Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Sidnei Tavares

6 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

It’s a weird one with him where he couldn’t exactly have complained about pathway to the first team. He was given opportunities in pre-season and Rodgers showed some faith putting him into Premier League games. He was quite clearly on that trajectory to becoming a first team player here.

He’ll no doubt back his ability to do well at Porto but he’s still, by all accounts, being signed for their B team.

I often think the value of training daily with a first team as strong as ours currently is is underrated. For instance, the methodologies and approaches at our academy probably haven’t changed all that much in the last 15 years but the likes of Barnes, Choudhury, Chilwell and Dewsbury-Hall have been moving into a first team environment with the likes of Tielemans, Fuchs, Mahrez and Vardy rather than Fryatt, Berner, Wellens and Dyer. 

Tavares could have stayed here and been in amongst that quality on a day to day basis, dragging his own standards up by immersion in that environment rather than going off and playing semi-serious football with Porto’s B team.

Young players develop by playing games, not by training, irrespective of the standard of players you are training with. The latter can help if your playing regularly of course but without regular games it means little.

3 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...he would be training in a good environment but learning nothing!!!

Going out on the park is where you learn, things happen and you have to make adjustments there and then or ask for help. You do not know what you need to know by just training in a first class environment. 

Take a look at Choudhury who has stagnated and struggling to develop, he is with the group year after year and must be so frustrated as he is unable to put anything he has learned into practice.

It is a great move for him (Tavares), the language will not be an issue but I suspect that was not uppermost in his thoughts when he decided to seek  pastures new.

18 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Young players develop by playing games, not by training, irrespective of the standard of players you are training with. The latter can help if your playing regularly of course but without regular games it means little.

Is playing for Porto’s B Team really that much more beneficial than playing our our U23 side or going out on loan to the Championship for a few months like Chilwell did?

Had he gone somewhere and been straight into their first team to play then I’d understand the move. As it is, he’s given up knocking on the door or a first team here (where he’s surrounded by top class Premier League talent and world class facilities) to go and try and do the same elsewhere.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Is playing for Porto’s B Team really that much more beneficial than playing our our U23 side or going out on loan to the Championship for a few months like Chilwell did?

Had he gone somewhere and been straight into their first team to play then I’d understand the move. As it is, he’s given up knocking on the door or a first team here (where he’s surrounded by top class Premier League talent and world class facilities) to go and try and do the same elsewhere.

....it is not that cut and dried!!!

Sancho left Man. City for Dortmund as a 17 year old, Madueke left Spurs as a 16 year old to PSV and they did not land into their first teams. They both have played themselves into the first teams of their respective clubs.

We cannot view this as a rejection of our club but a brave decision by a young player who wants to reach the top but sees a different way of doing so.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Yes as in Porto's B team he'll be playing competitive football in a professional league against grown men. He'll learn far more in that environment than playing in glorified friendlies against what are essentially youth players. He's not went out on loan to the championship so that's an invalid comparison.

Breaking into the Porto team is going to be far easier than breaking into the Leicester side, I'd have thought that much is obvious. Porto play in a weaker league which they dominate therefore there is going to be more scope to carry youngsters and make mistakes. There is no such luxury any longer for Leicester now they are in the upper echelons of the best league in the world, there is no scope to carry youngsters all that much unless they are exceptional and as good a player as Tavares is reported to be I don't think he's exceptional.

• Like 1

Tavares has such potential that he could reach the top, the very top. I was sceptical about him for a long time when he played in the U23's, not because of his skill but because of his demands behind the scenes and I think that's why the club eventually cashed in on him. 

He's been asked questions over the last year about where he'd want to play if he left our academy and his response was Porto even back then. I'm not sure what happened with the Italian team but I can only assume that we were using them as leverage for the transfer fee. 

If Tavares had've demanded first team football once only during the contract negotiations over the summer (when he did play first team pre season training/games) then I'd have sympathy. But he had been moaning for quite a while which disappointed me. 

I'm sure he'll turn out to be a great player, he just seemed to lack patience. 

2 hours ago, UHDrive said:

Tavares has such potential that he could reach the top, the very top. I was sceptical about him for a long time when he played in the U23's, not because of his skill but because of his demands behind the scenes and I think that's why the club eventually cashed in on him. 

He's been asked questions over the last year about where he'd want to play if he left our academy and his response was Porto even back then. I'm not sure what happened with the Italian team but I can only assume that we were using them as leverage for the transfer fee. 

If Tavares had've demanded first team football once only during the contract negotiations over the summer (when he did play first team pre season training/games) then I'd have sympathy. But he had been moaning for quite a while which disappointed me. 

I'm sure he'll turn out to be a great player, he just seemed to lack patience. 

Don’t think there was any cashing in. Didn’t he leave on a free?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

Bit ironic that he left for first team football and he literally joins a B team. 

A B team in Portugal is essentially first team football seeming they play in proper leagues. Certainly way more competitive than Premier League 2 or whatever they call it these days. 

• Like 2

Just now, peach0000 said:

A B team in Portugal is essentially first team football seeming they play in proper leagues. Certainly way more competitive than Premier League 2 or whatever they call it these days. 

And far less competitive than the U.K. Championship for example...

Just now, Lesta Legend said:

Yes at a much lower level, a Portuguese B side isn’t some sort of brilliant, exciting, highly technical option your making out to be, it’s very poor!

It's still better than playing in the under 23s and Porto have a strong track record of bringing players through that system. I think personally it's a pretty smart move for Tavares to take. 

• Like 3