Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Just now, leicesterseddon said:

So according to Brodgers, the club led him to believe he’d be able to sign players this summer, before then telling him when pre-season training began that he wouldn’t.

Does this sound likely? I’ve no idea. I would have hoped our transfer planning would be more organised than that.

Certainly I can’t think of anything that happened around mid-to-late June that would have affected the financial outlook for the club. The whole thing sounds bizarre. 

I imagine it’s more that the board thought “yeah that sounds fine, Youri and Cags are off, maybe we shift on Praet and Vestegaard too”

When that doesn’t happen, the taps turned off and no-one comes in - hence, chaos

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

I’d argue that since Brendan arrived here, only Tuchel on that list of managers who are paid less than Rodgers can claim to have had a better 3 years and that is debatable.

Tuchel has clearly been better - it's not debatable at all. He's won the actual Champions League ffs and makes 30% less. Arteta is more debatable but he has also won the cup whilst also undertaking a rebuild so I'm not sure why you'd argue Rodgers deserves a near 20% higher salary.

22 minutes ago, filbertway said:

You can't just fill your squad with overpaid average players incase of injuries though. Especially us. I mean we're literally seeing why that's the case now.

I can't speak for other people, but if the squad was sensibly balanced and we were in a position where we have a 17 year old and a 36 year old playing together because we're missing 4 CBs. Then I'd be understanding of that. Although I would be questioning how 4 CBs all got injured at the same time :D

Oh for sure, it’s turned into a total disaster and put us in a real tight spot now. The reasons for doing it were perhaps understandable at the time, but even then it is a bit of  worry covering yourself in case of the worst case scenario, and then with the expensive options.

All this Talk from moaning fans & supportive fans means nothing…

Was/is.  Any Leicester manager, In tenure Brendan Rodgers responsible

for transfers or not..Is he responsible in bringing in Players.

does he have a say…

Fans make up their scenarios and Soap-opera-football in blaming or denying

The Leicester city Managers Position of handling All Player movement…

Poster have Made up their own stories & carried it on over Rodgers whole

tenure…
# It means 99% is rubbish & noise  if he doesn’t handle Transfers..,,

and the board under Recruitment management are 100% for incoming/ outcoming

player Investment.There has been a lot of crap written over Rodgers/ any modern

LCFC manager….

# If he does have responsibility who comes in & has the last say,then criticism/praise in his direction is at least a base & open for all opinions

It is as simple as that…,,!!

So club owners,Head of recruitment,and past managers,& Rodgers now 

deny they they the manager have had any part of the Recruitment/investment

player movement…The nearer the descision,Managers have been asked their thoughts, as only part of that end descision..Which will be still taken by recruitment

management…

So my question is who and where is the lie…or misinformation…??

Because for me,either way you just can’t make up false stories,create media

& use media misinterpretation,plus create an opinion on any thought of fact,if

that fact itself is proved false..
And it’s been running over 6-10 years,to help demean & cynically criticise our

Managers….Or the State of our club…!!

Plus tenures at other clubs..!

1 hour ago, Hamilton Fox said:

People on here are moaning he doesn’t give the players any praise and your saying we’re not as good as he makes out..

which one is it? Are we crap and been overachieving with him at the helm or are we good and he’s dragging us down. Guy can’t win

I personally believe that right now as of this moment, we are better then what is being served up. He says we're good at pressing and chasing the ball down when out of possession but we are not like this at all.

2 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

All this Talk from moaning fans & supportive fans means nothing…

Was/is.  Any Leicester manager, In tenure Brendan Rodgers responsible

for transfers or not..Is he responsible in bringing in Players.

does he have a say…

Fans make up their scenarios and Soap-opera-football in blaming or denying

The Leicester city Managers Position of handling All Player movement…

Poster have Made up their own stories & carried it on over Rodgers whole

tenure…
# It means 99% is rubbish & noise  if he doesn’t handle Transfers..,,

and the board under Recruitment management are 100% for incoming/ outcoming

player Investment.There has been a lot of crap written over Rodgers/ any modern

LCFC manager….

# If he does have responsibility who comes in & has the last say,then criticism/praise in his direction is at least a base & open for all opinions

It is as simple as that…,,!!

So club owners,Head of recruitment,and past managers,& Rodgers now 

deny they they the manager have had any part of the Recruitment/investment

player movement…The nearer the descision,Managers have been asked their thoughts, as only part of that end descision..Which will be still taken by recruitment

management…

So my question is who and where is the lie…or misinformation…??

Because for me,either way you just can’t make up false stories,create media

& use media misinterpretation,plus create an opinion on any thought of fact,if

that fact itself is proved false..
And it’s been running over 6-10 years,to help demean & cynically criticise our

Managers….Or the State of our club…!!

Plus tenures at other clubs..!

People expect accountability from the person seemingly in charge, yet they refuse to hold any themselves.

Such is modern society, this age of new truths and abdication of personal responsibility.  :dunno:

I thought Jannick could be ok, that’s my nod to personal accountability :)

2 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Okay, most of the world that follow PL football. From what I've listened to and read in the media etc. it seems that must people don't think he deserves to be sacked, and put our recent issues down to a number of factors, not just the manager. All of my mates, who aren't Leicester fans, all think it would be mental to get rid when we've spoke about it. It's good to get a neutral's perspective sometimes because they often remind us of where we are. We're not a mammoth club who can attract a top manager to come in. I don't think many realistic replacements would do better than what Rodgers has done with what we have at our disposal. That's not to say it's impossible, though. 

Take your point on that but because they don't watch us week in, week out.. they wouldn't necessarily know our potential or capabilities. You can always have a perception of other clubs but when talking to the fans they will give you that bit more insight because they are clued up.

I know Leicester are better then what's happening right now, but tactically they can be mismanaged at times. Brendan is not totally innocent and makes mistakes, (Brentford being an excellent example of this) unfortunately for him, as he is one of the best paid managers in the league I wholly expect him to act like one... I just don't feel we are getting the value for money from him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Yes I'm curious what's happening there. They managed to hold on to a top 7 place but scratch the surface and heyve been very ordinary for a while and yet have and continue to spend significant money.

I think it is a similar story to us, doing well in the PL brings European football, unfortunately, the money associated with Europa League football doesn't give you enough to build a squad capable of competing in both Europe and domestically. Over time overplaying squad members leads to injury and loss of form, which ultimately affect your league form.

West Ham Played 56 games last season compared to 44 in 20/21, Rice for example played 50 games last season compared to 35 in 20/21. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

That's why I wouldn't spend a lot on players like that. Pearson was clever in constantly bringing in new older faces with good mentality and personality to cover positions. Get your prime cream in the 1st and 2nd choice roles and then either you have youngsters or experienced pros, either of which should be relatively cheap.

At least that way when you do have an injury crisis you can point to the fact that you're then relying on inexperience or old legs. Rather than complaining about an "injury crisis" yet still being able to name a team of international players.

I agree in principle, but you do realise under Pearson in the Championship we broke FFP so those old faces weren't that cheap.

So give me some examples of experienced senior pros good enough for the PL who are cheap.

I'm not arguing that Bertrand was a good signing, but I don't think the idea behind the singing wasn't that bad, we just picked the wrong player.   

If Bertrand is on 70k a week, over 2 years that's 7.2m, chuck in a signing-on fee of 1.8m, and that's 9m.

You don't get much for 9m this day combine transfer fee and wages, without taking a risk.   

I not defending the signing more the logic behind it. 

Edited by coolhandfox

2 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

I’d argue that since Brendan arrived here, only Tuchel on that list of managers who are paid less than Rodgers can claim to have had a better 3 years and that is debatable.

I'd perhaps argue David moyes as well but to be fair there aren't many that have done better

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

I agree in principle, but you do realise under Pearson in the Championship we broke FFP so those old faces weren't that cheap.

So give me some examples of experienced senior pros good enough for the PL who are cheap.

I'm not arguing that Bertrand was a good signing, but I don't think the idea behind the singing wasn't that bad, we just picked the wrong player.   

If Bertrand is on 70k a week, over 2 years that's 7.2m, chuck in a signing-on fee of 1.8m, and that's 9m.

You don't get much for 9m this day combine transfer fee and wages, without taking a risk.   

I'd be shocked if GTF, Wasilewskie, Kevin Phillips and Dean Hammond were costing a lot between them, but you never know. 

So 5th choice last season. We could have opted with an academy CB or I think Gary Cahill would likely have taken a decent wage. Either are preferable to spending £15 million on a defender, who by Rodgers admission, was signed as a 5th choice. I'm sure if I had access to a tool that showed me CBs that were out of contract and 34+ I'd have been able to create a nice shortlist. I'm not expecting these lads to be up to the standard of the players  ahead of them and that would be very clear by how much they would be paid.

I just can't buy into this theory of signing players on long term deals when they're clearly a short term fix. I'm even this stingey on football manager to be fair :D My team is formed of 12 academy graduates and I only sign players between the age of 18-20 or 32-35 haha

19 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I'd be shocked if GTF, Wasilewskie, Kevin Phillips and Dean Hammond were costing a lot between them, but you never know. 

We definitely broke FFP in the championship so someone was getting decent money.

19 minutes ago, filbertway said:

So 5th choice last season. We could have opted with an academy CB or I think Gary Cahill would likely have taken a decent wage. Either are preferable to spending £15 million on a defender, who by Rodgers admission, was signed as a 5th choice. I'm sure if I had access to a tool that showed me CBs that were out of contract and 34+ I'd have been able to create a nice shortlist. I'm not expecting these lads to be up to the standard of the players  ahead of them and that would be very clear by how much they would be paid.

The issue for me is they are 5th choice now, but when Fofana had a broken leg and Evans was touch and go they weren't 5th choice, they were 2nd or 3rd. The mistake we made was going for some older with PL experience, we could have got another up-and-coming CB rather than Vesty.

The like of Cahill would have been just as expensive as someone like Bertrand who the club are being battered for signing. 

The problem is very average players get paid too much across the PL league in general 

Such a shame that Benkovic didn't work out, last season would have been the perfect time for him to have game time. Honestly none of our other academy CB were ready.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

In hindsight sure, but if Jonny would have been more broken we would have needed someone, might not have needed to be Jannick mind

Bertrand was just weird, although even then with JJ out, Rickys fitness and doubts over Luke;s capability....

we were leaving Jannick on the bench to play Wilf at CB with Amartey last season

14 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

We definitely broke FFP in the championship so someone was getting decent money.

The issue for me is they are 5th choice now, but when Fofana had a broken leg and Evans was touch and go they weren't 5th choice, they were 2nd or 3rd. The mistake we made was going for some older with PL experience, we could have got another up-and-coming CB rather than Vesty.

The like of Cahill would have been just as expensive as someone like Bertrand who the club are being battered for signing. 

The problem is very average players get paid too much across the PL league in general 

Such a shame that Benkovic didn't work out, last season would have been the perfect time for him to have game time. Honestly none of our other academy CB were ready.

I think the bold part I've highlighted is where we differ in our thinking. I'm generally a long term thinker and in my mind, any signing would have been 4/5th choice with Amartey. You can't just be collecting players because you have injuries. That's exactly what the loan system is for. There are so many options available. Signing a defender in their peak years on nearly 80k a week who is 4th or 5th choice when everyone is fit is not an option in my mind. It's short-termist thinking. 

Also to be fair, if I called Cahill and offered him a year at 30-35k a week for a year of his service and he wanted more I'd just laugh and hang up the phone.

The second bold part, the average player getting paid too much is something we can use to our advantage. It's something that's grossly wrong that people accept as the norm. We should be looking to be innovative with our contracts. Base salary should be fairly low (by prem standards), with a lot made up based on bonuses for performance and effort. If anyone turns out to be not good enough then they're easy to shift as they're on a low salary. If they perform well and are useful to the club, then they'll be well paid. 

Obviously if it were a success, other clubs would start adapting it, but we'd at least have a headstart.

Also, agreed on Benko. I was so excited for him after the reviews he was getting from his first loan at Celtic. Just seems that it was destined for him that he wouldn't make it.

7 minutes ago, Collymore said:

If he plays Evans, Amartay and Cags tomorrow I despair. 

Thing is I don't think he trusts Amartey in a 2 and he doesn't trust Cags at all at the moment - I feel it will be a 3 but either either Jannik or Cags in there with Amartey and Evans

2 hours ago, leicesterseddon said:

So according to Brodgers, the club led him to believe he’d be able to sign players this summer, before then telling him when pre-season training began that he wouldn’t.

Does this sound likely? I’ve no idea. I would have hoped our transfer planning would be more organised than that.

Certainly I can’t think of anything that happened around mid-to-late June that would have affected the financial outlook for the club. The whole thing sounds bizarre. 

...did the UEFA directive have an influence perhaps!!!

8 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

it will all depend on how fit Barnes is

I don't buy this changing the whole formation just because of one player, especially Barnes. 

You could get it to work anyway by pushing someone like Maddison over there and playing Nacho in the 10. Or even just throw the vice captain in. I know it's not ideal but it sounds like Rodgers has worked so hard on this preferred system preseason, surely it's worth sticking to it with different players. 

KDH could even play there bringing in Mendy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Collymore said:

I don't buy this changing the whole formation just because of one player, especially Barnes. 

You could get it to work anyway by pushing someone like Maddison over there and playing Nacho in the 10. Or even just throw the vice captain in. I know it's not ideal but it sounds like Rodgers has worked so hard on this preferred system preseason, surely it's worth sticking to it with different players. 

KDH could even play there bringing in Mendy.

He ended the Sevilla friendly with KDH and Praet as wingers in that system, and considering it was a makeshift solution we played pretty well in it. Looked a lot better like that than we have done in the 532 since that game.

• Like 2

Big call from Rodgers to leave Fofana out if its not come down from the board. Could be seen as massively rocking the boat when there's no need too. 

If we aren't selling Fofana and Rodgers has dropped him and made a spectacle of it he's angling for the sack.

I don't think thats the case and Fofana isn't being risked because of the sale but if that isn't the case then Rodgers is really pushing his luck.