Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, Kopfkino said:

You might think that. Yet, by my calculation average possession in Ranieri’s 25 games and Shakespeare’s 13 games is basically the same. 41.84% for Ranieri’s and 41.96% for Shakespeare. Both being a lower figure than our average The stats are there for anyone to go and look at.

Yes I do cos that’s exactly my point. People don’t really care about the style of play, they care whether it’s successful or not. People didn’t enjoy the football in 16/17 (well they might pretend they did now but the forum at the time will say otherwise) because we were 18th. The data tells you your theory is bollocks, we had marginally less possession on average in 16/17 and Ranieri’s possession stats were essentially the same as Shakespeare’s.

I said absolutely nothing about the merits of either style of football and where it will mean you finish because I’m not obsessed beyond belief about the style football. The point is only that the style of the football is really secondary to the results of its execution when determining fan enjoyment.

We attempted to play with more possession - that doesn’t mean we actually ended up with more possession. What actually happened was we had more of the ball in our own half but couldn’t hang onto it when we went forward because we were so deep when the ball was played forward. So that explains your stats.

We certainly did attempt to play more slowly and more possession based and that was quite clearly our downfall. We’ve largely played a very similar way since, with only fleeting periods of attacking, high tempo football which were synonymous with good results.

People will put up with boring football if you get exceptional results yes. But not just for upper midtable. And the idea that people don’t care is nonsense. Look at the comments you are arguing with, people remember. They remember when they are excited and they remember when they were bored to death.

Ask yourself why Mourinho is universally disliked even by clubs he brought great success to. Ask yourself why Puel is more disliked at Southampton or Leicester than managers who were statistically worse.

Football fans, deep down, recognise when a manager is not a football person, it bothers them. Eventually it drives them away (me for example). Because when all is said and done, they pay a lot of money to be entertained, of course they are going to notice if it’s regularly dull.

Edited by Kitchandro
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

But if you can show me more than a smattering of people moaning about the style of football when we won 8 in a row or when we were top in January 2021 then I’ll change my mind. Tbh you personally might well have because I know you’ve been banging on about it for a while and I think it’s deeply entrenched within you. But for most people whinging about style is all about relative performance.

This is true enough but, to be fair, that period when we won 8 successive games was when we were plaing our most scintillating stuff.  It is the style that has regressed terribly since, fans are finding much of it excruciating and boring to watch now, and quite reasonably  wondering why the wheels fell off and why we can't recapture that verve.

Because baselines shift. People are good at relative rather than absolute observations (hence why 30mph feels slower when you’ve been going 80mph down the motorway than when you accelerate up to it from 0).
They got used to us starting seasons as one of the best sides in the league, when you’re top 2/3 at the halfway stage of both seasons spending the next season mid table all year muddling your way through feels a bit meh, it’s just obviously less exciting whatever the style of play. When you’re not doing as well as you were or as well as you expect then people look for things to whinge about and that includes the ‘style’ of football. But also people are still capable of pointing out that bigger picture, 8th is a damn fine season for this football club whilst being mehed out because it has followed a better time.

There’s no way to prove it but if we’d just been promoted and played the exact same league season last year, nobody would really complain about the style of football. Maybe some murmurs after defeats but not the obsession that it’s become here now.

But if you can show me more than a smattering of people moaning about the style of football when we won 8 in a row or when we were top in January 2021 then I’ll change my mind. Tbh you personally might well have because I know you’ve been banging on about it for a while and I think it’s deeply entrenched within you. But for most people whinging about style is all about relative performance.

It's going to be a case of agreeing to disagree.

I respect your opinion and it's nice to have a debate about it, rather than having some toxic, patronising and ridiculing comments.

However, i'll use one last example, we finished 12th in 16/17, Puel came in during 17/18, took us up to 9th (There was a push and outside chance of a European spot if I remember correctly too), QF's of both League Cup and FA Cup, exciting on the face of things and 9th being a damn fine season for this football club on the metic 8th is (and given it was our joint 3rd highest ever finish)....was it exciting? Anything but, I then everyone was bored to tears, fed up, it was awful for the same reasons as I personally (And many others) am experiencing now.

So the actual verifiable evidence shows we had slightly lower average possession, slightly lower pass completion, and more long passes per game but you think you watched us play out from the back.

Selective memory is a powerful drug 

Again we'll have to agree to disagree but I think it's certainly fair to say it was the start of the 'transition' and surely you can't deny Ranieri tried to change too much, too soon, I mean by his own admission he said he didn't need to change anything in 15/16, the following season, understandably (perhaps) he wanted to try and put his own stamp on things changing things.

Edited by Matt

So the actual verifiable evidence shows we had slightly lower average possession, slightly lower pass completion, and more long passes per game but you think you watched us play out from the back.

Selective memory is a powerful drug 

I don't care what the 'verifiable evidence' shows, I know what I saw. 

• Haha 2