Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

Here’s a question, and I don’t have the answer to it…when was the last time that both Man U and Liverpool genuinely competed for a league title against each other? They seem to be like ying and Yang - 90s Man U dominated and Liverpool dropped from their 80s perch while Man U rebuilt 

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

As happy as I am to see yanited getting hammered, this result is not good for the following reasons 

a. Liverpool are closer to a quadruple 

b)  man u’s demise makes spurs or arsenal more likely to make top 4 (which helps their recruitment) 

Thats the only reason I want Man U to get top 4. They will always attract top players even if they finish outside the champions league spots whereas the others 4 teams challenging for the top 4 will only attract the same players with the promise of champions league football. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Here’s a question, and I don’t have the answer to it…when was the last time that both Man U and Liverpool genuinely competed for a league title against each other? They seem to be like ying and Yang - 90s Man U dominated and Liverpool dropped from their 80s perch while Man U rebuilt 

2008/09

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Briefly in 2009 but dont think it went to the wire. Liverpool had a decent lead at the start of the season from what I recall.

• Like 1

I don't like Liverpools players or coach for their antics as footballers (not as people i don't know them) i find them annoying, but they play some relentless stuff. Aestheticially it's much more beautiful than peps stuff and at least it's more organic. Can't stand pep. He's the most disingenuous coach there is. False praise is worse than bitterness 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

That season Rafa Benitez lost the plot and SAF won the mind games. 

25 minutes ago, hejammy said:

How we did not beat that pile of manure I have no idea! Still riles me up now. They are shockingly bad. 

We’ve been really poor. People want to make excuses for Rodgers but he can’t have another season like this.

9 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Tricky really.

Man United being awful is so wholesome, but I’m sick of hearing about them too.

8 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I'm sick of the post mortem everytime United lose a game of football. They're shite! Not much else to say 

Personally love every second of it. Something about seeing Gary Neville and Keane almost in tears about sky sports’ precious Man United not winning like ‘they should be’ anymore is actually immensely satisfying. 

Just a shame it aided Liverpool tonight. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Interesting that isn’t it. One season in living memory they’ve been rivals for a title 

Not quite. Since the Second World War there have been 5 seasons in which Liverpool and Manchester United finished in the top 2 positions.

1946/47, 1963/63, 1979/80, 1987/88 and 2008/09. Liverpool were the champions in all but the last season. But it is strange that over 76 years there have only been 5 seasons like that and only in 46/47 did it really go down to the last couple of games. Looking back at old league tables does remind one of how much more open football was in the 50s, 60s and 70s. In the the 1959/60 season for example the top 6 looked like this

1 Burnley

2 Wolves

3 Spurs

4 WBA

5 Sheff Wed

6 Bolton

Makes you wonder why it took us so long to win the title.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ceredigion said:

Not quite. Since the Second World War there have been 5 seasons in which Liverpool and Manchester United finished in the top 2 positions.

1946/47, 1963/63, 1979/80, 1987/88 and 2008/09. Liverpool were the champions in all but the last season. But it is strange that over 76 years there have only been 5 seasons like that and only in 46/47 did it really go down to the last couple of games. Looking back at old league tables does remind one of how much more open football was in the 50s, 60s and 70s. In the the 1959/60 season for example the top 6 looked like this

1 Burnley

2 Wolves

3 Spurs

4 WBA

5 Sheff Wed

6 Bolton

Makes you wonder why it took us so long to win the title.

A PL title is worth far more than back in the day… I expect this to be beaten down, but the facts are honest. It is like comparing Joe Davis with Stephen Hendry… it is why I don’t ever compare eras… even in boxing 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

6 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

I'm sick of the post mortem everytime United lose a game of football. They're shite! Not much else to say 

But Darren from Basingstoke - he's a United fan because his uncle is from there/his dad supported them/his grandad took him to his first match there/insert any other glory hunting excuse - demands this kind of content. 

The sports channels simply must cowtow to the whim of the 'real' fans. 

• Like 1