Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Southampton A Post Match Thread

3 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I don’t like singling people out, but I personally thought Maddison was largely to blame for the ponderous attacking play, possibly because he’s not fit, but it’s something I don’t like about his game in general, he’s always taking too long on the ball, he dithers rather that keeps it moving, and last night was largely shit from him trying pop shots from 30 yards all night.

He has got to learn to recycle the ball quicker, especially in games like last night that are tight, if your lacking match fitness you’re not going to be smashing balls in the top pocket every shot. 

Praet should have come on to offer some energy, legs and sensible ball recycling last night. So not too clever from Rodgers either. 

It’s tricky with Maddy. For sure he wasn’t great last night. I sense he is a player who needs game time to be at his best, and at his best he is undeniably a match winner. So I guess the hope is last night’s game time give us a reward next week. I wondered if Praet might come on for him too though, although I’m not yet sure of Praet’s natural position

The more I reflect on it the more I think the first half performance is what really cost us. We were so lack lustre and continuing with a back 5 was simply not the right approach, especially as Thomas is not a flying wing back who gets forward. We created nothing before half team against a team horribly out of form, a man down and with the second worst defensive record in the league. Think Brendan should have changed to a 4 at the back much earlier. Our current lack of quality wide options was also glaring as we had nobody able to utilise the extra space available down the flanks or able to dribble and attack defenders to create space. 

• Like 2

any team can give away a penalty or concede a goal thru a mistake - the problem was not that Southampton scored - it was the we should have been two up by then.  WE were not clinical in the last third and were way too ponderous.  After the red card then Brendan should have changed the set up sooner (like after 10 mins). Madison remains a bottleneck who is out of form - he gets in the way of youri;s passes. I think he needs to start on the bench.  Worse he is trying to score a worldy every time to attract southgate... Oh dear... we wont stay in the top 4 or win the fa cup like this.

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I would have thought the first thing they would have discussed at halftime would be not to concede any free kicks where they can get it in the box as that would be the only way they would ever score. So what happens? Timmy gives away a really silly free kick and they score. 

So frustrating to watch and let’s be honest we were flat and leggy.

I can’t believe that Rodgers persisted with Thomas until the 70th minute. When a team is dug in so deep it your full backs see a lot of the ball, yet our left side was a consistent dead end due to Thomas’s lack of ability/confidence/experience...whatever it is. That allowed Southampton to concentrate on Castagne on the right.

No surprise that after bringing Albrighton on we looked much more dangerous. That should have happened at half time.

We are obviously still in the driving seat but we had an opportunity served to use on a silver platter last night and we didn’t take it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

I don’t like singling people out, but I personally thought Maddison was largely to blame for the ponderous attacking play, possibly because he’s not fit, but it’s something I don’t like about his game in general, he’s always taking too long on the ball, he dithers rather that keeps it moving, and last night was largely shit from him trying pop shots from 30 yards all night.

He has got to learn to recycle the ball quicker, especially in games like last night that are tight, if your lacking match fitness you’re not going to be smashing balls in the top pocket every shot. 

Praet should have come on to offer some energy, legs and sensible ball recycling last night. So not too clever from Rodgers either. 

Bang on

• Haha 1

Oh and can we talk about stoppage time! The red card and the injury to Vardy took over 4 minutes in the first half and there was also a sub in there, Fofana breaking fast and lots of time wasting by Southampton. Yet only 3 minutes was added.

Second half there was 2 goals, 3 subs and countless free-kicks and goal-kicks that Southampton were taking around a minute to take. Yet only 3 minutes was added on.

This is why teams time waste as there is never any repercussions.

Edited by Ricey
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, peterborofox said:

Wank performance

Arrogant springs to mind. Expected to pass the ball around and just beat a poor ten man team. Not good enough. 

The circumstances of that game made any think but a win a disappointment. And it was.

Poor, not one stand out performance

I sensed that arrogance after the sending off. Rather than it giving us a kick to make the advantage count we seemed to relax and slow everything down, as if the game was now already in the bag.

It was going behind that finally kick us into life, as is so often the case.

• Haha 1

The stats suggest we should have won comfortably . Our lack of striking options means we have to persist with Vardy in hope rather than expectation. He needs to be used in a totally different way next season . Another striker is priority number one and then we can cut Jamie's pitch time considerably . Pretty sure his goals per minute will then improve. Every time we get linked with a defender everybody goes apeshit on here but its striking options that Rodgers needs.

Guest ttfn
12 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Oh and can we talk about stoppage time! The red card and the injury to Vardy took over 4 minutes in the first half and there was also a sub in there, Fofana breaking fast and lots of time wasting by Southampton. Yet only 3 minutes was added.

Second half there was 2 goals, 3 subs and countless free-kicks and goal-kicks that Southampton were taking around a minute to take. Yet only 4 minutes was added on.

3 minutes in the second half too. Ball was in play for 66 seconds of second half injury time.

That said we didn’t deserve to win. Not for lack of trying but there were too many passengers yesterday.

15 minutes ago, ttfn said:

3 minutes in the second half too. Ball was in play for 66 seconds of second half injury time.

That said we didn’t deserve to win. Not for lack of trying but there were too many passengers yesterday.

Did you count the ‘time in play’ Monday evening added time when we seeing a game out ??  It’s frustrating but all sides are guilty of game management of this type and you take the rough with the smooth ......

I watched the first half but missed the second as I had to go to my night shift. Sounds like I didn't miss much! I guess if we don't win, don't lose! I'm puzzled by a few things. Madders clearly isn't right yet he continues to persist with him. Praet, Ricardo and Under don't get any time at all? Praet and Ricky are coming back from injury so maybe he is managing them but how can they build up match fitness, confidence and momentum if they never play? They are not going to be happy to never play for much longer I should imagine especially when Madders is playing and he isn't ready either. The argument could also be used that they are clearly more disciplined too. Surely Praet was worth a shot to team up with Timmy down the right? Under is going but his pace possibly may have helped? Its all very well playing your unchanged strongest team but there are weak links at the moment and others deserve a chance. Kel is a prime example of that! It's always the same team with the same subs. 

Edited by Hales
  • Like 1

Guest ttfn
1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Did you count the ‘time in play’ Monday evening added time when we seeing a game out ??  It’s frustrating but all sides are guilty of game management of this type and you take the rough with the smooth ......

I wasn’t criticising Southampton, I was criticising the timekeeping which is consistently dreadful. Time they either take it away from the referee or they switch to 30 minute halves with a stopped clock every time the ball goes out. We’d get much more football and it would be much fairer. 

35 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Second half there was 2 goals, 3 subs and countless free-kicks and goal-kicks that Southampton were taking around a minute to take. Yet only 3 minutes was added on.

Totally agree. But I think our team is too nice and polite. You think Man U players wouldn't have been in the ref's ear continually about McCarthy's time wasting? He would then have booked him and put a stop to it. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox

10 hours ago, Reg Vardy said:

What actually has Underdone to warrant getting on the pitch...the lad is leaving the club in four weeks, why would Brendan even think about putting him on?

As has been already said, to give us something a little different, perhaps unpredictable, to discomfort the opposition, and also someone who would be prepared to run at the opposition.  If Brendan had no intention of putting him on whatever the situation why did he have him occupying a place on the bench?

1 minute ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

If we're going to persist with 3-5-2 then we badly need to sort a proper number 10. Maddison is far far too patchy and Perez has less goal contributions this season than James Justin.

As Maddison is valued at 50 million , it tells you how much we would have to spend on an import. Perez is our alternative at the moment but we will really have to have KDH on the bench next season.

2 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I really think Rodgers missed a trick my taking Fofana off and not bringing width on. He had Albrighton, Ricardo and Under on the bench. Instead he brings Perez on and the middle gets too congested. We needed to spread the play wide and open them up especially as we’re playing against 10 men. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ttfn said:

I wasn’t criticising Southampton, I was criticising the timekeeping which is consistently dreadful. Time they either take it away from the referee or they switch to 30 minute halves with a stopped clock every time the ball goes out. We’d get much more football and it would be much fairer. 

If we make the champions league then I suggest you don’t watch the back end of games !  The ball being out of play for too long seems to be part and parcel of the game to most euro refs .....I often wonder if they have a local temptress in their dressing room after the game .....they’re that keen to end it! 

• Like 1