Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Spudulike

Champions of England 5 years on.

13 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

There is a whole separate thread to be had about not wanting to know a score and finding out unintentionally.

I once massively fell out with Mrs Vac for doing it for an England game, despite my attempts to explain that it would spoil it.

But yours is the worst I've ever heard.

Before mobile phones bought absolutely everything to our fingertips. I could regularly still watch Leicester and avoid all the premier League games and still watch match of the day unaware. It’s almost impossible now.

• Like 2

Nothing will ever take the place of our first Premier League win, especially being a London based fan and getting all non-Spurs and Arsenal fans cheering us on!

However equally as pleasing for me is that we have built on the success. Champions League football followed and we made it to the Quarters, beating Sevilla who had won three Europa leagues on the bounce. 5th in the Prem last season and regardless of what happens this season, we will be finishing at least top 5 again. An FA Cup final awaits and we made the last 32 in the Europa, dominating the group stages. Finally, our squad is just superb with so many of them 24 years and under.

It may have been surreal to win but this time around, it feels like we can be that club to constantly break the big 6 with a superb transfer policy and high quality manager to guide them.

2 hours ago, lgfualol said:

I still think how utterly mental that season was. I remember thinking the summer before what it must be like to support a team winning top leagues, and then we facking did it. 

I wonder what it must be like supporting a team winning European trophies..

😉

Guest StevieLynex
4 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I missed the first match of the season as it clashed with a festival I attended and I missed the Southampton game in April as I was in Athens. So 17 out of 19 like yourself. I managed 7 of the 19 away games as well.

I will never forget the weekend. Went to the local pub to watch Leicester vs Man U and it was packed out, then I returned the next evening to watch Chelsea vs Tottenham (I just couldn't miss that). It wasn't busy at all. However, what a night that was, I will never forget it. I was training for a half marathon in Luxembourg at the time (my first of that distance) so I stayed off the drink but that night was an exception as we toasted with some bubbly. The nerves through the end of that match and the 7 or 8 minutes of stoppage time. Then seeing the 'C' next to a golden highlighted Leicester City when Sky showed the table. Still seems ridiculous.

Watching Hazard pick up the ball, then shooting, I thought that the shot was going to end up in row Z. Starting to think that we hadn't got there yet - could we fall at the last hurdle? Then the net ripples. A strange feeling ensues. Could it be ruled out for some sort of offence, will our joy be short-lived. Then the realisation that we were less than ten minutes away from achieving the impossible. Chelsea had looked vulnerable at the back, and so there was a chance that Spurs could create one last chance. As the minutes ticked away, nervousness took hold. A free kick for Chelsea. Just keep it away from their half. But they had a better idea - take it into the corner. Then the referee's whistle goes. A surreal feeling of numbness - we have just won the league, we are the champions. Then utter joy and a sense of emotion as it sunk it. A never ever to be forgotten night.

Edited by StevieLynex

Mate of mine at work put money in at the beginning of the season when we avoided relegation  to win over £12,000!!!

I thought he was fecking stupid obviously  at the time!!!

He said he had a premonition  after a p!ssed up night out and put the bet in when he woke up Sunday afternoon!!!

5 hours ago, Nalis said:

There must be some who had a season ticket for years up to 2014/2015 but didnt renew in 2015/16 for whatever reason, thats life I guess.

****in hell @Nalis you’re making it worse for me! I’d forgotten that I was a ‘Gold Member’ in 2014/15 season, the highest level of membership at the time, which had the benefit of a guaranteed season ticket on offer for the 15/16 season. Guess who didn’t take it?! 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, SydenhamFox said:

****in hell @Nalis you’re making it worse for me! I’d forgotten that I was a ‘Gold Member’ in 2014/15 season, the highest level of membership at the time, which had the benefit of a guaranteed season ticket on offer for the 15/16 season. Guess who didn’t take it?! 

I can make you feel better, check out this big mistake.

My uncle and cousin have been season ticket holders for what is essentially forever, go to every game they can (they live outside of leicester), the ones they can't get to, usually around 3 or 4 a season, they let me and my old man have the tickets for face value, usually no big deal right, miss a few games of the season but watch it on tv wherever they happen to be, all is good. Now in 2016 my cousin was getting married...Abroad. Happened to coincide with the Everton game where we lifted the trophy. Idiot cousin ended up picking his wife over a once in a lifetime premier league win. Me and my old man had the best day out in history and worst of all, dead serious, my cousin got divorced less than 2 years later. :doh:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

I can make you feel better, check out this big mistake.

My uncle and cousin have been season ticket holders for what is essentially forever, go to every game they can (they live outside of leicester), the ones they can't get to, usually around 3 or 4 a season, they let me and my old man have the tickets for face value, usually no big deal right, miss a few games of the season but watch it on tv wherever they happen to be, all is good. Now in 2016 my cousin was getting married...Abroad. Happened to coincide with the Everton game where we lifted the trophy. Idiot cousin ended up picking his wife over a once in a lifetime premier league win. Me and my old man had the best day out in history and worst of all, dead serious, my cousin got divorced less than 2 years later. :doh:

Oof. Well, I’m glad you went. I was there for that one. Special wasn’t it?! I went with my brother, who wanted to do his usual trick of getting away early to beat the traffic! Can you believe it?! Like immediately after we lifted the trophy. I made stay longer but I wanted to stay until the last person walked off the pitch. 

1 hour ago, SydenhamFox said:

Oof. Well, I’m glad you went. I was there for that one. Special wasn’t it?! I went with my brother, who wanted to do his usual trick of getting away early to beat the traffic! Can you believe it?! Like immediately after we lifted the trophy. I made stay longer but I wanted to stay until the last person walked off the pitch. 

The lad and I did stay in the ground until they chucked us out! By then it was mostly Italians demanding Claudio come back out. He eventually reappeared down the tunnel with the Premier League trophy and posed for photos with his compatriots. Very atmospheric in the stadium as the East Stand and both ends were empty as the mist swirled around. Unforgettable. 

I regularly look back still just think ‘wow’ but I think the disbelief has now just changed more towards gratitude.

For years it felt unfortunate to be a Leicester fan. We kind of revelled in the “we’ll never truly be really successful” mindset and I think that’s why the FA Cup has been huge for us forever - it’s kind of like we knew our League Cups made us semi successful but we needed a ‘proper’ one to be acknowledged.

But now, I think we’re the luckiest fans in the world.

I’ll never tire of talking about it but the main thing I love is talking about the memories that came around the games rather than the games themselves. That period in my life, the days out, the people I experienced it with.

For everyone else, it was a great sports story that unfolded on the tv. I lived it, breathed it, heck, even contributed to it if, like me, you believe that our home

atmosphere played a huge part in it. There’s an exclusive club that we’re in by being able to say that.

When I talk about it, it’s not a game or a goal. It’s a period in my life and memories of people and places that I’ll take to the grave. And the feeling, as others have quite rightly said, that will never be replicated.

I’d pay stupid amounts of money to re-live the day we lifted it or to somehow watch a film of my day from first person perspective.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Nalis said:

There must be some who had a season ticket for years up to 2014/2015 but didnt renew in 2015/16 for whatever reason, thats life I guess.

Well whoever they are I owe two of them a debt of gratitude. 

I'd had season tickets off and on for a few years since around 2001. I'd not had one for a couple of seasons prior to 15/16 and really missed it, so got myself a couple of gold memberships in 14/15 hoping it would guarantee me first refusal for any 15/16 cancelled season tickets. I seem to remember the memberships were quite expensive at the time, but it worked as I managed to secure 2 tickets and have had them ever since. 

In retrospect the gold membership was a shrewd and wise investment. 

Edited by Jobyfox
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Strokes said:

Before mobile phones bought absolutely everything to our fingertips. I could regularly still watch Leicester and avoid all the premier League games and still watch match of the day unaware. It’s almost impossible now.

The tannoy guy at the Walkers always read out all the half time and full time scores in the Championship and Premier League. 

13 minutes ago, Koke said:

The tannoy guy at the Walkers always read out all the half time and full time scores in the Championship and Premier League. 

I always like grounds where they put up half times next to a letter of the alphabet and so you need to know what letter the lcfc match was

23 minutes ago, Koke said:

I’m always outside smoking/talking/eating, it’s easy to throw a deafun on that.

Fantastic achievement and the club has maintained a presence around the top six for a few years now

The training ground has been built but I feel until the club plays in a Stadium that only holds more 

than the current 32,000 then it will be classed as a club punching above its weight Top mentioned

the possibility of  the stadium being expanded after the 2016 title success Five years later there is

no sign other than rumour of it happening , the club is stagnating regarding this

• Sad 1

It was a weird season but not because we were lucky or other teams didn't show up, I don't buy that notion for one minute.

Everyone always asks me when did you think Leicester might win the league? This question constantly reminds me of a conversation that me and my old man (now departed) had walking back to the car at West Ham after the first away game. I thought the way we played that day against a very good West Ham side at a stadium where we hadn't previously had much joy was a sign of a good season, so I said if we carry on like that there won't be many sides who'd beat us on any given day. Some might argue that it's easy to say that in hindsight but I genuinely felt we were in for something special (admittedly not quite that special).

I still have to pinch myself when I think back to that season. All the abuse I took as a kid for not being a sheep and following one of the traditional big clubs like all my mates, constantly having the p*ss ripped out of me because my heroes were barely better than Sunday League and weren't household names, resigning myself to the fact that that's just the way things are but someone has to support a team like Leicester so why not me; and yet of the 92 teams in the EFL+PL the one club that goes and achieves the impossible to create a story of legend (almost mythical in nature) just happened to be that club that had been passed down to me through multiple generations of my family.

In all honesty it could have been any club, yet someone was looking down upon us that season and wrote a story so obscene that I know no matter how I try to convey it to my grand kids (which is a long way off) they simply won't be able to comprehend the enormity of what that group of players achieved. In fact what happened is so ridiculous I sometimes have question the reality of it all myself. 

• Like 2

I was at that west ham game at upton park...remember seeing what looked like a little kid coming on the pitch at the start of the game to play for us..looked more like a mascot..as i walked away from the ground i was almost in disbelief..Kante.

Mahrez scored,Vardy never gave their defence a moments peace...a few weeks later i had a bet on us at 1500/1 to win the league...the last few matches were agony to watch though