We're having to be more conservative because we haven't got Wes' pace in the back line to both carry the ball and get back rapidly hence why we're defending a lot more deeply.

My hope is that Vestergaard isn't back to 100% yet and that's why he isn't bringing the ball out as much as we probably expected him to when he signed. I'd also like to see those long diagonal balls that Vestergaard allegedly has in his locker. I'm not sure why we haven't seen that yet.

Throw in that Evans is our organiser and is crocked and that Soyuncu's confidence seems to have taken a battering since the Euros - we're going through a testing period and we've just go to get through it. Personally, I think Cags stringing together some good performances and regaining his mojo is the key. TBF I think it has been extremely difficult for Vestergaard to come in and play next to a guy who is so unsure of himself.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Rodgers is not a skills coach, he is a tactician. I doubt whether there is anything he doesn't know about tactics. I am pretty sure he thinks our current  tactics produce the best results overall .So far he has been pretty correct in that judgement.  However every plan has a counterplan and opposition managers have largely worked us out. If you have team of inspirational players , you can always impose yourself no matter what , but we do not. We are producing few chances because we are being neutralised in midfield.  He needs to rotate frequently in my opinion to set the opposition different questions.

...got to say he is more a skills coach than a tactician!!!

There is no doubt that injuries continue to  limit any consistency and momentum Rodgers is aiming for (I really admire the fact he doesn’t use this as an excuse). 

He has had to adapt and be a little more pragmatic and I am surprised at any Leicester fan who would describe 2 fifth place finishes and an FA Cup as disappointing. 

The issue for me is that (despite the amount of goals we are scoring) we are not great to watch. I believe we are just too predictable. As many have said, Rodgers idea that you can control the game with possession has ultimately limited our progressive flair. We see flashes of brilliance (first goal on Thursday) but breaking the lines is becoming harder and harder as teams come to press us high and suffocate our back line. 

Im not a huge fan of Lingard but we are crying out for someone similar to run beyond the front man and give opposition defenders something else to consider. Seeing the ball played in front of you for 90 minutes is as comfortable as it gets for a defender. Currently our only chance of scoring is when someone does something exceptional. We don’t score many scrappy, easy goals. 

A little more flexibility and fluidity needed I think!

Edited by The Prince