Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

3 hours ago, kingfox said:

What I don’t get is why he is so adamant to play three at the back whenever Barnes is out, when our squad is literally perfect to set up in a 4-3-1-2 formation.

I believe that’s the formation we started against Liverpool last season, of course it was backs to the wall stuff for huge parts of the game, but overall it was one of our best performances and wins of the season. 

Against Brentford & Arsenal there’s no real logic in starting Amartey, when he could so easily have gone with a 4-3-1-2 with that extra attacker in Iheanacho or Daka. 

Everything is an instant negative mindset with Rodgers nowadays, his negative ways cost us numerous times last season, they’ve already cost us twice this season.

...true, as soon as Barnes is out, it is like a bird with both wings clipped!!!

Suddenly we are on the back foot and making decisions where we are playing with options that we do not use or bring in personnel to play roles that they are not suitable for. At the present moment, Amartey is getting it full blast, people do not want him on the team, but last season he stepped up and was a solid player helping to prop up our defense.

Hanging players out to dry again, seems a way of deflecting shortfalls.

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

“I obviously want the club to be up there fighting and challenging for European football, top where we’ve been for a few years, but that’s going to take investment, and if we can’t do that than I also have to be realistic as well.”

I would say this is a jibe wouldn’t you?

In all honesty, no I wouldn't. Further, if that's the best example you can find then I think we can put this one to bed and say there is no problem with Top.

What was said was simply his assessment of what is required to challenge for European football, and it's hardly controversial. Top would agree too. And what did Rodgers say after that bit? That he has to be realistic. He's taking the situation on board totally. It doesn't mean he's happy with it but I read no criticism. On the contrary, he understands.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

The easy option is to put him on gardening leave, it's pretty common.

Either way they have to spend the full 30 million and if current club logic is being applied they don't want to be paying for anyone that isn't contributing. 

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

I wouldn't say that's a jibe, more an analysis. It's the truth of where we're at. We've been told loads of times that there is money to spend but we can't have 30+ senior players on the books - it's simply bad business. 

Of course we need investment to challenge the top 6, is that not true? 

Its also a jibe because he's publicly questioning the board. His comments have been very sly and underhanded rather than being an analysis of where we are at. 

Don't get me wrong we need to invest to challenge and I think its poor of the board to put Rodgers in this situation but he's also not helping himself, he frequently describes himself as a coach, he's got a good squad of players and he gets 10 million pounds richer each year, just get to coaching.

Just now, Dames said:

Either way they have to spend the full 30 million and if current club logic is being applied they don't want to be paying for anyone that isn't contributing. 

Its also a jibe because he's publicly questioning the board. His comments have been very sly and underhanded rather than being an analysis of where we are at. 

Don't get me wrong we need to invest to challenge and I think its poor of the board to put Rodgers in this situation but he's also not helping himself, he frequently describes himself as a coach, he's got a good squad of players and he gets 10 million pounds richer each year, just get to coaching.

So he says we need to invest and its a dig at Top. 

But you've just said we need to invest to challenge as well so are you doing the same? 

I don't see where the jibe is. Every single club needs to invest. He's just stating what we need to do. Not everything has to point to a negative or abject view and not everything then needs to go one step further that there is apparently some rift between Top and Rodgers. It just becomes unwarranted, unfounded speculation that no one needs right now. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Firstly, for full context - do you have the whole quote?

Secondly, what has been said here that is not factually accurate?

You are correct.  What he said is accurate, too compete at the higher level it would need investment,  but you and a few others are hiding behind that logical fact as the base of your argument as it can't be disproved.

What others are saying is that Rodgers isn't quoting this or something similar to be factual, but to hilight the point  over and over and over again from pre-season until yesterday of something he hasn't received.  If he mentioned it once or twice back in early pre-season fine  but he doesn't stop and mentions it more often that not in any interview he gives.  So I suppose this can be viewed as having a dig at the owners. 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

So he says we need to invest and its a dig at Top. 

But you've just said we need to invest to challenge as well so are you doing the same? 

I don't see where the jibe is. Every single club needs to invest. He's just stating what we need to do. Not everything has to point to a negative or abject view and not everything then needs to go one step further that there is apparently some rift between Top and Rodgers. It just becomes unwarranted, unfounded speculation that no one needs right now. 

I'm not paid by the club so yeah I am having a dig at the club, i've never said i'm not? I find the logic they are employing quite backwards to be honest, it does nothing but write the season off and hamper the squads development and progress.

Rodgers is employed by the club, whether he likes it or not the club have made a decision and he should not be out in public questioning it every chance he gets. He's not wrong in what he's saying, some of it does come across as sly especially comments about the profile of players we have and experience etc but at the same time as an employee of the club he should not be out in the media making digs at the decisions the club has decided to make (Or contradicting them). 

Just now, Dames said:

I'm not paid by the club so yeah I am having a dig at the club, i've never said i'm not? I find the logic they are employing quite backwards to be honest, it does nothing but write the season off and hamper the squads development and progress.

Rodgers is employed by the club, whether he likes it or not the club have made a decision and he should not be out in public questioning it every chance he gets. He's not wrong in what he's saying, some of it does come across as sly especially comments about the profile of players we have and experience etc but at the same time as an employee of the club he should not be out in the media making digs at the decisions the club has decided to make (Or contradicting them). 

But we're talking about there apparently being a jibe towards the owner simply because he said there needs to be investment into the squad. 

It's a factual statement. That's all there is to it. The other quotes about experience are different. 

18 minutes ago, taupe said:

In all honesty, no I wouldn't. Further, if that's the best example you can find then I think we can put this one to bed and say there is no problem with Top.

What was said was simply his assessment of what is required to challenge for European football, and it's hardly controversial. Top would agree too. And what did Rodgers say after that bit? That he has to be realistic. He's taking the situation on board totally. It doesn't mean he's happy with it but I read no criticism. On the contrary, he understands.

....it could also mean he understands that he will not be able to move the club forward due to these constraints, and he may have to look elsewhere to further his ambitions!!!

Those last words quoted are ambiguous and could be open to interpretation

I obviously want the club to be up there fighting and challenging for European football, top where we’ve been for a few years, but that’s going to take investment, and if we can’t do that than I also have to be realistic as well.

Edited by sacreblueits442
Update
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

It is kinda of a jibe Rodgers has been heavily backed and the majority of his signings have been below par I would say. The owners have obviously reigned in and not given any money for signings and quite rightly so. Rodgers is obviously not on the same page. But truth be told he’s need to shut up and actually get some results imo!

He us obligated to speak to the media, across the board....Only difference in time,Posters have started to cherry-pick,and turn,twist,Misuse statements...

in all my years, covering many countries,I dont believe I have heard Any manager speak, in a context that fans Really understand relevant to clubs 

problems or even achievements...Itsa all sport-speak,and when they try to express themselves....Outside People will put more turns & twists in their statements

than a Delphin makes, Chasing the fish in a boats wake...

6 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

He us obligated to speak to the media, across the board....Only difference in time,Posters have started to cherry-pick,and turn,twist,Misuse statements...

in all my years, covering many countries,I dont believe I have heard Any manager speak, in a context that fans Really understand relevant to clubs 

problems or even achievements...Itsa all sport-speak,and when they try to express themselves....Outside People will put more turns & twists in their statements

than a Delphin makes, Chasing the fish in a boats wake...

...is that you Eric...!!!

• Haha 1

Come on. Brendan is very careful with what he says and about whom. I mean, for a manager he loves talking about the opposition. The amount of praise he dishes out on our opponents makes me wish opposition managers were as complimentary about us. What was it on Saturday ? Arsenal have some great players, another level and Arteta having the tools to play how he wants. Not as bad as last season where even Ramsdale was slightly embarrassed. 

28 minutes ago, StanSP said:

But we're talking about there apparently being a jibe towards the owner simply because he said there needs to be investment into the squad. 

It's a factual statement. That's all there is to it. The other quotes about experience are different. 

I think you’re confusing what i’ve said with what someone else has said. He’s not taking direct jibes at the owner. However he is openly making statements that contradict the clubs official position which he shouldnt be. Yes there needs to be investment but if the board are saying there won’t be any what good does it do to question it all the time? 

The other quotes aren’t different they are all in regards to recruitment he’s just taking different angles and trying to apply pressure in different ways.

I don’t think he’s that wrong with a lot of what he’s saying. Its annoying that he seems to deflect a lot of his own responsibilities but at the same time as an employee of the club he shouldn’t be questioning the decisions in public. By all means do it behind closed doors but he just makes the club look like a circus if he does it in public.

18/19  0.9

19/20  1.078

20/21  1.315

21/22  1.553

Just looking at the goals per game conceded each season in League under BR, and it's clear to see there has been a steady decline in the defensive performance year on year. 

Can he reverse this trend?

Edited by Vestan Pance

2 minutes ago, Dames said:

I think you’re confusing what i’ve said with what someone else has said. He’s not taking direct jibes at the owner. However he is openly making statements that contradict the clubs official position which he shouldnt be. Yes there needs to be investment but if the board are saying there won’t be any what good does it do to question it all the time? 

The other quotes aren’t different they are all in regards to recruitment he’s just taking different angles and trying to apply pressure in different ways.

I don’t think he’s that wrong with a lot of what he’s saying. Its annoying that he seems to deflect a lot of his own responsibilities but at the same time as an employee of the club he shouldn’t be questioning the decisions in public. By all means do it behind closed doors but he just makes the club look like a circus if he does it in public.

Brendan Rodgers Is Excellent At Finding Points Of Friction With His Employers. | The Celtic Blog

@Muzzy_Larsson seems to be exactly what is happening here..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i’ve always been a critic of soyuncus but in a 3 with two quality cbs i think he’d thrive…. or at least offer us some passing ability. 

Brendan is too stubborn and can’t get over a few mistakes. I’m fairly certain every other manager in the league would be playing soyuncu if they were using our system 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

i’ve always been a critic of soyuncus but in a 3 with two quality cbs i think he’d thrive…. or at least offer us some passing ability. 

Brendan is too stubborn and can’t get over a few mistakes. I’m fairly certain every other manager in the league would be playing soyuncu if they were using our system 

I agree to an extent. I think Rodgers knows soyuncu is better than Amartey. Soys game time has been cut dramatically as soon as Fofana came back, and since then Amartey has been the preferred third choice. I think this is partly down to us trying to sell him as he’s only a year left on his contract. We might be hoping that if we freeze him out it will convince him to leave in a hope he’ll still start for Turkey at the World Cup. I’m expecting soy to be 3rd choice again if he’s still here once the window is shut. This is obviously pure speculation and I could be wrong, but I genuinely can’t believe anyone would prefer  Amartey to soy due to footballing reasons. 

2 minutes ago, Dusty said:

I agree to an extent. I think Rodgers knows soyuncu is better than Amartey. Soys game time has been cut dramatically as soon as Fofana came back, and since then Amartey has been the preferred third choice. I think this is partly down to us trying to sell him as he’s only a year left on his contract. We might be hoping that if we freeze him out it will convince him to leave in a hope he’ll still start for Turkey at the World Cup. I’m expecting soy to be 3rd choice again if he’s still here once the window is shut. This is obviously pure speculation and I could be wrong, but I genuinely can’t believe anyone would prefer  Amartey to soy due to footballing reasons. 

the only other possible reason could simply be his height. Which is ironic as it was his fault we conceded from the corner. 

I just think he might have fallen out with him post-spurs. Which he needs to get over. I don’t want us to play 5 at the back but if we are going to, at least  use the best players we have for it. 

14 minutes ago, Ross 'LCFC' Turner said:

I really am sick and tired of the drivel that comes out of his mouth after every game.

For the whole of last season he was harping on about not having much coaching time but on Saturday, I have absolutely no idea what the tactics were, what the game plan was or even what we would have been working on in training all week, everybody looked totally lost.

This crazy 5 at the back, diamond formation he seems to have created offers us absolutely nothing going forwards. Its asking way too much of our wing back’s to try and create / be an outlet going forward - without at least 2 upfront or an inverted winger to play off, their only pass is backwards!

He said our team lacks experience but apart from KDH, every single player on that pitch has represented their country or at the very least at under 21 level.

What I don’t understand is how we can play a 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 all preseason with high inverted wing backs & a high press but then completely change our shape / strategy a week before the season starts.  – Castagne for Ricardo is a straight swap, Albrighton / Praet / Perez for Barnes whilst not ideal, would have done a job for a couple of weeks that allowed us to keep the same shape and continue with the identity and strategy we had been working on for the whole of preseason!

Bang on. The defence looks like they don't actually know what they're doing which is ridiculous. It immediately improved when 4 of the 5 played together in the latter part of last season, but Ward had no clue how to communicate with them which might be part of the issue. Is the midfield causing the defence problems too?

This formation just seems so unnecessary after a pre-season where we seemed to have a plan and then changed it due to a couple of injuries. Ridiculous, completely rips apart his theory thst our issues last season could only be corrected in pre-season and without playing as much.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ross 'LCFC' Turner said:

I really am sick and tired of the drivel that comes out of his mouth after every game.

Alas it seems to be trait of all managers when they are under pressure, you have to go out in front of the media and explain the ifs, buts and why etc.  I think the problem is he seems to protect himself more than his players, some fans would appreciate it if he took some of the blame and was a bit more humble, although he talks of humilty, he lacks it himself. 

Edited by Le Renard
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ross 'LCFC' Turner said:

For the whole of last season he was harping on about not having much coaching time but on Saturday, I have absolutely no idea what the tactics were, what the game plan was or even what we would have been working on in training all week, everybody looked totally lost.

This crazy 5 at the back, diamond formation he seems to have created offers us absolutely nothing going forwards. Its asking way too much of our wing back’s to try and create / be an outlet going forward - without at least 2 upfront or an inverted winger to play off, their only pass is backwards!

He said our team lacks experience but apart from KDH, every single player on that pitch has represented their country or at the very least at under 21 level.

What I don’t understand is how we can play a 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 all preseason with high inverted wing backs & a high press but then completely change our shape / strategy a week before the season starts.  – Castagne for Ricardo is a straight swap, Albrighton / Praet / Perez for Barnes whilst not ideal, would have done a job for a couple of weeks that allowed us to keep the same shape and continue with the identity and strategy we had been working on for the whole of preseason!

19 minutes ago, Ross 'LCFC' Turner said:

Good post and very true 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigMicky said:

What would you have preferred he had said?  This is mind numbing. He hasn't criticised anyone. Merely stated a fact. 

Yes he has, but he’s also said in another breath he won’t go to war with the club… yet it comes up at every opportunity after games… Do we really need Brendan to tell us we haven’t bought anyone?! We know!!!