Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Spudulike

Champions of England 5 years on.

Has it sunk in yet? I'm still not sure that it ever will or if it even happened. 

After reading @SydenhamFox's post about not placing a £5 bet it made me think about regrets from that glorious season.

I was lucky enough to get to 17 of the 19 home matches and really should be grateful to have been there in person to witness it unfolding However, the two matches I missed really bug me. The first was the Villa match as I decided to watch it on telly with my Dad (now sadly passed on) and hand my ticket onto my daughter. The second was the Liverpool match due to my son being away and me not wanting to do a 5 hour plus drive on my own on a cold Monday night. The Vardy goal still makes me annoyed every time I see it. Weird emotion but I selfishly wanted him to have scored that goal in one of the other matches when I was present. 

Other than that I'm still waiting for that coffee table book telling the story of the greatest football underdog story ever. 

• Like 3

After not missing any home games for a good 10 years, I foolishly decided to move to Oz for a couple of years within months of us deciding to turn into the best team in England.

Luckily my gamble of sacking it all off and flying home to be part of the celebrations paid off :scarf:

Nothing beats the buzz of football.

Any achievement now is great but we are also a better squad with better players and a bigger budget even relative to the rich 6 than 2016.

For its time, the only remotely similar comparison you could make now would be Barnsley or Brentford winning the pr4lemier league next season.

You cant even say Burnley or Brighton winning the league would be a greater achievement as they've had premier league money for years.

Edited by Nalis

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

Has it sunk in yet? I'm still not sure that it ever will or if it even happened. 

After reading @SydenhamFox's post about not placing a £5 bet it made me think about regrets from that glorious season.

I was lucky enough to get to 17 of the 19 home matches and really should be grateful to have been there in person to witness it unfolding However, the two matches I missed really bug me. The first was the Villa match as I decided to watch it on telly with my Dad (now sadly passed on) and hand my ticket onto my daughter. The second was the Liverpool match due to my son being away and me not wanting to do a 5 hour plus drive on my own on a cold Monday night. The Vardy goal still makes me annoyed every time I see it. Weird emotion but I selfishly wanted him to have scored that goal in one of the other matches when I was present. 

Other than that I'm still waiting for that coffee table book telling the story of the greatest football underdog story ever. 

I missed the first match of the season as it clashed with a festival I attended and I missed the Southampton game in April as I was in Athens. So 17 out of 19 like yourself. I managed 7 of the 19 away games as well.

I will never forget the weekend. Went to the local pub to watch Leicester vs Man U and it was packed out, then I returned the next evening to watch Chelsea vs Tottenham (I just couldn't miss that). It wasn't busy at all. However, what a night that was, I will never forget it. I was training for a half marathon in Luxembourg at the time (my first of that distance) so I stayed off the drink but that night was an exception as we toasted with some bubbly. The nerves through the end of that match and the 7 or 8 minutes of stoppage time. Then seeing the 'C' next to a golden highlighted Leicester City when Sky showed the table. Still seems ridiculous.

• Like 1

I still think how utterly mental that season was. I remember thinking the summer before what it must be like to support a team winning top leagues, and then we facking did it. 

I wonder what it must be like supporting a team winning European trophies..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

There must be some who had a season ticket for years up to 2014/2015 but didnt renew in 2015/16 for whatever reason, thats life I guess.

There was quite a few near to where I sit in the Kop that knocked it on the head prior to 2015-2016 season.

I think most of them had made up their minds by March before the great escape & were too stubborn to change their minds.

I had a season ticket from 08/09 in League 1 until the play-off heartbreak in 12/13, when the mates I used to go with got bored and decided that they'd rather go to the pub after turning 18. 

Then had a membership in 13/14, but couldn't get a ST for 14/15. Was on the waiting list and luckily got in about a week before they sacked Pearson. I remember thinking that if I knew they'd sack Pearson, I wouldn't have bothered lol 

Timehop is great for revisiting some of the excitement. Even that Monday night Spurs drew against West Brom was superb. 

What's actually ridiculous, looking back and not in the moment, is how comfortable we made it in the last two months. Four points dropped from the start of March until it was confirmed.

Of course we were all on here working out permutations and hoping we wouldn't throw it away- truth is, it never looked likely. If it was anyone else involved we'd be remarking how little it actually changed when it mattered.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

After not missing any home games for a good 10 years, I foolishly decided to move to Oz for a couple of years within months of us deciding to turn into the best team in England.

Luckily my gamble of sacking it all off and flying home to be part of the celebrations paid off :scarf:

Nothing beats the buzz of football.

When we win it again next year you can credit me for it!

The night we won it, I was numb after the game, just didn't register at all.

Then about midnight, I sat in the garden with a spliff and suddenly the enormity of what we'd done hit me like a train.

I cried like a baby.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Buce said:

The night we won it, I was numb after the game, just didn't register at all.

Then about midnight, I sat in the garden with a spliff and suddenly the enormity of what we'd done hit me like a train.

I cried like a baby.

I was cheated out of it a bit tbh, I couldn’t watch the Spurs vs Chelsea game live. I was on call and had a callout to attend. So I set it to record, turned my personal phone off and set off, with the intention of watching the match once home.

I deliberately didn’t put the radio on, to make sure I wasn’t alerted to the result. Anyway, I got stuck on the job and needed a bit of advice and called my supervisor who helped me. The cùnt also told me we were champions despite me asking him not to tell me the result at the start of the phone call.

I was that pissed off I didn’t really even begin to enjoy it for a couple of days.

Edited by Strokes
  • Sad 4

33 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I was cheated out of it a bit tbh, I couldn’t watch the Spurs vs Chelsea game live. I was on call and had a callout to attend. So I set it to record, turned my personal phone off and set off, with the intention of watching the match once home.

I deliberately didn’t put the radio on, to make sure I wasn’t alerted to the result. Anyway, I got stuck on the job and needed a bit of advice and called my supervisor who helped me. The cùnt also told me we were champions despite me asking him not to tell me the result at the start of the phone call.

I was that pissed off I didn’t really even begin to enjoy it for a couple of days.

There is a whole separate thread to be had about not wanting to know a score and finding out unintentionally.

I once massively fell out with Mrs Vac for doing it for an England game, despite my attempts to explain that it would spoil it.

But yours is the worst I've ever heard.

3 hours ago, Nalis said:

There must be some who had a season ticket for years up to 2014/2015 but didnt renew in 2015/16 for whatever reason, thats life I guess.

I moved abroad in May 2015. Just my kick. After watching years of dross I miss the bulk of greatest season of all. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

There is a whole separate thread to be had about not wanting to know a score and finding out unintentionally.

I once massively fell out with Mrs Vac for doing it for an England game, despite my attempts to explain that it would spoil it.

But yours is the worst I've ever heard.

England f.......