Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

14 minutes ago, Sampson said:

He's probably not in their top 5 best ever managers tbh. Up until they went bankrupt and dropped down the leagues in the  late1970s, Burnley were one of those great historic top tier Lancashire clubs with Preston and Blackpool.

They were a regular top 6-7 side in the country throughout the mid 50s-late 60s including a few top 3 finishes and a league title in that time. They've won 2 league titles and an FA Cup and had plenty of top 3-4 finishes in the top flight and FA Cup runs.

Harry Potts is definitely their greatest ever.

Football has only existed since 93

5 hours ago, Weller Wing said:

Arsenal fans that I know have been getting extremely gobby lately. 

A bit Spursish if you like😄

I honestly don't know who I'd want to get 4th as they're all w##kers 😄😄

Its true, I think Man U are my most hated, followed by Spurs, then Arsenal and West ham last, but I do despise West ham as well. The best outcome would be that 4th place doesn't get champions league this year 🤣

On 15/04/2022 at 14:55, StanSP said:

I know Klopp was having a go at the congestion his side faces but I had no idea he has actually requested their game against Newcastle be moved?! They play them at Saturday 12.30pm on 30th April, a few days after their semi final 1st leg on Wednesday 27th.

Why does he get any preferential treatment there? Why does he think he's more important than any other club in similar situations? Notably us and West Ham who play on the Tuesday then play on the Sunday. 

I'd be livid if the PL/FA caved into his demands just because its him and Liverpool. They set a dangerous precedent if they do move it. 

There won't be any precedent set as it's Liverpool, who generally get special treatment in football anyway, but I agree it's a farce.

2 hours ago, iancognito said:

Unless their board changes it's mind on how they fund the first team they'll be another Charlton or Portsmouth. 5 years of TV money + sales of players like Ings, Wood, Keane, Trippier etc vanished into their coffers (and it's not like they spent it on their rusting old stadium either) . Dyche would have brought them straight back up but unless they get someone like Chris Wilder, that's never going to happen with so much rebuilding needed.

I think what someone (Ric Flair?) said a few pages back that this has been the best thing that could've happened to Sean Dyche and he's the winner from this as it's kept his reputation in tact and I think I agree with him when I see posts like this saying "Dyche would have brought them straight back up".

Burnley have been absolutely rotten since January last year - playing awful football, not scoring, creating anything, setting up not to lose against Norwich and Watford and clearly gone backwards from the standards they'd set in previous seasons. Players like Tarkowski, Mee, Pope and Chris Wood before his move look like shadows of the players they were 18 months ago and to me it looked pretty clear it had gotten very, very stale there and Dyche was unable to motivate the players to the same extent.

People seem to have this vision that the current Burnley side are the same blood and thunder, in your face, always-switched-on Burnley of 2 years ago when they haven't been that since halfway through last season - they've been limp and easy to play against - our 2-0 win against them was probably the limpest performance I've seen from an opponent this season - they just created nothing and looked like they weren't there mentally or didn't want to win the 50:50s.

Yet people will still say things like "he still had a great chance to keep them up" "whoever they get in, they would've done better under Dyche" "Dyche would've brought them straight back up". When in truth, their performances from the last 18 months indicate they most likely would've gone down with a whimper like Norwich and Watford are doing and that it would've been difficult to motivate themselves for another promotion campaign. 

Yet now he's gone they'll always be the question that Dyche could've kept them up or he would've got them back up no problem, when their levels of performances over the past 18 months or so haven't really shown that. 

I think this sacking has kept Dyche's reputation in tact from what would've been much more likely relegation with a whimper and a struggle to get them going in the Championship again next season. Dyche's future career prospects are definitely the winner in all this.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

Why would he leave ??

Most likely because he's out of contract ... :rolleyes:

Though there are reports in the rags Man U will offer him a one year extension on £500K per week.

Probably total BS.  But how sweet would it be to see them destroy their already insane salary structure by offering that much to a guy who treats their club worse than Mahrez treated us?

8 hours ago, KingsX said:

Most likely because he's out of contract ... :rolleyes:

Though there are reports in the rags Man U will offer him a one year extension on £500K per week.

Probably total BS.  But how sweet would it be to see them destroy their already insane salary structure by offering that much to a guy who treats their club worse than Mahrez treated us?

Would you swap him for Tielemans? Given his huge salary I wouldn't, but he is a class player when he's motivated.

4 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Arteta claims if arsenal had world class players they'd be challenging for trophies. In other news water tends to be wet and if my gran had balls she'd be my grandad. 

Sorry to be a pedant, but water is not wet.

28 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

If Chelsea beat Palace today 7th Place is definitely a European place, there's still a lot to play for in the league 

So if we win today, I need to support Chelski in the cup...uuck :unsure:

23 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Yeah think then its top 4 plus Hammers in CL, 5th and 6th in EL. Unless we win the ECL then its 5th and us in EL.

There was an article in the Athletic but you have to register to read it.

https://theathletic.com/3252081/2022/04/15/explained-the-premier-leagues-european-places-if-west-ham-and-leicester-win-europa-league-and-conference-league/

This is another:- hope it's not too confusing.

https://www.givemesport.com/87995847-premier-league-how-nine-clubs-could-be-in-europe-next-season

18 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

It’s a race between the 3 turds of the league… exciting stuff 

Man utd are way more in the race than West Ham, West ham still have to play Chelsea Away, Arsenal at Home, Man city at home and Brighton away on the last day of the season may not be easy, they are 3 points behind united, an have a Europa league Semi final as a distraction, I know we have are own European semi final to content with but our fixtures look a bit kinder, I think there's more chance of us catching West Ham than them finishing 4th, even though that's a longish chance.

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

If water isn't wet, what is it? 

Things that get water on them.

From Google

Liquid water is not itself wet, but can make other solid materials wet. Wetness is the ability of a liquid to adhere to the surface of a solid, so when we say that something is wet, we mean that the liquid is sticking to the surface of a material.

• Like 1