Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Noni Madueke

Brendan has said that we need more depth and we need more quality otherwise we can't be competitive.  That's to me means that if we don't get what he wants then we won't be fighting for top 4.

I think we'll go big on the winger, if not this guy then someone else very highly rated and definitely not someone who needs lots of time developing.

19 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Goals are the issue….. we need more goals from somewhere…. Otherwise we won’t break the top four like we want too. Castagne, Ricardo et al will not add those. We can’t continue to kid ourselves that we can make do, particularly depending what our goals are.

It’s also driving us up the pitch and producing assists etc… I’d be interested to see what the stats are from our full backs in terms of assists, because I bet they’re not great. 

The club won’t be expecting to break top 4.
It’s a bonus. 

• Like 1

Just now, Babylon said:

It’s a bonus. 

I doubt it'll be a minimum target, but given how close we've been to finishing in the top 4 the last 2 seasons, it has to be something that we've got in the back of our minds when recruiting.

And given we have 2 routes to the CL (and that we'll be hungry for more success in the domestic cups after last season) we need quality in depth to give us the best short at in the league, the cups and Europe.

11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Agreed and our defence looks vulnerable which makes the need to be devastating on the attack just as much of a priority as ever. We are not a team that prospers trying to play a containment game week in, week out so its vital we fix our glaring weakness.

Vardy, Barnes, Iheanacho and Daka scored over eighty goals between them last season so personally I am not too worried about goalscoring potential. Even if Daka scores less this season I expect Barnes to score more. Its the goals conceded that we need to do better on . This is going to be a real challenge without Jonny and young Wes so Rodgers has to find the right combination with his available defenders to tighten us up.No team in the premiership should score three against us this season if we want to crack the top four.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Verumex said:

Yes, I do. If it's for a player we believe can improve our team in a big way, and for a saleable asset in a few years time.

That's supposedly around the fee we paid for Tielemans, and we also spent relatively big for Fofana last year.

We don't splash around the cash much, but if we spot a target we really like, we will go for it, and usually the highest we will go, is conveniently around €40m.

As for playing time, he would be the 1st choice RW for us, no question. It's why we're all so desperate for this signing. We've had no real RW for years now and it's our biggest weakness. He would get all the playing time he wants at a club famous for improving youth players, and he can move back to his home country. 

Players can state their intentions to stay, but sometime offers come along that they weren't expecting.

I'm certainly not saying this will definitely happen, I don't expect movement until next week, and any deal could easily be dead in the water by then. But it's most definitely possible that he could move before the transfer window is over, so I wouldn't bet your house or car or anything just yet.

....unless PSV has someone already at their club who can step up or they have someone lined up, I think this is now a bit late in the window for this move to happen!!!

18 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Vardy, Barnes, Iheanacho and Daka scored over eighty goals between them last season so personally I am not too worried about goalscoring potential. Even if Daka scores less this season I expect Barnes to score more. Its the goals conceded that we need to do better on . This is going to be a real challenge without Jonny and young Wes so Rodgers has to find the right combination with his available defenders to tighten us up.No team in the premiership should score three against us this season if we want to crack the top four.

Only 2 of those are likely to be on the pitch at any one time and as much as the need for more goals, we need the supply line for such players to be spot on. Why fans are arguing the glaring weakness of our right wing is beyond me, is it to protect yourself from the pain and anguish?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It’s a bonus. 

I agree with this, but I think top six is definitely a target. But I think we should be targeting the EL as something to do well in, and the final element we need to sort is a goal scoring right sided player. That bonus could well be a reality if we manage to do it. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Agreed and our defence looks vulnerable which makes the need to be devastating on the attack just as much of a priority as ever. We are not a team that prospers trying to play a containment game week in, week out so its vital we fix our glaring weakness.

Absolutely. The biggest take away in my opinion V Wolves was our inability to drive up the pitch when we were under the cosh. As much as o didn’t rate Chilwells all round game, he was exceptionally good at carrying the ball out from the back and pushing us up the pitch, Castagne does it well, and Ricardo to some extent, but you need a more advanced player to do that also. 

It’s a problem, because like you say, our back four isn’t looking too robust, and not having that outlet won’t be ideal long term. 

38 minutes ago, foxfan92 said:

I doubt it'll be a minimum target, but given how close we've been to finishing in the top 4 the last 2 seasons, it has to be something that we've got in the back of our minds when recruiting.

And given we have 2 routes to the CL (and that we'll be hungry for more success in the domestic cups after last season) we need quality in depth to give us the best short at in the league, the cups and Europe.

The club have constantly said what the target is, and it’s not been top 4. Of course you aim as high as possible, but when other teams add £100m players to their teams when they want, it will certainly only be at the back of peoples minds. 

1 hour ago, City1884 said:

I honestly don’t think we are even persuing this.

We may have made a tentative enquiry at one point, but I don’t think Brendan sees RW as an urgent matter. A lot of fans do, but I don’t think Brendan does.

When Castagne returns (shortly), he’ll add the option of Ricardo pushing forward onto RW. He has Perez, who he likes for his balling winning and defensive attributes in the opposition half, and Albrighton is an option.

Also, a RW only really fits when we play 4-2-3-1, it doesn’t fit when we play 4-4-2 as we play more of a narrow diamond, or 5-3-2, so pretty sure he sees spending big on a RW as a bit of a waste.

£40m for Madueke, especially when other teams would battle us for him, seems totally unrealistic, and not our type of business.

A loan, or up to about £15m for a young prospect, for the times we do play 4-2-3-1, seems about the most we’d be interested in for a right winger.

But it was Brendan who stated that a RW would be a target in the transfer window.

And please enough with the oft-repeated moving Ricardo to RW experiment. We've already tried it, and it's rubbish. 

10 minutes ago, foxfan92 said:

Just pay the money. He's literally scoring in every game it seems. No saying it'll translate to the Premier League but this is the transfer I really want us to complete. 

And like has been said several times, there'll be no movement until PSV know which competition they'll be playing in next season. Therefore, you'll have to wait til Tuesday evening at the very earliest for any developments.

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Only 2 of those are likely to be on the pitch at any one time and as much as the need for more goals, we need the supply line for such players to be spot on. Why fans are arguing the glaring weakness of our right wing is beyond me, is it to protect yourself from the pain and anguish?

Partly that. And because I legit think Perez's role is tactical rather than a recruitment failure.

1 minute ago, Foxxed said:

Partly that. And because I legit think Perez's role is tactical rather than a recruitment failure.

....no one looking at Perez playing would suggest that someone picked him out specifically to play a tactical role!!!

If anything he would be underrated by the opposition and surprise them at odd moments winning the ball back. The idea when we brought him in did not work and Rodgers has given him his full trust in holding down the role. Rodgers does have his favourites and prefers a small group of players but strangely he complains about a lack of depth in the squad.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

He said he wants to sign more players, what positions do you think he's after more players in then?

My feeling all along is that Rodgers considers Perez and Albrighton to be at least acceptable options and didn't view RW as a problem that needed fixing.  I don't see any other way to explain why we splashed big money on two guys in Daka and Soumare who - while good players - are at the moment luxury items, and then cried poor.  The lack of hard links to RW options speaks much louder than fans' assumption (however sensible) that we must be desperate to improve on the wing.

21 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

My feeling all along is that Rodgers considers Perez and Albrighton to be at least acceptable options and didn't view RW as a problem that needed fixing.  I don't see any other way to explain why we splashed big money on two guys in Daka and Soumare who - while good players - are at the moment luxury items, and then cried poor.  The lack of hard links to RW options speaks much louder than fans' assumption (however sensible) that we must be desperate to improve on the wing.

I think BR is crying out for the RW position. He wanted 5 players originally and so far we've had 4, except 1 has been an emergency CB buy even though a CB was on the cards. With Daka now on board and with more depth and quality in midfield then I think the only way to significantly increase our goal tally is get a RW. Perez and Albrighton don't score goals. I admire Albrighton a lot, little can be said for perez though!