Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

39 minutes ago, Dames said:

I can see the logic around people talking about 17th as there's something clearly wrong at the club. The manager is in the press every opportunity having digs, the players are making the same basic mistakes over and over and there doesn't seem to be any solution presenting itself for any of the issues. There are no proactive or even reactive steps being taken at the minute. 

The squad is good enough to challenge this season, it does need some competition desperately in the wide areas but other than that there is enough quality to at least finish top half. If the manager is unhappy and doesn't feel like he can get the best out of the squad because he needs a rebuild then he should resign his fat pay packet and let someone else who would want to do the job come in and do it. 

10 million pounds a year and all we are getting at the minute is snide remarks and stupid excuses.

The reason I don't think we will finish there is I trust the board to pull the trigger if needed, as they did with CR, CS, CP. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I don't think any of us see our eighth place finish last season as being a bad league campaign. However, we simply do not pass the eye test. Most of our goals come from bits of individual quality or defensive errors. When was the last time we really opened the opposition up with good attacking play? Usually when we score it comes out of nowhere. We are no longer having sustained periods of pressure during games. Our expected goals stats back this up. 

Gary Neville said something in commentary during the Man United game which was also very applicable to us. It was along the lines of 'you can tell whether a team is lacking character by their record for defending set-pieces and their running stats'. Like United, we don't seem to want to do the ugly side of the game. On Saturday we lost to a good footballing side. Arsenal will do what they did to us to many teams this year. What bothers me more is when we are bullied in games, which we saw on many occasions last season, notably West Ham away, Forest away, Villa away, Roma away etc. I do wish we would go back to basics i.e. being organised and disciplined off the ball, running and getting the ball to our forward players quickly with purpose. I can tolerate Leicester teams lacking a bit of quality but I find us being a soft touch very difficult to stomach. 

This talking in Football terms,I can go along with...and I do agree with you...

Myself & many others have mentioned, we need to harden-up, and fk a RW,I want an hard bastard or two....Not just doing the hard round themselves but telling their teammates not to slacken....Maddison has the bite,But too lightweight, KDH can put it around,but we cant Force it as a team.Evans again too moderate..

Gibson,needed his Bobby Roberts, but there were at least 6 other players,biting  & grinding their teeth...I

Its whats Tielemans needs a Body guard, I wonder if Praet could Take on that Mantel....

Edited by fuchsntf

8 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I just said, I haven't heard of him doing that (as in I don't know what he said) - I don't really care for interviews, unless something really controversial is said. 

Ranieri had us going down to the Championship - we aren't at that stage yet. If we were in 17th with Rodgers in February and hadn't scored a goal for a couple of months then fair enough, he can go, but that's not the case and hasn't ever been in his time here. 

What "plight"? It's more of a slight drop-off/a club of our resources going from overachieving, back to par.  

Other fans do see the overall picture though, rather than picking at specific small events. The results are hard to answer against, even if there are certain issues and things that aren't perfect (but that does also extend past Rodgers to other areas, too). 

Well last week he claimed the players were fatigued after 65 mins. That’s despite him only using 1 sub. 

Then he claimed that he only had to change formation because we didn’t have Lookman. 

This week he blamed ‘lack of experience at PL level. This was our starting 11 

Clubs naturally come and go and I accept that. What I don’t accept is that our time to ‘go’ is now. It can easily be rectified by a change of management- I think most people now agree someone else will get a better tune out of the same players. 

8B4EC2B5-0ED8-4C5A-9DD1-50A32F70A0C1.jpeg

35 minutes ago, seenitall said:

Premier League 5th, 5th and 8th and it's all over - how did we cope with the David Pleat years without killing oursleves?

Not sure of the relevance of David Pleat - but there is the basis for real concern

Firstly we have a relegation defence. Injuries were blamed last season - we now have the players that we missed  so much and we’ve conceded six in two. It seems our defence is not going to be improved by new personnel so we’re back to Brendan and his team providing a structure that makes us more secure with existing players, (he’s already said we lack the profile of player to defend set pieces). I have to say.having watched the defence deteriorate in the last couple of seasons, I have no confidence this will happen.

Secondly we have a manager who  has effectively given up. His public statements about lack of new arrivals and the consequential need to reduce expectations are not calculated to inspire the players he has. He is effectively saying they are not good enough to continue the development of the club. 

So an unmotivated manager with a demotivated squad and a defence which a Sunday League side could score goals against. A perfect recipe for relegation. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

The reason I don't think we will finish there is I trust the board to pull the trigger if needed, as they did with CR, CS, CP. 

Maybe but the payoff is an eye watering sum and it has to get to a point where Rodgers would desperately want to leave to negotiate a lower settlement. At that point it may be too late.

I get the feeling they've wanted rid for the best part of this year but aren't willing to risk the 30m payout. 

49 minutes ago, seenitall said:

Premier League 5th, 5th and 8th and it's all over - how did we cope with the David Pleat years without killing oursleves?

Well we didn't have a squad full of international players.  Decent ish ground, world class training facilities. 

A manager and a wage bill only lower than the big boys . So our expectations were lower. 

Oh, one final thing  PLEAT OUT !!!

10 minutes ago, shiv said:

I keep seeing this being used as an argument, and I’m sorry, but it’s total nonsense.

You don’t average 60+ goals a season for 3 years by sheer luck lol 

I clearly wasn't referring to the past three years nor did I say that it was luck. However, last season there were not many occasions where we had the opposition on the back foot. We were regularly being bailed out by bits of individual quality and inexplicable errors by opposition defenders. 

1 minute ago, BenTheFox said:

I clearly wasn't referring to the past three years nor did I say that it was luck. However, last season there were not many occasions where we had the opposition on the back foot. We were regularly being bailed out by bits of individual quality and inexplicable errors by opposition defenders. 

That’s a very one sided argument. As there have also been lots of times when our defensive errors have given away goals so it works both ways. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, shiv said:

I keep seeing this being used as an argument, and I’m sorry, but it’s total nonsense.

You don’t average 60+ goals a season for 3 years by sheer luck lol 

You're right you don't. But it's hard to see tactical masterclass in the goals from the weekend. There's plenty of times we have been great under Rodgers but at the moment the quality of the players is finding the goals for us rather than anything Rodgers is doing. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Well last week he claimed the players were fatigued after 65 mins. That’s despite him only using 1 sub. 

Then he claimed that he only had to change formation because we didn’t have Lookman. 

This week he blamed ‘lack of experience at PL level. This was our starting 11 

Clubs naturally come and go and I accept that. What I don’t accept is that our time to ‘go’ is now. It can easily be rectified by a change of management- I think most people now agree someone else will get a better tune out of the same players. 

8B4EC2B5-0ED8-4C5A-9DD1-50A32F70A0C1.jpeg

#bellend

• Like 1

Just now, Dusty said:

That’s a very one sided argument. As there have also been lots of times when our defensive errors have given away goals so it works both ways. 

Of course it works both ways, but my point is that our team play in an attacking sense has not been good for a while. I will use Man City as the extreme example: often their goals do not come from individual brilliance, of course their players have the ability to score great individual goals, but often they open the opposition up with good team play and the eventual scorer ends up with a relatively simple finish. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

We were the 5th highest scorers in the division last season, so I don’t think it actually is a valid point at all.

Would love to know what your definition of inexplicable is, because I don’t recall any opposition players just booting the ball in their own net.

• Like 2

Just now, shiv said:

We were the 5th highest scorers in the division last season, so I don’t think it actually is a valid point at all.

Would love to know what your definition of inexplicable is, because I don’t recall any opposition players just booting the ball in their own net.

lol 

Lyanco terrible header back, Holgate terrible header back, Masina terrible header back 

Just now, Stadt said:

lol 

Lyanco terrible header back, Holgate terrible header back, Masina terrible header back 

So none of those goals were a result of pressure from our team then? They just headed the ball into their own nets on their own accord? 

7 minutes ago, shiv said:

Do you remember Watford home and away last season? For Maddison's goal in the home game their defender literally ducked the header allowing for Maddison to slot it in. I'd never seen anything like it at this level before. That's just one example. There are plenty of others. 

Edited by BenTheFox

16 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

You're right you don't. But it's hard to see tactical masterclass in the goals from the weekend. There's plenty of times we have been great under Rodgers but at the moment the quality of the players is finding the goals for us rather than anything Rodgers is doing. 

The old classic score/win it’s the players concede/lose its Rodgers(manager)

• Like 1