Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

10 hours ago, Finnegan said:

It's fvcking insane to me that people still bang on with this myth that Gerrard single handedly won anything. It's so disrespectful to the rest of his team. 

He wasn't playing for fvcking Boston United, he was playing at one of the biggest clubs in world football, surrounded by international footballers. 

Liverpool during their "lowest ever ebb" got to two Champions League finals in three years and won the thing from 3-0 down against a fantastic Milan side. They might have had a dry spell for league titles but they still clearly weren't shit. 

Yeah absolutely, current players may experience some recency bias but equally former players end up with a nostalgia bias being put on a pedestal regardless of whether or not their achievements have been trumped by progress. Gerrard gets that even more so because he's English and was a huge media darling through his whole career. 

Dudek single handedly won it for them anyway.

Edited by Strokes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

Ermm… mate you started this argument by quoting me saying De Bruyne was only the 5th best ManCity player of the past 10 or 15 years now. Now you’re saying “it’s only because people remember the current players as the best” and “how do you go about picking the best?”.

What longer period of time does he need? He’s already been their POTY 3 times more than any of those players. He’s played in the PL for 7 years now at the top of his game at a level the likes of Fernandinho and Toure clearly never reached and certainly not for that long.

What are you even talking about? Your argument is so confused it doesn’t even make sense. Unless you’re just trying to say “he has to play games for the sake of playing them”.

In that case why is the PL best ever players not just Gareth Barry and James Milner?

I don’t get what your list of names mean, you can quite clearly rank players. Juninho or Asprilla for example obviously weren’t as good footballers as Henry even if you enjoyed watching them.

Surely you can see that N’Golo Kante is a better PL player than Gareth Barry despite being different midfielders and having nowhere near his longevity?

I started off by saying a quick google of who was the best / greatest / what ever Man C player he does not appear in every single top 5. I'm not a Man City fan & i probably wouldn't have him as my top ever Man City player either, You would & you have also said best ever premiership midfielder due to his numbers, crossing & workrate & i respect that despite disagreeing because despite his numbers he doesn't score enough 57 in 7 seasons (Madddison has 30 in 4) & end of the day its what matters no?
You can put all the sweat crosses you like in but your judged on goals & assists as a CAM, Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes, Fabregas & Silva are just 5 midfielders that better his CAM stats whether anyone thinks they are better players than him is up to the individual.

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

One of the reasons I don't want statues all over the place down on Freeman's Wharf. They lose their meaning and relevance. 

And the players will have to see out their years as model citizens, one or two percieved isms and said statue might come tumbling down.

I suggest the Sheff Utd corner flag for Vardy, just in case

Edited by He aint bald
spelling... again

47 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

I started off by saying a quick google of who was the best / greatest / what ever Man C player he does not appear in every single top 5. I'm not a Man City fan & i probably wouldn't have him as my top ever Man City player either, You would & you have also said best ever premiership midfielder due to his numbers, crossing & workrate & i respect that despite disagreeing because despite his numbers he doesn't score enough 57 in 7 seasons (Madddison has 30 in 4) & end of the day its what matters no?
You can put all the sweat crosses you like in but your judged on goals & assists as a CAM, Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes, Fabregas & Silva are just 5 midfielders that better his CAM stats whether anyone thinks they are better players than him is up to the individual.

Ok so now you’ve changed the goalposts for the 4th time and what matters now is total goals and assists over their entire career? Regardless of games played or context? Which by your own subjective criteria players are “judged” on? Even though De Bruyne holds PL records for most assists and chances created in a season. What happened to us not being able to judge the best?

So you genuinely think Jermaine Defoe is “judged” (by your own subjective criteria) to be a better PL forward than Ruud van Nistlerooy, Gareth Bale, Cristiano Ronaldo and Mo Salah? I mean hey, it’s your opinion on how you want to judge players but it’s obviously a bloody nonsense one.

What happened to you bowing out anyway? Dunno why you keep coming back with these weird conflicting circular arguments.

2 hours ago, J. James said:

I once got offered the outside by a 70 odd year old man in a pub in Salford for saying Colin Bell wasn't all that! — l was about 19, l told the guy i didn't fancy life in jail for killing him!

Well done, feel proud of yourself. Did you ever manage to get to prison? 

• Sad 1

Interesting trying to come up with a greatest PL player ever, so many variables but comparing KDB to Henry for example is impossible due to their different positions, and the era they played in. The greatest though, are the entertainers, the people you pay money to watch every week and love it. To take position our of it, I have tried to come up with an all time Premier League XI.

Schmeichel (Sorry Kasper, I've gone for your dad) 

Neville

Terry

Vidic

Cole

Toure

Gerrard

KDB

Bergkamp

Henry

Aguero

There are many greats; Lampard, Shearer, Vardy, Zola, Cantona, Silva, Ronaldo, Giggs, Beckham, Drogba, Ferdinand, Kompany who could easily have been included and trying to get to get this down to an XI, let alone a 1 was nearly impossible and you could get 100 football fans to do this and they would come up with 100 different 11s. I've seen all of my 11 in the flesh and they are both winners and entertainers. 

2 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Interesting trying to come up with a greatest PL player ever, so many variables but comparing KDB to Henry for example is impossible due to their different positions, and the era they played in. The greatest though, are the entertainers, the people you pay money to watch every week and love it. To take position our of it, I have tried to come up with an all time Premier League XI.

Neville

Terry

Vidic

Cole

Toure

Gerrard

KDB

Bergkamp

Henry

Aguero

There are many greats; Lampard, Shearer, Vardy, Zola, Cantona, Silva, Ronaldo, Giggs, Beckham, Drogba, Ferdinand, Kompany who could easily have been included and trying to get to get this down to an XI, let alone a 1 was nearly impossible and you could get 100 football fans to do this and they would come up with 100 different 11s. I've seen all of my 11 in the flesh and they are both winners and entertainers. 

Once it comes down to the greatest ever it's almost impossible to come up with any kind of consensus but you have got it pretty close for me. Lampard for Toure is the only one I would definitely change. Would be tempted to try and include Shearer and Rooney (Top two scorers in premier league history) and just a personal preference I would swap Schmeichel for Cech potentially. But really hard to argue against that team.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Neville

Terry

Vidic

Cole

Toure

Gerrard

KDB

Bergkamp

Henry

Aguero

3 hours ago, peach0000 said:

Once it comes down to the greatest ever it's almost impossible to come up with any kind of consensus but you have got it pretty close for me. Lampard for Toure is the only one I would definitely change. Would be tempted to try and include Shearer and Rooney (Top two scorers in premier league history) and just a personal preference I would swap Schmeichel for Cech potentially. But really hard to argue against that team.

The differing positions and era's make it so difficult. Bergkamp was a revelation and brilliant. So different to KDB who is also brilliant in a completely different way. 

Therefore the answer to the question is very obviously Vardy :D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Neville

Terry

Vidic

Cole

Toure

Gerrard

KDB

Bergkamp

Henry

Aguero

I would add Roy Keane in the midfield.

31 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

I would add Roy Keane in the midfield.

6 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Sorry but it's not the greatest PL team ever if Patrick Vieira isn't in the midfield.

This kind of proves what I was saying in my last post. There's too many great players who could be in there on merit. Maybe 100 or so no one could dispute if someone was to add. Even players like Suarez and Bale haven't been mentioned. I mean they don't have the longevity but at their peaks few could argue they were among the best. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

This kind of proves what I was saying in my last post. There's too many great players who could be in there on merit. Maybe 100 or so no one could dispute if someone was to add. Even players like Suarez and Bale haven't been mentioned. I mean they don't have the longevity but at their peaks few could argue they were among the best. 

Definitely.

In terms of Suarez he's one of the greatest I've ever seen (didn't he miss the first 5 or 6 games in 13/14 but still ended up scoring 30+ goals lol) but players like that don't stick around in the league for too long as you say.

Just now, Fox92 said:

Definitely.

In terms of Suarez he's one of the greatest I've ever seen (didn't he miss the first 5 or 6 games in 13/14 but still ended up scoring 30+ goals lol) but players like that don't stick around in the league for too long as you say.

Yeah, certainly not back when he did it. The big six was a stepping stone to the 2 or 3 giants in Europe. I do feel like that is starting to change. Salah as well could be part of the question. People love to hate him but a couple of seasons back his goal scoring record was ridiculous. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Sky sports speaking to Liverpool legend (their words) Neil Mellor. Did he play more than 10 games for them? 

Did they really call him a legend ?

Or talking about someone else whilst interviewing him ?