Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

59 minutes ago, Sampson said:

It’s just nostalgia. Football is often the most important thing in your life growing up and you idolise players older than you.

Then when you reach your mid-20s or so you realise Football isn’t that important in the grand scheme or things. Probably around that time you often have lost a grandparent in conscious memory or other close family or friend and the first death of someone close to you is always a bit of a wake up call I think. And you realise friends and family are way more important. So you start missing games to instead spend time with them.

Also begins to feel weird idolising 18 or 19 or early 20 year olds when you get to that age.

It always means so much more growing up. Happens to us all. It’s the reason people still weirdly compare players of today to the Bloomfield and MON days as if Bloomfield and MON teams were challenging for titles and full of quality players rather than being mid table sides who went on lengthy terrible runs every season and our current season which has been a bit disappointing would be considered brilliant for both those sides and we’d be talking about players like Lookman and Amartey for decades to come.

This is massively true also

11 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

I agree the football is better now, I just don’t find it as enjoyable. But that’s probably because I’m 41 and it’s hard to idolise people younger than you. Also, just because something is technically more proficient doesn’t necessarily mean it’s more fun. I’m fully aware that there are classically trained guitarists out there that can do amazing things but I’d sooner listen to Lou Reed playing a 2 chord song with feeling. I think maybe that’s my problem. It’s too polished now. Too good. I like a few rough edges and mistakes. Some of the joy seems to have been taken out. But then also I’m aware I’m an old fart. And I hate it when people think things were “better in their day” because invariably they really weren’t. My current apathy towards the modern game probably says more about me than the game itself. X 

I was watching some euro 96 highlights the other day. The winning team were rushing to get the ball back into play every time it went out. Can you imagine that now, outside of the top 2? I swear we get about 90 seconds less of football per game each season. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PAPA LAZAROU said:

Leeds have NEVER had any " friends" and are never likely too either. Dirty cheating scum.

Ant that's why I said I'd rather they went down then a pi£s poor boring Everton, 

But they have played exciting attacking football , and you'll find pundits giving them accolades for that.

• Haha 1