Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Noni Madueke

31 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

My feeling all along is that Rodgers considers Perez and Albrighton to be at least acceptable options and didn't view RW as a problem that needed fixing.  I don't see any other way to explain why we splashed big money on two guys in Daka and Soumare who - while good players - are at the moment luxury items, and then cried poor.  The lack of hard links to RW options speaks much louder than fans' assumption (however sensible) that we must be desperate to improve on the wing.

...not sure how you can cast the acquisition of Daka and Soumare as luxury players!!!

A long term injury to Vardy and we are left with Nacho on his own upfront. Our midfield has done extremely well to compete with just the two in there and we have struggled to compete in big games, because we have not had the numbers in there.

I see Soumare as a enforcer for Tielemans, we cannot afford for him to be pressed as that just shuts us down, So Soumare comes in and beefs up the middle and allows Youri to play.

Perhaps to some extent you are correct , in as much as Rodgers does not view the Right Wing as something that urgently needs to be fixed, you can always find a way to stifle that channel for the opposition and Albrighton and Perez will do that, it does not call for any kind of creativity.

As for the money situation, so long as we do not advertise we have a surplus of funds it helps us, in our negotiations.

• Like 3

They're luxury players in the sense that in what Rodgers clearly views as his best starting 11, they don't have a place.  If he felt RW was a problem that needed fixing, signing a RW would have been a case of signing a guy who would have been part of that default starting 11.  To me the logical conclusion based on that is that he didn't consider fixing RW a high priority, which can only mean he finds his existing alternatives acceptable.

Edited by Deeg67

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

They're luxury players in the sense that in what Rodgers clearly views as his best starting 11, they don't have a place.  If he felt RW was a problem that needed fixing, signing a RW would have been a case of signing a guy who would have been part of that default starting 11.  To me the logical conclusion based on that is that he didn't consider fixing RW a high priority, which can only mean he finds his existing alternatives acceptable.

And/or that he doesn't have complete and unilateral control of our transfer business. The logical conclusion in my eyes is that he would probably quite like a right winger but at this point in the window there hasn't been one on the market who would represent a marked upgrade on our current options, cost an amount we deem reasonable relative to their ability, want to come here and demand wages we're willing to pay them. That might change as we get towards the very end of the window and clubs with one eye on their bank balance start to get twitchy, it might not.

• Like 2

I could see not Perez scoring the type of goal he scored yesterday, all be it against a Dutch Pub Team.  Zhavi looks a player.

Edited by mozartfox
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

My feeling all along is that Rodgers considers Perez and Albrighton to be at least acceptable options and didn't view RW as a problem that needed fixing.  I don't see any other way to explain why we splashed big money on two guys in Daka and Soumare who - while good players - are at the moment luxury items, and then cried poor.  The lack of hard links to RW options speaks much louder than fans' assumption (however sensible) that we must be desperate to improve on the wing.

We’re desperate, and Brendan absolutely knows it.

He will want a CB and RW. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Daka is hardly a luxury player as he has clearly been brought in to be nurtured as the successor to Vardy, and Soumare should fill a much-needed role in the ability to toughen up the midfield (not as a starter in every game but as an essential option).

But you may be right about Brendan's attitude to the right wing.  Equally, you could interpret his attitude as "making do with what we've got" in the light of the club not being prepared to sanction the extra spend.

With the club's secretiveness on transfer strategy and dealings I find it impossible to guess which is the correct interpretation of the situation. Can only wait and see, and hope for the best.

9 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

2 hours ago, Phil Bowman said:

Another equally logical conclusion would be that the right player wasn’t available at the right price.

And all this is assuming that we don’t sign someone before the window shuts.

Absolutely the latter.

Priority and desperation are not synonymous. Accordingly, as shown with the Under situation, while Rodgers has himself singled out a need to bring in a RW (which is why we brought in Cengiz, even though we had Perez and Albrighton), it has to be the right player for the right price. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, LestaLad said:

Pay it. He’ll be worth double come next season. It’s an investment.

No way is there 10 clubs after him.

If we're at our financial limit then that means there's only about 25 clubs in world football who could afford him.

As Spuds released him, surely Levy’s pride will not let him spunk a wad on him?  That’s admitting a huge cock-up  and the Nabs a genius according to him.

52 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Daka was not a luxury signing one injury to a 34 year old striker (Vardy) and Nacho would have to play 50 odd games, plus Vardy's down turn in form showed we needed more options. Having 3 srtikers in a squad of 25 is not a luxury. 

Soumare addresses another issue we ran out of legs and phyically in the middle of the park, without Nididi which we will be for large parts of January and February we have no physicality in the middle of the park.

The reason we didn't get top 4 was'nt because our starting 11 wasn't good enough, it was because the squad wasn't good enough.

The best way to improve the squad is to improve the starting 11.  If BR felt RW was the priority, we would have signed a RW before we signed guys to strengthen the bench.

I’m getting transfer window fatigue now. I still think we’ve got a 50:50 chance of getting Madueke in if Benfica win this week. It sounds like PSV are beginning to show their hand that they actually do want to sell and are doing all they can to maximise profit. On the one hand this might drive us away. On the other the one off instance of financial restrictions being eased could be a window of opportunity for us to really push on this window knowing that we’re likely to lose Tielemans next summer. 

Edited by SydenhamFox

T

15 minutes ago, SydenhamFox said:

I’m getting transfer window fatigue now. I still think we’ve got a 50:50 chance of getting Madueke in if Benfica win this week. It sounds like PSV are beginning to show their hand that they actually do want to sell and are doing all they can to maximise profit. On the one hand this might drive us away. On the other the one off instance of financial restrictions being eased could be a window of opportunity for us to really push on this window knowing that we’re likely to lose Tielemans next summer. 

They don’t need to sell, with the selling of Dumfries, Malen en other players they already have made enough this window to start the season. 

16 minutes ago, noniiiballer said:

T

They don’t need to sell, with the selling of Dumfries, Malen en other players they already have made enough this window to start the season. 

‘Need’ is a big word and different to ‘want’. A big enough offer would elicit the latter.  

Edited by SydenhamFox

2 minutes ago, SydenhamFox said:

‘Need’ is a big word and different to ‘want’. A big enough offer would elicit the latter.  

PSV are in a strong position , he is not pushing for a transfer and appears patient with his career advancement. A number of clubs are following him and they are not in financial trouble. They can set a very high fee and if nobody wants to pay then so be it. At 19 y. o. there is plenty of time.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

If we had £40m to spend I’m fairly sure we’d have signed a winger by now.

It's rarely that simple though, is it?

Think how much money United spend on transfers and they still took forever to finally get Sancho.

4 minutes ago, foxfan92 said:

It's rarely that simple though, is it?

Think how much money United spend on transfers and they still took forever to finally get Sancho.

Agreed. Sometimes about patience to get the right player in rather than just spending £40m on anyone.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 hour ago, Babylon said:

If we had £40m to spend I’m fairly sure we’d have signed a winger by now.

Weve never spent 40m on a player ever. This is a very simplistic take.

More likely the players that we're after are being touted at higher prices than we'll go to. As Rodgers has said countless times the players were after are in the 20-30m bracket.

45 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

PSV are in a strong position , he is not pushing for a transfer and appears patient with his career advancement. A number of clubs are following him and they are not in financial trouble. They can set a very high fee and if nobody wants to pay then so be it. At 19 y. o. there is plenty of time.

True. £40m now though and he could well be an £80m player in two seasons. How much of a gamble with this lad?

We don’t get bullied in the transfer market and we won’t be drawn into a bidding war. 

IMO we will get someone in our terms (whether that be permanently or on loan) or we’ll go with what we have. Won’t be bent over by anyone. 

If I had to put my house on it I’d say we will get a wide player in and it wouldn’t surprise me if one comes out of nowhere with a day or two of the window left. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

The best way to improve the squad is to improve the starting 11.  If BR felt RW was the priority, we would have signed a RW before we signed guys to strengthen the bench.

How do you know, you don't 

Just because we don't have one yet doesn't mean it's not mean it not a priority.

More a case of we can't get who we want a the right price. 

2 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Put down the football manager logic  and look back  at his interviews. He’s always said if the right player becomes available they’d like to try and do something.. he’s also said asking price can be a problem… we can’t just  make an offer, get it accepted and sign them.

• Like 1