Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

What I don’t get is why he is so adamant to play three at the back whenever Barnes is out, when our squad is literally perfect to set up in a 4-3-1-2 formation.

I believe that’s the formation we started against Liverpool last season, of course it was backs to the wall stuff for huge parts of the game, but overall it was one of our best performances and wins of the season. 

Against Brentford & Arsenal there’s no real logic in starting Amartey, when he could so easily have gone with a 4-3-1-2 with that extra attacker in Iheanacho or Daka. 

Everything is an instant negative mindset with Rodgers nowadays, his negative ways cost us numerous times last season, they’ve already cost us twice this season.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

A sad indictment of Rodgers and our team is we no longer have the real competitive fight in closely fought games to get a late winner or even a draw. I cannot even remember the last time we scored a meaningful last minute goal? We got a late one to go through vs PSV which I think most of us were so shocked with how we turned that around but it will be well over a year since we did it in the league. Yet at the same time we've thrown over 10 points away late on in 2022 alone.

We're a busted flush, so easy to play against. You can let us go ahead and we'll gift the opposition a phase of play to turn the game in their favour or if we go behind then there's a very good chance that we'll not turn it around either. 

Couldn’t agree more, the saddest indictment in all of this is we no longer have that fearless identity. For me Rodgers has slowly changed our culture away from that, which is ironic as Fearless suggests somewhat of an underdog which aligns with his recent comments of us overachieving and yet he has tried to turn us into a team that mirrors the approach of one of the top 4 where we control the game via possession rather than blood and thunder. We are weak, nice and it all seems a bit too comfortable and that comes 100% from Rodgers and his back room team. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Given our financial situation, unable to buy annd seemingly sell players, players losing form, the strengthening of all our rivals and the general malaise that's setting in, what position do you think we should finish in?

I think we'll do well to finish above 12th.

I'll be over the moon with 17th

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

When he can field a 433 with good wide options, a good midfield, a strong defence with Ndidi in front of it to cover for defensive organisation not being his strength and the like of Ricardo fit and on form -  fantastic. I truly don't believe any of O'Neill, Pearson, Ranieri etc could come close to coaching the attacking movement Rodgers had us pulling off at our peak. 

Problem is, he's woeful when he's got to deviate. Yes, he came up with some clever tactical tweaks for away trips Tottenham, Man City and Leeds but all this really came down to was a low block and Barnes and Vardy's pace. It wasn't rocket science. 

I think this is a well balanced post, probably the best so far on the current situation.

The only thing I would counter is the above in regards to the 4-3-3. Lets say he does have good options on the wings to play his preferred system/style of play, he would still deviate even when there’s no need to.

Harvey Barnes and Chilwell playing LWB and LCB against Villa in the cup springs to mind. There’s countless other examples of Brendan making unnecessary tactical changes. 

It’s a massive weakness of his to be honest. Constantly trying to out smart the opponent instead of keeping things simple (countering Brentford’s subs was the latest mistake).

Brendan is someone who wants to constantly chop and change systems, formations and tactics which leads to errors and points lost. I don’t think it will be different just because he has good options (mainly wingers) for his preferred system.

Edited by Shane

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

A sad indictment of Rodgers and our team is we no longer have the real competitive fight in closely fought games to get a late winner or even a draw. I cannot even remember the last time we scored a meaningful last minute goal? We got a late one to go through vs PSV which I think most of us were so shocked with how we turned that around but it will be well over a year since we did it in the league. Yet at the same time we've thrown over 10 points away late on in 2022 alone.

We're a busted flush, so easy to play against. You can let us go ahead and we'll gift the opposition a phase of play to turn the game in their favour or if we go behind then there's a very good chance that we'll not turn it around either. 

Vardy vs Burnley last season was late I think? But you're right. 

I think it just epitomises a couple of things. Firstly, our woeful game management. Reared it's ugly head on Saturday again when we got a goal to reduce deficit but threw it away straight away, literally twice. I don't get how it even gets rectified - the players just seem to lose concentration when it comes to the crux point in matches, and Rodgers is like a rabbit in headlights when shit starts to unravel within a game. The Spurs game still sends shivers down my spine. Absolutely God-awful. 

Secondly, we're just...soft. Mentally and physically. No one seems to be willing to put their body on the line. The aggression may be there in spurts throughout the match, but we don't have anyone like Romero, Fabinho, Xhaka, Rodri - a player willing to take one for the team and be a bit nasty and get away with it. We just seen a bit scared to hurt anyone. Ndidi was the closest we had in terms of a 'destroyer' but even now he appears to have his game changed to go away from that destructive player to a weaker one. Even Soyuncu would put his body about because he used to be a hard bastard but even now that's gone. 

Take that Spurs game for example - why the fvck is no one chopping down Bale or Bergwijn even when the ball is given away. We feel sorry for ourselves on the pitch too often. 

I'm all for being technical and composed and comfortable on the ball. But that shouldn't mean we take away the suitable and necessary levels of aggression both physically and mentally to be able to succeed in this league. We need a fvcking psycho somewhere on the pitch. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

I think Europe for a club like us is as much of a curse as a gift.

Looking at West Ham form in the last 29 P 29 W 9 D 6 L 14 F 37 A 41 Pts 33 (equivalent of a 43 point season).

Wins: Watford (2), Norwich (2) Everton (1) Villa (1) Palace (1) Wolves (1) Chelsea (1)

Seem to be have the same impact on the, Moyes is under pressure like Rodgers on their forum 

Seem like a very similar story. 

Very much so, FFP has wrestled back the advantage to the “top 6”.
I expect we will pip West Ham to the 7th slot this season and then be pipped by another team next as the rest of us can’t compete anymore.

The likes of West Ham, us and now Newcastle maybe Brighton 1 or 2 more are playing for 7th with maybe an outside chance of 6th ever so often which will rotate between us as none of us can cope.

Chelsea have just bid £40m for Gordon, they don’t need him but they can stack him and he’d be willing to sit on the bench collect the wedge, winners medals and have the odd game, there isn’t a club outside that “top 6” that can do that.

18 hours ago, StanSP said:

You don't even go to the games lol

Sorry for the late reply. Had to wait until I was next allowed to post again.

No you’re right. I don’t. You conveniently have ignored the reason why I don’t though- The manager. 

If I want to get pissed off, angry, frustrated and have my weekend ruined I can go and play golf now, rather than watch that insufferable idiot run our club into the ground, and essentially slate the best owners in the country to the worlds media.

I’d also suggest that the combined cost of doing Warsaw, Napoli, Rennes and Roma away last season (throw in some gambled flights to Tirana if you want)  is probably quadruple the amount spent on a fan who only has a ST and doesn’t do any away games domestically, never mind internationally. So I’d say I’m very entitled to my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

No you’re right. I don’t. You conveniently have ignored the reason why I don’t though- The manager. 

If I want to get pissed off, angry, frustrated and have my weekend ruined I can go and play golf now, rather than watch that insufferable idiot run our club into the ground, and essentially slate the best owners in the country to the worlds media.

I’d also suggest that the combined cost of doing Warsaw, Napoli, Rennes and Roma away last season (throw in some gambled flights to Tirana if you want)  is probably quadruple the amount spent on a fan who only has a ST and doesn’t do any away games domestically, never mind internationally. So I’d say I’m very entitled to my opinion. 

You validate your opinion by taking the escape of golf and not going to the games. Fair enough. But then you want to spend hard-earned money on a plane and a sign to show your disdain. 

I don't get it. 

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

You validate your opinion by taking the escape of golf and not going to the games. Fair enough. But then you want to spend hard-earned money on a plane and a sign to show your disdain. 

I don't get it. 

I still care about the club, and want the best for it. When you’ve come to the conclusion that he’s poisonous for the club and is making our owners look a laughing stock, there are bigger things at stake than ‘supporting’ the manager 

16 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I've read some rubbish on here, but people talking about 17th.

People were saying it was an underachievement for this squad to finish 8th last season. 

Unbelievable.

I can see the logic around people talking about 17th as there's something clearly wrong at the club. The manager is in the press every opportunity having digs, the players are making the same basic mistakes over and over and there doesn't seem to be any solution presenting itself for any of the issues. There are no proactive or even reactive steps being taken at the minute. 

The squad is good enough to challenge this season, it does need some competition desperately in the wide areas but other than that there is enough quality to at least finish top half. If the manager is unhappy and doesn't feel like he can get the best out of the squad because he needs a rebuild then he should resign his fat pay packet and let someone else who would want to do the job come in and do it. 

10 million pounds a year and all we are getting at the minute is snide remarks and stupid excuses.

• Like 1

Just now, pmcla26 said:

And who is to say that your suggested ideas/opinions on the manager are 100% what is right for it? 

Well hanging on to him whilst he publicly (on a weekly basis currently) jibes our owner is hardly what’s best for the club is it?

When he eventually leaves this club the narrative from the press will be that he’s been hard done to. Our owners will look like the bad guys when we all know that isn’t true and that they’ve always had the best interests of the club and county at heart. It seems like you’re prepared to have the backlash from 91 other clubs fans plus the media (just like we did after Ranieri) for the sake of supporting a manager who is only out for himself. Not for you. Not for LCFC. For himself only. 

Your support for him is both baffling and in a weird way, admirable. I support LCFC though, not Brendan Rodgers FC.

27 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

People were saying it was an underachievement for this squad to finish 8th last season. 

Unbelievable.

This squad should be finishing around 7th but 17th is understandably a concern with things as they are at the moment. There's seemingly zero plan B, Barnes picks up an injury and we're playing something we didn't trial once in preseason, with Amartey hung out to dry on the left when he's very heavily right sided. We're so mentally soft, have come from behind to win once (v Watford) in about the last year (the only other time I can remember last season is at home to Man Utd in October). The squad is good enough that when flying it's a European qualification contender, but the malaise at the moment risks dragging us into a relegation battle and if it does, so we really have the fortitude to get out? I'd suggest not.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Vardy vs Burnley last season was late I think? But you're right. 

I think it just epitomises a couple of things. Firstly, our woeful game management. Reared it's ugly head on Saturday again when we got a goal to reduce deficit but threw it away straight away, literally twice. I don't get how it even gets rectified - the players just seem to lose concentration when it comes to the crux point in matches, and Rodgers is like a rabbit in headlights when shit starts to unravel within a game. The Spurs game still sends shivers down my spine. Absolutely God-awful. 

Secondly, we're just...soft. Mentally and physically. No one seems to be willing to put their body on the line. The aggression may be there in spurts throughout the match, but we don't have anyone like Romero, Fabinho, Xhaka, Rodri - a player willing to take one for the team and be a bit nasty and get away with it. We just seen a bit scared to hurt anyone. Ndidi was the closest we had in terms of a 'destroyer' but even now he appears to have his game changed to go away from that destructive player to a weaker one. Even Soyuncu would put his body about because he used to be a hard bastard but even now that's gone. 

Take that Spurs game for example - why the fvck is no one chopping down Bale or Bergwijn even when the ball is given away. We feel sorry for ourselves on the pitch too often. 

I'm all for being technical and composed and comfortable on the ball. But that shouldn't mean we take away the suitable and necessary levels of aggression both physically and mentally to be able to succeed in this league. We need a fvcking psycho somewhere on the pitch. 

Yeh...I am here the otherside of Germany,trying to Civilise the bunch of them...Into Lefthandside driving, to create sad Football forums they are Way Too happy

I don't think any of us see our eighth place finish last season as being a bad league campaign. However, we simply do not pass the eye test. Most of our goals come from bits of individual quality or defensive errors. When was the last time we really opened the opposition up with good attacking play? Usually when we score it comes out of nowhere. We are no longer having sustained periods of pressure during games. Our expected goals stats back this up. 

Gary Neville said something in commentary during the Man United game which was also very applicable to us. It was along the lines of 'you can tell whether a team is lacking character by their record for defending set-pieces and their running stats'. Like United, we don't seem to want to do the ugly side of the game. On Saturday we lost to a good footballing side. Arsenal will do what they did to us to many teams this year. What bothers me more is when we are bullied in games, which we saw on many occasions last season, notably West Ham away, Forest away, Villa away, Roma away etc. I do wish we would go back to basics i.e. being organised and disciplined off the ball, running and getting the ball to our forward players quickly with purpose. I can tolerate Leicester teams lacking a bit of quality but I find us being a soft touch very difficult to stomach. 

Edited by BenTheFox
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Looks like you are a massive fair weather fan. Only interested in the big games. All makes sense now.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BenTheFox said:

I don't think any of us see our eighth place finish last season as being a bad league campaign. However, we simply do not pass the eye test. Most of our goals come from bits of individual quality or defensive errors. When was the last time we really opened the opposition up with good attacking play? Usually when we score it comes out of nowhere. We are no longer having sustained periods of pressure during games. Our expected goals stats back this up. 

Gary Neville said something in commentary during the Man United game which was also very applicable to us. It was along the lines of 'you can tell whether a team is lacking character by their record for defending set-pieces and their running stats'. Like United, we don't seem to want to do the ugly side of the game. On Saturday we lost to a good footballing side. Arsenal will do what they did to us to many teams this year. What bothers me more is when we are bullied in games, which we saw on many occasions last season, notably West Ham away, Forest away, Villa away, Roma away etc. I do wish we would go back to basics i.e. being organised and disciplined off the ball, running and getting the ball to our forward players quickly with purpose. I can tolerate Leicester but I find us being a soft touch very difficult to stomach. 

Have you got the running stats to back any of this up? 

10 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Is he? I'm not saying he hasn't, but I haven't heard of him doing that. 

That's the thing, though - it would be that narrative and that's why I don't think that he is close to the sack (yet), because it's hard to argue that someone should be sacked with the circumstances of last season and this summer. He has had to deal with a lot and performed pretty well, overall, even if it's not as good as before. 

I don't understand the "only out for himself" line. Do you not realise that if LCFC is successful, that means BR is successful too? It makes sense for him to have the best interests of LCFC at his heart as that is what he is paid to do. 

I don't think it's that baffling when you look at the club's overall performance in his time here, and I think most neutrals would agree. It's only really the LCFC fans with heightened expectations and a bit of a distortion of the reality of where we are at as a club that seem to think he should be sacked or is doing a poor job. 

By all means, he has got it wrong in the first two games of this season. Doesn't warrant getting a plane to fly over the stadium, though.

How many occasions did he get it wrong last season too?

If you can’t see that his post match comments from Saturday and the weekend before were stabs at our owner then any other conversation with you about him isn’t worth the time. (Equally you could flip that back at me too) 

The only reason neutral fans would be pretty shocked at it is because of their lack of awareness. Only last Monday were some of the lads at a merchants taking the mick out of my ‘Rodgers out’ mantra and asked if I still thought the same so soon into the new season. When I told them about the fatigue comment and one substitute they couldn’t believe it and admitted it’s utter bullsh*t.

My point is that fans of other clubs only know what’s going on behind the scenes by reading what’s put in the the media. If they were to actually see what Rodgers said about us and looked a little further into it, there would be many more who are sympathetic to our ‘plight’ under Rodgers.

How many of us came in for stick for sacking Ranieri? How many of us replied with the fact that we looked like we were going down under him and that it was in fact the correct thing to do as heartbreaking as it was? 

The awareness of what’s going on behind the scenes at LCFC is zero if you’re only reading the BBC. They won’t go to the trouble of listing our weekends starting 11s PL appearances when Rodgers claims they’re inexperienced 

47 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Unbelievable.

I agree with you but I can't on the other hand blame our fans being concerned. There are a series of events, interviews, rumours, transfer speculations which rightfully frustrate the fan base.