Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

I remember football in the 90s and 2000s. It was decent. But it's far better now. Ryan Giggs is considered a PL legend but he only got into double figures in league goals twice in his 20+ years of playing. I understand it was 442, playing as pure wingers. In straight lines and spamming crosses into the box, but nowadays if you score 4 league goals a season for a top 4 club you'd be bullied out of the club by supporters and the manager himself. We're watching a different sport to the one we grew up with. 

Edited by Koke
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, KingsX said:

I'll be thrilled to see Man City just edge Liverpool out for the title (which I think they will) because every last odious Scouser will fixate until his last breath on our 1-0 win as being what cost them the title.

Every time you see one, be sure to remind him we won on two days of rest with our only shot on target  :)

I want Man City to win the title even more now, just for this. Brilliant 👏 😁

3 hours ago, Koke said:

Back in the day it was also a two horse race. From 1996 to 2005 the title was won by either Man Utd or Arsenal. And from 2005 to 2012 by Man Utd or Chelsea. 

The quality of football is a lot better now so I enjoy it. Klopp and Pep has taken it to another level. You can get 90+ points and not win the league, which is insane. By comparison Man Utd once won the league with 75 points. 

That to me is what makes it worse now, we know Man City and Liverpool rarely slip up. It was great when Man Utd might get a draw away at WBA then Aresnal might lose at Stoke.

The gap between those two and the rest takes any enjoyment out of the game at the top.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I do feel like it's slightly forced now (largely helped by refs like that Mane one earlier) and rather than twists and turns, this is just two teams who are so much better than everyone else winning every game. They're genuinely boringly good. They could both win 10 in a row and nobody would bat an eyelid.

They're both excellent sides but it's less twists and turns and more "will either deviate from their flawlessness" and the likelihood is probably not.

Man City to win the league with 95 and Liverpool runners up with 94. I'd be surprised if anything else is the outcome.

i don’t think it’s that cut and dry… you forget we beat liverpool with ndidi at cb and man city drew with palace recently. The odd bumps still happen… just as often as they did with man u and arsenal back in the day. I mean Arsenal did go a season unbeaten. 

9 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

i don’t think it’s that cut and dry… you forget we beat liverpool with ndidi at cb and man city drew with palace recently. The odd bumps still happen… just as often as they did with man u and arsenal back in the day. I mean Arsenal did go a season unbeaten. 

It's definitely nowhere near as often. Coming 2nd with 94 would've seemed impossible once upon a time.

Arsenal's invincibles points tally would finish 3rd this season.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

I agree the football is better now, I just don’t find it as enjoyable. But that’s probably because I’m 41 and it’s hard to idolise people younger than you. Also, just because something is technically more proficient doesn’t necessarily mean it’s more fun. I’m fully aware that there are classically trained guitarists out there that can do amazing things but I’d sooner listen to Lou Reed playing a 2 chord song with feeling. I think maybe that’s my problem. It’s too polished now. Too good. I like a few rough edges and mistakes. Some of the joy seems to have been taken out. But then also I’m aware I’m an old fart. And I hate it when people think things were “better in their day” because invariably they really weren’t. My current apathy towards the modern game probably says more about me than the game itself. X 

I’m in the same boat mate. Used to love football through and through and could probably name each PL sides starting 11, each sides manager, keep track on who’s playing well and who isn’t. Nowadays I could just give you our squad and that’s it. 

Even my enjoyment/love for watching leicester has waned massively over the last 5 years 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

It's definitely nowhere near as often. Coming 2nd with 94 would've seemed impossible once upon a time.

Arsenal's invincibles points tally would finish 3rd this season.

Good stat that is 

I don’t think a high points tally necessarily means the standard of football has improved though. It points more to the disparity between Man City and Liverpool to the rest of us more than saying the footballs better 

Controversial opinion, but the Arsenal invincibles team is one of the most over rated teams in the history of English football. It was a decent team no question, but they didn’t win anything else that season and were crap in Europe - not sure they even got passed the first knockout stage.

In the league they were deserving champions but drew somewhere between 10-15 games, can’t remember exactly, including at the KP against a crap Leicester side, we were also ahead in the away game at half time, Van Nistlerooy missed a penalty in the last minute or they would have lost to Man Utd and had a couple of other late equalisers. 
A good team yes, deserved champions that season, yes, one of the best team the PL has seen - no not even close.

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
9 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

I agree the football is better now, I just don’t find it as enjoyable. But that’s probably because I’m 41 and it’s hard to idolise people younger than you. Also, just because something is technically more proficient doesn’t necessarily mean it’s more fun. I’m fully aware that there are classically trained guitarists out there that can do amazing things but I’d sooner listen to Lou Reed playing a 2 chord song with feeling. I think maybe that’s my problem. It’s too polished now. Too good. I like a few rough edges and mistakes. Some of the joy seems to have been taken out. But then also I’m aware I’m an old fart. And I hate it when people think things were “better in their day” because invariably they really weren’t. My current apathy towards the modern game probably says more about me than the game itself. X 

I agree with you. Premier league games have all become tactical chess matches (it's not just us either). The quality and standard is so high but I watch highlights from the early 90s and 00s and see the spontaneity of taking pots shots or punting it into the box and sort of miss it.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

33 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I agree with you. Premier league games have all become tactical chess matches (it's not just us either). The quality and standard is so high but I watch highlights from the early 90s and 00s and see the spontaneity of taking pots shots or punting it into the box and sort of miss it.

You see less of the individual genius on a regular basis nowadays too because of it. Pundits are quick to circlejerk over the likes of Zaha doing a few stepovers because it's simply not the norm. Salah is the only one in this league pulling defense-splitting individual goals out of his arse on a regular basis. He's the only striker in this league I have to admit is 'world class' in the sense that he makes magic happen consistently, and raises the level of those around him. 

In the 90s alone you had Bergkamp, Cantona, even Shearer and Henry on occasion bagging unconventional worldies what seemed like every other week. Technically the game is far better than it was, but it leaves way less room for individuals to shine and footballers as a whole have started to all blend together into a bland, personality-devoid collection of consumate professionals. That's why when a street fighter like Vardy comes along and breaks the mould, it resonates with the neutrals so much.

• Like 2

Guess it’s all subjective but i imagine in 20/30 years time 40 and 50 year olds at that point will talk about this period with affection, not just because of Man City & Liverpool but of course our contribution as well. 

My dad will go on about the 50 and 60s , I will go on about the 90s (not just football either!) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Controversial opinion, but the Arsenal invincibles team is one of the most over rated teams in the history of English football. It was a decent team no question, but they didn’t win anything else that season and were crap in Europe - not sure they even got passed the first knockout stage.

In the league they were deserving champions but drew somewhere between 10-15 games, can’t remember exactly, including at the KP against a crap Leicester side, we were also ahead in the away game at half time, Van Nistlerooy missed a penalty in the last minute or they would have lost to Man Utd and had a couple of other late equalisers. 
A good team yes, deserved champions that season, yes, one of the best team the PL has seen - no not even close.

The Chelsea side that won it the next season with more points and 1 defeat were much better than them.

As you say, van Nistlerooy scores that penalty and no one remembers that Arsenal side. They were a very good side don’t get me wrong, but not a top 5 all-time PL side.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, whetstonefox said:

Guess it’s all subjective but i imagine in 20/30 years time 40 and 50 year olds at that point will talk about this period with affection, not just because of Man City & Liverpool but of course our contribution as well. 

My dad will go on about the 50 and 60s , I will go on about the 90s (not just football either!) 

It’s just nostalgia. Football is often the most important thing in your life growing up and you idolise players older than you.

Then when you reach your mid-20s or so you realise Football isn’t that important in the grand scheme or things. Probably around that time you often have lost a grandparent in conscious memory or other close family or friend and the first death of someone close to you is always a bit of a wake up call I think. And you realise friends and family are way more important. So you start missing games to instead spend time with them.

Also begins to feel weird idolising 18 or 19 or early 20 year olds when you get to that age.

It always means so much more growing up. Happens to us all. It’s the reason people still weirdly compare players of today to the Bloomfield and MON days as if Bloomfield and MON teams were challenging for titles and full of quality players rather than being mid table sides who went on lengthy terrible runs every season and our current season which has been a bit disappointing would be considered brilliant for both those sides and we’d be talking about players like Lookman and Amartey for decades to come.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Which services?  Because the manager said he was going home on the train.  :unsure:

Northampton. Tarkowski bought an industrial strength coke and a bag of Tangfastics lol

Edited by jonthefox
Can't spell

18 hours ago, jamfox said:

Leeds have been entertaining since they've been back in the premier League and I think they've made some friends for that, but still yes I'd much rather Leeds went down than Everton

Leeds have NEVER had any " friends" and are never likely too either. Dirty cheating scum. The millwall of the north.

Edited by PAPA LAZAROU
  • Like 1