Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

36 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

I'd argue Gerrard. If a player can do that well for a team at their lowest ebb in decades and still be considered a great, then that edges him.

If KDB was in the current Man United squad and dragging them to cups, then I'd be more tempted to put him in the same league but he's got Silva, Fernandinho, Foden and others around him - all of whom would walk into any first team.

This has always struck me as such a non-argument, “he’s better because he didn’t finish as high in the league”. People make out Liverpool we’re some kind of mid table team rather than one of the top 2-4 teams in the country for virtually Gerrard’s entire time there.

Liverpool had plenty of good players, they should’ve been winning the FA Cup fairly regularly in their position. I mean Aaron Ramsey has played a bigger role in dragging more average teams to FA Cup wins and no one thinks he was a particularly outstanding player in the context of the PL.

The CL win was great but Gerrard far from did it single handedly.

And the only 2 seasons they did challenge for the title, it was largely due to Torres and Suarez being their talismen those seasons rather than Gerrard.

The idea that KDB should be in a worse side to be seen as better is frankly bizarre to me.

The fact that he stands out as clearly the best player and talisman in probably the best PL side ever should be a better indicator than Gerrard scoring 3 or 4 memorable long range shots (and de Bruyne is probably the best I’ve ever seen technique wise at long shots too).

Edited by Sampson

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's fvcking insane to me that people still bang on with this myth that Gerrard single handedly won anything. It's so disrespectful to the rest of his team. 

He wasn't playing for fvcking Boston United, he was playing at one of the biggest clubs in world football, surrounded by international footballers. 

Liverpool during their "lowest ever ebb" got to two Champions League finals in three years and won the thing from 3-0 down against a fantastic Milan side. They might have had a dry spell for league titles but they still clearly weren't shit. 

Yeah absolutely, current players may experience some recency bias but equally former players end up with a nostalgia bias being put on a pedestal regardless of whether or not their achievements have been trumped by progress. Gerrard gets that even more so because he's English and was a huge media darling through his whole career. 

I don't think he single handedly won anything, as some of the players in the side were World Class (Xabi Alonso and Luis Suarez, both different eras, both spring to mind) but I think it's the moments that people remember. Two goals in the 2006 FA Cup final basically won it for them and that's without considering the CL semi final goal.

Good players deliver at big moments and he was a great example of that.

I do think there is nostalgia bias to old players but I also believe there's a bias towards current players because people forget. In 10 years time there will be another midfielders better than KDB and we'll be going through all this again.

10 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Could not disagree more. He gets an assist basically every other game which is basically unheard of for PL midfielders before him.

I think he’s quite clearly well above Lampard and Gerrard.

Nothing to do with recency bias. It’s obvious to me we’ll still be talking about KDB in 30 years time as better than Lampard or Gerrard for me.

Only thing he doesn’t have on them yet is longevity, but can’t see him leaving ManCity and he’s still got another 4 or 5 years left at the top I reckon so I think that will come anyway.

Yeah maybe I’m wrong. Just how I feel off the bat. I’m a touch too romantic about the past, especially with football. 

9 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

As pointed out by one of their fans, green and white isn't new for their away kit

More I see this, the happier I am we avoided Castors. And that's not including the Wolves kits which I've seen. 

Wonder how much uproar we're going to see over the colour resemblance though

30 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

They really need to bin off whoever is making the statues for them

Wonder if its the same sculpture as the Kelpies? The effect works better on giant horses as opposed to people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

The ginger quitter is a flat track bully who never turns up when it matters

You mean aside from the 4, soon to be 5, league titles which they’ve won about 3 or 4 of them with record points tallies?

40 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

_95390528_ronaldobust.jpg

Richie Cunningham from "Happy Days":

Ron Howard would want this young actor to play Richie Cunningham in a Happy  Days reboot

6 minutes ago, J. James said:

This is my favourite Mo Salah the evil tree goblin from LOTR 🤣🤣637fd17016be469984fefdbfb3b037e3_18.jpg.ea295f5152481b599816d3b45d75a29c.jpg

Celebrity classical conductor Sir Simon Rattle:

BBC - Simon Rattle: The 12 composers who made me

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Sampson said:

You mean aside from the 4, soon to be 5, league titles which they’ve won about 3 or 4 of them with record points tallies?

The fact youve reflected on a collective tally rather than pulling out his big performances in big games kinda proves my point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sampson said:

No it doesn't. The point was if you're winning titles and barely losing then the levels are insanely consistent over a season. We've never seen a side with this insane level of consistency throughout an entire season as this ManCity side in the history of English football. Yet he never turns up for the big games? That's crazy when he leads them to so many victories over a season.

I mean the last 2 games were big games in the tail end of the title winning season after Liverpool stumbled and after people were questioning ManCity folding in the CL after de Bruyne was substituted off - and he stepped up and dominated them.

He turns up when the pressure is largely off, if there's any form of jeopardy in the outcome he goes missing, same happened in the both the last two knockouts of the champo games this season. I'm not doubting, but he'll never truly be that elite player till he steps up in the big moment 

He dominated Newcastle and Wolves, two teams if they were further on the beach they'd be six feet under, what are you even on about lol