Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

Sorry pal it will happen soon, as soon as Fofana goes I reckon Brendan Rodgers will walk.

I doubt it. There's perhaps only one thing bigger than his ego and that's his large wallet.  🤣 

He ain't gonna go short on a matter of principle. If he did, it would be the first time he's impressed me, I may have to shed a tear 😢  ... or perhaps not. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

So the actual verifiable evidence shows we had slightly lower average possession, slightly lower pass completion, and more long passes per game but you think you watched us play out from the back.

Selective memory is a powerful drug 

I remember us hopelessly becoming one reliant on a wonder pass. That start to the season was utterly soul destroying watching us get flogged at Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge putting 11 behind the ball

• Like 1

Guest Kopfkino
2 hours ago, Matt said:

It's going to be a case of agreeing to disagree.

I respect your opinion and it's nice to have a debate about it, rather than having some toxic, patronising and ridiculing comments.

However, i'll use one last example, we finished 12th in 16/17, Puel came in during 17/18, took us up to 9th (There was a push and outside chance of a European spot if I remember correctly too), QF's of both League Cup and FA Cup, exciting on the face of things and 9th being a damn fine season for this football club on the metic 8th is (and given it was our joint 3rd highest ever finish)....was it exciting? Anything but, I then everyone was bored to tears, fed up, it was awful for the same reasons as I personally (And many others) am experiencing now.

Again we'll have to agree to disagree but I think it's certainly fair to say it was the start of the 'transition' and surely you can't deny Ranieri tried to change too much, too soon, I mean by his own admission he said he didn't need to change anything in 15/16, the following season, understandably (perhaps) he wanted to try and put his own stamp on things changing things.

But you’re speaking about attitudes towards Puel at the end and talking about his record that was largely at the start.

So how many people in the first 2/3rds of this thread are calling Puel’s football boring. Sure plenty refer to him as personally boring but not really the football. Plenty of people also stating the need to break from the football of the previous two seasons too.

Won 7 of his first 14 games, had us up to 7th and in the FA Cup Quarter final as you said on the back of us being 18th and winning 1 in 8 before Shakespeare was sacked. This thread starts to turn when results start going downhill and then another pops up in April where people really turn on him and the football, funnily enough the point when we only win 1 in 7.

Shout out to @Kitchandro who I won’t reply to separately because I take your points on board and they’re fair enough. But even after the 4-1 away at Southampton when everyone else was getting giddy was dead against the style of play.

There are outliers on everything, my assertion is that for most the criticism of the style is about the results of its execution more than the style. As you say though, agree to disagree

There's a lot of talk on here about who we would have/where we will be post-Rodgers. I think it's also worth asking where he could possibly end up after us. Unless something drastic happens, he won't be picked up by any of the elite clubs in England. That means he will either end up at an aspirational mid-table club like Villa or Newcastle or going abroad. Something I wouldn't completely rule out is England bombing at this year's world Cup, Southgate getting the boot and the FA being interested in Rodgers.

12 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

People will put up with boring football if you get exceptional results yes. But not just for upper midtable. And the idea that people don’t care is nonsense. Look at the comments you are arguing with, people remember. They remember when they are excited and they remember when they were bored to death.

But isn't it so that exceptional results rarely stem from boring play? I'd sooner watch Liverpool than Man City, but whenever Man City do click, then it's wonderful to see.

13 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

So the actual verifiable evidence shows we had slightly lower average possession, slightly lower pass completion, and more long passes per game but you think you watched us play out from the back.

Selective memory is a powerful drug 

...all those stats are not due to us playing in another way, just us being unable to execute the process well!!!

Playing out from the back requires players to be comfortable on the ball with composure and being brave under pressure.  We cannot play that way, because we come under pressure and the pass goes astray or the keeper boots the ball out of touch, trying to find the wingback on the touchline. In order to progress the play, we then have to play long  diagonal passes to try and get our forwards in at goal, as we are unable to progress the play in any other way.

We are so poor at executing or aims on the pitch that your stated stats becomes the norm.

• Like 1

Those moaning about the style of play under Rodgers do realise that we have to mix it up / player on the counter against at least 6-7 teams in this league so it's the style of play against teams around us or worse than us that's the issue. Teams that implement the low block then expose the team who attempt to take control of the majority of possession and under Rodgers for the first 1.5 seasons we were exceptional against such teams, the low block didn't work.

One of the reasons for this was the athleticism and end product of Ricardo overlapping and certainly the athleticism of Ben Chilwell, the movement of Vardy too. I don't think this is a style of play from the manager that's the problem, more the nuances that seem to nullify us going forward vs stubborn teams and yet still leaving ourselves wide open in the process on the counter.

We play on the counter vs the big 6 but they protect themselves better, we right now are so poor collectively in midfield and defence when it comes to shutting down counter attacks and with no wingers and a horrid unsuited formation we are very tepid going forward too, relying on individual pieces of brilliance to get us goals and in the long run there's to much pressure on that.

• Like 3

On the radio today explaining how he had identified targets.. chatted them up... then  got back from his hols to be told the cupboard was bare.

Translation: if it all goes tits up then don't blame me

Then he says fofana is not for sale... when he knows that fofana will be sold if Chelsea pony up.

Translations: my top player was sold over my head.

The club should release evidence of his acquiescence 

Just now, foxinsocks said:

I think that.

Dont let him spend any money.

While this might be correct, that doesn't mean you shouldn't be signing ANY players. Zero first team players in, is not good, especially when you clearly need them. He is justified in being unhappy if you don't recruit ANY starters on the first team before the window shuts. 

On 17/08/2022 at 10:50, The Year Of The Fox said:

To be fair the Rodgers signings listed in this article were arguably superior to those listed as Committee signings, unless my comprehension of the article is wrong. Apart from coutinho, firmino and Moreno the committee signings were quite poor.

Edited by honeybradger

Rodgers is being done dirty by Rudkin and the board, this will get very ugly this season. I'm not convinced we are in a great place but I can u derstand why the club may have lost faith in him but some of the decision making this club has done in the last few years worries me every bit as much as what we did the year or so after winning the league. We have the ability to suffer a real crisis of confidence in our leadership off the field. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Guest454545 said:

While this might be correct, that doesn't mean you shouldn't be signing ANY players. Zero first team players in, is not good, especially when you clearly need them. He is justified in being unhappy if you don't recruit ANY starters on the first team before the window shuts. 

It’s under his stewardship that we’ve signed the shite from last summer that he has no faith in.

The rest of them got us 5th and won The FA Cup as we’re constantly reminded 

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Rodgers is being done dirty by Rudkin and the board, this will get very ugly this season. I'm not convinced we are in a great place but I can u derstand why the club may have lost faith in him but some of the decision making this club has done in the last few years worries me every bit as much as what we did the year or so after winning the league. We have the ability to suffer a real crisis of confidence in our leadership off the field. 

There's certainly some errors being made above Rodgers that are very concerning and shouldn't really be made by a club that is trying to be one of the top 8 in one of the top leagues in the world.

• Like 1

Just now, Ric Flair said:

See the link to that This Is Anfield wrote up Ric. 

It’s perfectly feasible based on his comments whilst at Liverpool that he was able to get his foot further in the door here (rightly I’d have said at the time) when Arsenal were supposedly knocking on his door and we extended his contract. 

Im sure people will think that’s just my usual Rodgers bashing, but looking at it constructively the times and patterns of most of our signings (and new contract offers) do point to this theory being a realistic possibility 

• Like 2

I'm guessing his comments relate to the fact that in Feb we were obviously looking towards summer, then the rule changes came in around April and the prospective vision altered, therefore things changed financially for what we could spend in summer? 

I don't get what he's said that's drastically a) new or b) worth getting knickers in a twist about. 

No one can turn back time and not buy Vestergaard and Bertrand. That's a mistake he'll have to live with and the club, including Rodgers have to manage. 

• Like 1