Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Tbh we're getting to a weird point with Watford where it's almost risk free as a manager. He's got nothing to lose because even if he gets sacked, it'll be viewed sympathetically by the rest of football. 

exactly this. 

most of the comments are saying can he make the step up from league 2… which means he would have had a very long journey to make it to a club in the prem. 

If he succeeds he’s a prem manager in a year. If he starts to fail he will be sacked before he is even close to tarnishing his reputation and probably end up with a lower championship team hiring him after. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, whetstonefox said:

It looks a poor show from Watford as I can’t imagine FGR would have stopped him going to them anyway.

It’s pathetic from them. He’s out of contract in a couple of weeks lol

If they’d wanted to tie him down then why didn’t they?

All he’s done is secure another job for when his contract with FGR ends. 

12 minutes ago, Craig said:

It’s pathetic from them. He’s out of contract in a couple of weeks lol

If they’d wanted to tie him down then why didn’t they?

All he’s done is secure another job for when his contract with FGR ends. 

I didn’t realise his contract was up, assumed he’d have 1 or 2 years left , if that’s the case hard to have too much sympathy.

6 minutes ago, whetstonefox said:

I didn’t realise his contract was up, assumed he’d have 1 or 2 years left , if that’s the case hard to have too much sympathy.

would you have felt the same if pearson had left after we got promoted? pretty sure we were in the same situation but him and the club said let’s focus on that new contract after the football is done… there are still gentleman’s agreements in life 

5 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

But they're in a much worse position than us.. and that's how they're reacting.. so how does that make any sense? 

Come on mate, you know exactly what he means. Everton fans have flicked the switch now it has become clear that they are under serious threat of being relegated and are doing everything within their power to make sure that it doesn't happen. The same thing happened with Newcastle during our Great Escape season. They were protesting every week until the last two weeks of the season when they realised they could actually go down and then all of a sudden the stadium was full and rocking again. 

If we were in Everton's position, we would probably go through the same mentality shift. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

But they're in a much worse position than us.. and that's how they're reacting.. so how does that make any sense? 

They're in survival mode at the minute. You look at games from the previous seasons when they've been ambling around lower-mid table. The atmosphere has been toxic.

• Like 1

Just now, BenTheFox said:

Come on mate, you know exactly what he means. Everton fans have flicked the switch now it has become clear that they are under serious threat of being relegated and are doing everything within their power to make sure that it doesn't happen. The same thing happened with Newcastle during our Great Escape season. They were protesting every week until the last two weeks of the season when they realised they could actually go down and then all of a sudden the stadium was full and rocking again. 

If we were in Everton's position, we would probably go through the same mentality shift. 

We did in 14/15. Adversity fosters a strong team spirit.

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

We did in 14/15. Adversity fosters a strong team spirit.

I get where you're coming from, but ours was slightly different. We suddenly got a bit of belief after the huge result against West Ham and West Brom. 

Edited by BenTheFox
  • Like 2

FGR’s manager is completely right to move. Even if they sack him, his next job will be at a club like Preston, Birmingham City or Cardiff.

If he stayed there he’d years off a job like that anyway and he’s got a life changing pay out too.

He might even be successful too given he looks a decent coach. They’ve got a reasonable squad plus 40m+ from the sales of Sarr and Dennis.

3 minutes ago, majaco said:

Rob Edwards mist have confidence in his own ability.

I was trying to think of why a manager would go to Watford.

After Ranieri and Hodgson, Harry Redknapp was probably waiting for a call.

It’s a no lose situation for him given Watfords track record in sacking managers 

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

Were you there in the great escape season.

Some of the atmosphere was immense.

When your backs up against the wall you show up for your team.

For apparently  such a massive club like Everton who have done feck all since the days of Andy Gray and are on the brink of relegation and endless seasons of failure and managers this is least I'd expect.

Fed up of hearing how amazing their fans are.

They're just scummy scousers getting p1ssed off with their next door neighbours winning and they are sh1te

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Stadt said:

FGR’s manager is completely right to move. Even if they sack him, his next job will be at a club like Preston, Birmingham City or Cardiff.

If he stayed there he’d years off a job like that anyway and he’s got a life changing pay out too.

He might even be successful too given he looks a decent coach. They’ve got a reasonable squad plus 40m+ from the sales of Sarr and Dennis.

They don’t have any issue in him moving - Dale Vince made it clear he was aware other clubs would come looking. It’s the fact Watford told him to keep the negotiations secret and he went along with it that they are annoyed about, especially as there were rumours leading up to today which gave Rob opportunity to be upfront about it. Seems a mad decision to me. He got promoted a well established side which really should have made it to league one the past two seasons, and when he lost key players wasn’t able to manage the squad meaning their form massively dropped off. 

31 minutes ago, majaco said:

Rob Edwards mist have confidence in his own ability.

I was trying to think of why a manager would go to Watford.

After Ranieri and Hodgson, Harry Redknapp was probably waiting for a call.

Yeah I don’t know why either I can’t imagine he will be getting paid anymore that his FGR salary. 

34 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

It’s a no lose situation for him given Watfords track record in sacking managers 

Its been said the club  want a longer term approach and younger squad etc .

But then if we lose a few early games we all know what will happen !

• Like 1