Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

Guest Chocolate Teapot

United lose a game and everything is am inquest into them. They're shit, it's really boring. They're only relevant because the media continue to make them so.

33 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

What strikes me is that I expected the squad to take a morale hit when Rangnick went in and I'm a bit baffled why the media think it's surprising. The whole point of Rangnick is he's a high profile Nigel Pearson, he's going in there tasked with identifying their dead wood, the egos, the prima donnas and getting them out of the club. You don't do that without ruffling feathers. 

What surprises me is some of the feathers he has ruffled. I'd have thought the likes of Fernandes and Rashford would have loved him going in there to try and make the squad more hard working and professional. 

And if that's not what United wanted from him then I don't know exactly why they hired a famous builder who's more comfortable back office than in the manager's chair. 

In theory, Rangnick in charge of recruitment and Ten Hag in charge of coaching is one of the most formidable partnerships in the world and we should be terrified. But United, at a corporate level, need to be ready to commit to the culture change of hiring on footballing merit and not commercially. Otherwise they're just wasting talent. 

Ultimately if Man Utd don’t back those two then they will be back at square one. It will be very interesting to see how they do in the transfer window. I’m not sure if the corporate board are ready for such a culture change even though it’s so desperately needed. Fingers crossed anyway!

2 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

They're only relevant because the media continue to make them so.

Yeah just that and them being one of the biggest sporting institutions in the history of the planet with a global fan base that would make them the third biggest sovereign state by population in the world. 

12 hours ago, BoyJones said:

She’s ok, but very average IMO. There’s only one reason she got the job. 

Nonsense.  The more i watch sports channels the more i hope its a women pundit.  I watched the atletico madrid v man city game and it was so much better than the usual lot, no silly banter, no rehearsed little puns, no big 6 bias.

• Like 2

Whilst in the main being extremely competent, I do find some female pundits tending to be overly biased towards their own chosen teams.  Arsene Woods and Natalie Sawyer being classic examples on TalkSPORT. 

1 minute ago, mozartfox said:

Whilst in the main being extremely competent, I do find some female pundits tending to be overly biased towards their own chosen teams.  Arsene Woods and Natalie Sawyer being classic examples on TalkSPORT. 

I'm not sure that's any different to the blokes, they're just tolerated more because they used to play. 

The most famous football presenter in the country literally introduced one of the world's most watched football highlight shows in his pants because we won the league. 

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
28 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah just that and them being one of the biggest sporting institutions in the history of the planet with a global fan base that would make them the third biggest sovereign state by population in the world. 

Yeah and they're all diehard fans who bleed black and red aren't they....

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

Guest Chocolate Teapot
9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

They don't have to be. They have to have wallets. 

I'd actually say a lot of international fans that would be labelled as "plastic" on here probably put more revenue in to their clubs through merchandise and the like than most "die hards." 

I mean, even on here, how many of UFS wouldn't be seen dead in a replica shirt or official club merch? 

Then of course there's the mountains of fans, however "plastic" absorbing hours and hours of content digitally and through conventional broadcast or swarming on social media sharing posts and comments. 

Sky, BT, talkSPORT, the tabloids, fan sites, YouTube channels, these mediums don't pander to United and their supporters because they like them more than any other club - they do it because they've got an estimated 1.1 BILLION fans worldwide and there's a shit load of money to be made from them. 

Look, United could go decades without on field success but they'll be "relevant" for the foreseeable future, you'd have to be nuts to deny that. 

Yes there's money to be made of course I'm not naive to that. I'm also not naive to how many fans they have that work in the media or work for the companies that sponsor them. Its a massive self fulfilling beast.

A shit team lost a game to a very good team, yet all the chat is about man utd - it's nonsense.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

1 minute ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Yes there's money to be made of course I'm not naive to that. I'm also not naive to how many fans they have that work or in the media or work for the companies that sponsor them. Its a massive self fulfilling beast.

A shit team lost a game to a very good team, yet all the chat is about man utd - it's nonsense.

This 👌

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

I don't fundamentally disagree with you in spirit but it's just another symptom of football becoming a product more than a sport and I don't really know how we do anything about it at this point. 

Agree. It's just shit isn't it. Less and less is about the actual 90 mins.

2 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Agree. It's just shit isn't it. Less and less is about the actual 90 mins.

I'm reminded of that Clough interview with Motson where he chastises Motty for the amount of football that the public have thrown at them on the TV and in the papers etc. 

Funnily enough I used to think he was dead wrong as a fan growing up and he was definitely out of touch with the average fan at the time he said it. 

But it's massively relevant today tbf. We've gone way past saturation. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'm reminded of that Clough interview with Motson where he chastises Motty for the amount of football that the public have thrown at them on the TV and in the papers etc. 

Funnily enough I used to think he was dead wrong as a fan growing up and he was definitely out of touch with the average fan at the time he said it. 

But it's massively relevant today tbf. We've gone way past saturation. 

I'm not even arsed about the game tonight. Bar Europe I'd rather we just ended the season now - we've had way too many games this season.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
4 hours ago, MattFox said:

Something really dislikeable about Maguire and the rest of his family for that matter

He was backed by his captain when he was booed playing for England, as soon as it happens to pogba he does nothing. He's a plank.

On United - they can only sustain commercial viability with on-field success. If they continue to be irrelevant and finish 6th, 7th, 8th and miss out on trophies, they run the risk of tarnishing their brand.

I didn't see the game last night as I have no investment in it but I heard Neville's comments that they're a business which is failing in its core operation. 

In the 90s and 00s, people supported them because they won a lot, had exciting players and played great football. They've only got one of those things now. 

5 hours ago, MattFox said:

Something really dislikeable about Maguire and the rest of his family for that matter

F we’re conceding too many goals I’m going to get criticised ..    

Noooooooo !!!! ….  :o …. get out of here !!!

13 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

On United - they can only sustain commercial viability with on-field success. If they continue to be irrelevant and finish 6th, 7th, 8th and miss out on trophies, they run the risk of tarnishing their brand.

I didn't see the game last night as I have no investment in it but I heard Neville's comments that they're a business which is failing in its core operation. 

In the 90s and 00s, people supported them because they won a lot, had exciting players and played great football. They've only got one of those things now. 

I think that first part is partially a myth that we tell ourselves to convince each other that it won't last forever. 

Liverpool were shit for a generation and it didn't really curb their supporter base significantly. 

5 hours ago, MattFox said:

i actually thought he was likeable when he was with us. But the moment he complained about not getting decisions, in the season they broke the penalties record, i realized just how delusional he is. 

He’s got such a victims mentality. happy to say we weren’t good enough not i wasn’t! 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

i actually thought he was likeable when he was with us. But the moment he complained about not getting decisions, in the season they broke the penalties record, i realized just how delusional he is. 

He’s got such a victims mentality. happy to say we weren’t good enough not i wasn’t! 

Big clubs change players 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Here’s a question, and I don’t have the answer to it…when was the last time that both Man U and Liverpool genuinely competed for a league title against each other? They seem to be like ying and Yang - 90s Man U dominated and Liverpool dropped from their 80s perch while Man U rebuilt 

This is where it falls down as a rivalry for me. They're never actually in any direct competition with each other. I don't think they've met in a final in 20 years either.