Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

Looking at our remaining games... Realistically we COULD and maybe SHOULD be winning 7 of the 9. 

...We won't because that's too straight forward for us. It's not our M.O but the games we have left are there to win. 

• Haha 1

I keep seeing people go on at Arteta, about not doing business in January....But I think that was absolutely the right call. No point bringing in someone for 6 months, on a 3/4 year contract, that you can't shift at the end of the season.

Arsenal can't compete financially with Man City/Man United etc, so you're only going to bridge the gap by continuous improvement during the summer windows. 

The key to a title challenge, as we showed and Liverpool too to an extent, is good recruitment, rather than expensive recruitment. 

18 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Infuriating that we're having our shit year this year. If we were playing as well this year as we have at our best under Rodgers, this would probably be a better opportunity than both 19/20 and 20/21.

I thought this but we got 62 points in 2019/20 and 66 in 2020/21. I still think both totals will be beaten by 4th.

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

I'd rather ManUtd or Spurs than Arsenal. I dislike Arsenal and their fans the most out of the 3.

Pretty irrational on my part and it's ironic given Chelsea is notoriously one of the absolute wealthiest parts of London, but Arsenal fans have always epitomised middle-class London elitism and snobbery and London looking down its nose at the rest of the country more than any other club for me. Much moreso than Chelsea or Spurs fans from personal experience.

I don’t know about that I rate spuds fans high on the list of most dispicably foul mouthed big heads and after seeing the Chelski lot at the KP in November they are just as bad. Arses I don’t have as big an issue.I don’t want any of them in the top but we can only control the games we have in hand. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, KFS said:

Burnley fan on 606 saying she wants to see a statue of Dyche outside the ground lol 

Will it be ready of him squatting on the throne in the Burnley Boardroom  squeezing one large log out reading the Daily Fail?

21 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

He probably is their best ever manager tbh

Unless their board changes it's mind on how they fund the first team they'll be another Charlton or Portsmouth. 5 years of TV money + sales of players like Ings, Wood, Keane, Trippier etc vanished into their coffers (and it's not like they spent it on their rusting old stadium either) . Dyche would have brought them straight back up but unless they get someone like Chris Wilder, that's never going to happen with so much rebuilding needed.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Sampson said:

Agreed, as funny as it is to see ManUtd a shambles, it's definitely the best outcome for us as a club. 

We are much closer financially to Spurs and Arsenal, who are well behind being able to compete financially with ManCity, Liverpool, Chelsea and ManUtd these days and if we want to close the gap to the top 6 again, then it's best for us that Spurs and Arsenal don't get the CL windfall and are able to attract players who want to play in the CL.

And much as it goes against the grain to voice it, it would be better for us if W Ham prosper this season rather than Arsenal or Spurs?

4 hours ago, Scotch said:

Looking at our remaining games... Realistically we COULD and maybe SHOULD be winning 7 of the 9. 

...We won't because that's too straight forward for us. It's not our M.O but the games we have left are there to win. 

Well, it's not as if we haven't done that before.

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Infuriating that we're having our shit year this year. If we were playing as well this year as we have at our best under Rodgers, this would probably be a better opportunity than both 19/20 and 20/21.

Ironically it shows that even those so called big clubs with huge budgets and expectations can buckle under pressure and struggle to be consistent for the whole season. If the likes of Vardy, Fofana, Evans had been available for most of the season, and if we had not been hideously bad at defending in certain games (villa away, spurs home) and grabbed just a few more points, then 4th would be in our reach still, and we could have done the opposite of our last two seasons and pipped them to the post.

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

I never used to be a fan of Dyche when we were in direct competition with Burnley in terms of league position, but after watching and admiring from afar since, I really hope he goes on to do well elsewhere in the Premier League. 

Never evolved though. You can only go on surviving against the odds for so long. Knowing when the likes of Ashley Barnes, Vydra and Matt Lowton are not going to cut it anymore and freshening the squad was never really done. Burnley are a Swansea or Bournemouth or even Wigan, survived well, played a nice part in the prems history, but it was never going to last.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

He probably is their best ever manager tbh

He's probably not in their top 5 best ever managers tbh. Up until they went bankrupt and dropped down the leagues in the late 1970s, Burnley were one of those great historic top tier Lancashire clubs like Preston and Blackpool.

They were a regular top 6-7 side in the country throughout the mid 50s-late 60s including a few top 3 finishes and a league title in that time. They've won 2 league titles and an FA Cup and had plenty of top 3-4 finishes in the top flight and FA Cup runs.

Harry Potts is definitely their greatest ever.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Pogba must be one of the most over-rated European players at present.

He should've left a while ago.

Literally stealing a living.

Why would he leave ??

He won't get another contract like the one Man U gave him.   He looks brilliant when he plays for France but shite at Man U because managers play him out of position.