Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

There is a common misunderstanding that Managers are responsible for incoming players. Most clubs utilize some form of committee to select new players so as much as I dislike Rodgers I can't allocate either blame or credit for any successes or failures.

Guest itude
8 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Apparantely we are rumoured to be lining up Benitez as a replacement according to some clickbait Facebook page, rather stick pins in my eyes 😂 

I’ll be honest I’ve been leaning over the Rodgers out side of the fence for a while but at this point I’ve lost all faith in his ability to fix this. 

Honestly if it was cost effective I’d pull the trigger now and get Graham Potter in. The boat has sailed on a big job for atleast another season or two for him, can’t see him getting the Chelsea job if it becomes available, and the other comparable clubs are relatively settled.  

No idea how much this is going to cost though. 

Probably less than a "Vestergaard"

Our creative ability has cratered. There’s some merit in the idea we struggled because of fatigue last season but we were consistently getting away with winning games where we made almost nothing. Brentford and Palace stood out the most in this regard.

At the tail end of last season we scored about half of our goals from poor headed backpasses. We don’t very often create the sort of good quality chances; cutbacks, tap ins and one-on-ones competent sides do.

We can’t rely on superb finishing to bail us out for ever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gurru991 said:

There is a common misunderstanding that Managers are responsible for incoming players. Most clubs utilize some form of committee to select new players so as much as I dislike Rodgers I can't allocate either blame or credit for any successes or failures.

He literally brought his own recruitment man with him from Celtic.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Our creative ability has cratered. There’s some merit in the idea we struggled because of fatigue last season but we were consistently getting away with winning games where we made almost nothing. Brentford and Palace stood out the most in this regard.

At the tail end of last season we scored about half of our goals from poor headed backpasses. We don’t very often create the sort of good quality chances; cutbacks, tap ins and one-on-ones competent sides do.

Case in point the opening 2 games of last season, Wolves an Norwich, we were lucky in both games, but two moments of magic from Ricardo and 2 world class finishes from Vardy helped us over the line.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gurru991 said:

He certainly did but did he have absolute power !

Based on what I've seen unfold I'd probably say he wasn't a million miles off initially. I'd say Rudkin and Top were probably delighted to secure a manager with such pedigree that they essentially gave him carte blanche

Over time, they've seen us regress a touch in certain aspects and have clearly made an effort to wrestle back that control over the past 6-12 months especially. We tend to make mistakes, but we rarely make the same mistake twice as a club. (A skill that Brendan could probably do with developing)

I'm not saying Rodgers scouted, picked and negotiated the deals. I certainly think that by bringing in his own people he was certainly able to go about business freely in the first couple of years. That Perez signing was one of the weirdest.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I feel like I've been saying this for 18 months and it's still happening lol

8 hours ago, Vacamion said:

You need to be able to succinctly put your feelings into a short, pithy message which will fit on a banner.

I *think* I've managed to distill the views expressed on the forum, so here you go:

Screenshot_20220811-161013_DuckDuckGo.jpg.1dc8cd43866b7d11d2d77429cf68212c.jpg

Ok... so not anything libellous or obscene ...but it will cost £900 for a plane to circle the ground for 15minutrs.

"NEVER TO BLAME - TAXI4RODGERS"   .... suggestions please? (Up to 30 characters)

If 18 of us throw in £50 we can do it...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Based on what I've seen unfold I'd probably say he wasn't a million miles off initially. I'd say Rudkin and Top were probably delighted to secure a manager with such pedigree that they essentially gave him carte blanche

Over time, they've seen us regress a touch in certain aspects and have clearly made an effort to wrestle back that control over the past 6-12 months especially. We tend to make mistakes, but we rarely make the same mistake twice as a club. (A skill that Brendan could probably do with developing)

I'm not saying Rodgers scouted, picked and negotiated the deals. I certainly think that by bringing in his own people he was certainly able to go about business freely in the first couple of years. That Perez signing was one of the weirdest.

I agree with you. I think Leicester were totally in awe of of BR when he arrived but I think Rodgers has lost some power especially with Congerton gone. I don't think the club want to chase any Rodgers picks until the future is a little clearer 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viktor-LCFC said:

Case in point the opening 2 games of last season, Wolves an Norwich, we were lucky in both games, but two moments of magic from Ricardo and 2 world class finishes from Vardy helped us over the line.  

And that is how we boringly limped throughout the entire season. Our finishing position flattered to deceive. We won't always be able to rely on the individual skill of certain players because they won't be here any longer. 

47 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

OK, maybe my previously suggesting that Brendan orally satisfies canines in such stark language was over the the top, and I take on board entirely your suggestion that one would  need to keep it clean and respectable, so I am suggesting:

Screenshot_20220812-012027_DuckDuckGo.jpg.b64d80430a7a57b8a4d64d6b0d3684b3.jpg

Or perhaps

Screenshot_20220812-011732_DuckDuckGo.jpg.241a11be00d6c5ff7774aa27354698af.jpg

Or maybe (and you can read this last one in a Caribbean accent to make it more fun) :

Screenshot_20220812-011647_DuckDuckGo.jpg.29d8d1c229a947afbb0673869b3c819f.jpg

I know. I know, I'm sticking to a theme, here, but as a dyslexic atheist, I really can't stand Dog Botherers.

'Brent Rodgers, a legend in his own lunchtime'

Guest Col city fan
4 hours ago, Vacamion said:

OK, maybe my previously suggesting that Brendan orally satisfies canines in such stark language was over the the top, and I take on board entirely your suggestion that one would  need to keep it clean and respectable, so I am suggesting:

Screenshot_20220812-012027_DuckDuckGo.jpg.b64d80430a7a57b8a4d64d6b0d3684b3.jpg

Or perhaps

Screenshot_20220812-011732_DuckDuckGo.jpg.241a11be00d6c5ff7774aa27354698af.jpg

Or maybe (and you can read this last one in a Caribbean accent to make it more fun) :

Screenshot_20220812-011647_DuckDuckGo.jpg.29d8d1c229a947afbb0673869b3c819f.jpg

I know. I know, I'm sticking to a theme, here, but as a dyslexic atheist, I really can't stand Dog Botherers.

😂😂😂The top two are brilliant!

Edited by Col city fan

5 hours ago, filbertway said:

100% agree, reminds me a little bit of the time under Sven where the club made some bad errors of judgement and we lost our way. It seems similar under Rodgers, we had a business/recruitment model which was very successful, we then recruited Rodgers who at the time was enjoying great success at Celtic and his appointment was seen as somewhat of a coup. 

His first 9 months were unbelievable he had us playing some of if not the best brand of football I had ever seen in my lifetime as a Leicester fan, at this point Arsenal were sniffing and the club, at the time, quite rightly protected their asset by rewarding him with a bumper new contract and allowing him greater influence and control including the appointment of Congerton as Head of Recruitment. This was fine whilst challenging for Champions League and winning the FA Cup but last season the cracks started to show, mixed recruitment with Daka and Soumare buys more in line with club strategy and then Bertrand and Vesty that were outside of the strategy, whilst Vestergard was a panic buy I still believe there were other options that would have represented better value and stayed within our model. As for Bertrand, whilst he was a replacement for Fuchs, I thought the length of contract and wage was again outside the parameters we work too especially for a player who is past his prime. 

it is clear the club is wrestling back control and I think it is a matter of time before there is a parting of the ways. At this point I think the club will take this opportunity to go back to the  tried and tested model and go for a profile of manager who thrives in that type of environment, not Pearson but that type of manager, that is why Potter is often touted, but I think that ship has sailed now. Thomas Frank would be another who could come in and fit with the philosophy of the club. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

But that isn't really an accurate reflection. Castagne has never come close to the levels that Ricardo, a past player of the season, used to play at. Fofana, whilst financially a great investment for us, has returned and his partnership with Evans looks worse than Evans and Soyuncu's partnership in Rodgers's first season. Justin is a lesser player than Chilwell. Barnes was actually Puel's doing. He actually recalled him during the season and gave him more game time.

KDH is the brightest spark. But he wasn't 'developed' by us, he barely kicked a ball before . What actually got him into the team? Injuries. Since then, KDH's own form has made him undroppable. I think the weekend was further proof that Rodgers really can't take credit for him. He was clearly our best midfielder on the pitch, and has been ahead of Tielemans since he came into the side, but Rodgers kept Tielemans on because he has a loyalty towards certain players, even if underperforming. 

So in four years, there's not one noticeable signing that has improved the starting XI that Rodgers has made. Nobody seems to be able to answer why there's a belief he will suddenly be able to recruit well, when it's been terrible here for 4 years, and was poor at Celtic and Liverpool.

He wasn’t poor. There’s flops but there were success at both clubs. His record is patchy. Much like here.

Liverpool he signed Coutinho, Milner and Firmino. Gomez, Lovren and Origi have all proved their worth over time. 

Celtic had Dembele and Edouard arrived who were subsequently sold for millions of profit. Ntcham, Sinclair did well. Hendry and Bain have gone on to have good careers. 

It’s hardly a superb record but it’s not necessarily poor. All it’s a moot point now anyway because the club appear to taken it all back under their own watch 

7 hours ago, Viktor-LCFC said:

I mean, Adama Traore having all pace no ability did more for that than the goal v Wolves. How many one v ones did he not even hit the target with?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

100% agree, reminds me a little bit of the time under Sven where the club made some bad errors of judgement and we lost our way. It seems similar under Rodgers, we had a business/recruitment model which was very successful, we then recruited Rodgers who at the time was enjoying great success at Celtic and his appointment was seen as somewhat of a coup. 

His first 9 months were unbelievable he had us playing some of if not the best brand of football I had ever seen in my lifetime as a Leicester fan, at this point Arsenal were sniffing and the club, at the time, quite rightly protected their asset by rewarding him with a bumper new contract and allowing him greater influence and control including the appointment of Congerton as Head of Recruitment. This was fine whilst challenging for Champions League and winning the FA Cup but last season the cracks started to show, mixed recruitment with Daka and Soumare buys more in line with club strategy and then Bertrand and Vesty that were outside of the strategy, whilst Vestergard was a panic buy I still believe there were other options that would have represented better value and stayed within our model. As for Bertrand, whilst he was a replacement for Fuchs, I thought the length of contract and wage was again outside the parameters we work too especially for a player who is past his prime. 

it is clear the club is wrestling back control and I think it is a matter of time before there is a parting of the ways. At this point I think the club will take this opportunity to go back to the  tried and tested model and go for a profile of manager who thrives in that type of environment, not Pearson but that type of manager, that is why Potter is often touted, but I think that ship has sailed now. Thomas Frank would be another who could come in and fit with the philosophy of the club. 

All very understandable from the clubs POV as well. Getting a name like Rodgers at the time and the football he had us playing was insane. I'd have had him sign a blank contract in Feb 2020 :D So I've definitely learned that things can change quickly haha. 

Pretty much my thoughts on the matter. It feels like a matter of time and I wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement that the club and Rodgers have mutually decided to part ways. Although if he carries on with his in match shenanigans then maybe he'll force us to bite the bullet.

I'd genuinely be tempted to look at Potter or Cooper next. Both have done well with the resources at their disposal.  At the minute, I think we still represent a step up from Brighton and definitely Forest, and offer a genuine pathway to a crack at managing an elite club if they performed well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

Long form interview with Rodgers on Ben and Kammy's "Proper Football" podcast posted yesterday. Might be worth its own topic, I dunno. 

Haven't listened to it yet but they're gushing over Seagrave at the top.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0cs8ct7

I can’t bring myself to listen to him any more, it’s that bad 

• Like 1