Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Klopp moaning about fixtures again. Not happy he has to play tonight after playing on Saturday! 

What a fvcking diva. 

He should just stop winning games. Wolves have barely had to play for the last few months. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

We've only lost one more game than arsenal 

And scored more goals , we have it In us to do better we are underachieving, hopefully with a fully fit first 11 next season we will be in and among the Top 6.

12 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

You folks do realise that it's all set-up for the Spursiest result of all time on Sunday? Losing to Norwich, while Arsenal squeak the 1-0 win that sends Everton down while leapfrogging them into 4th. :fishing:

Carlsberg springs to mind..

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Klopp moaning about fixtures again. Not happy he has to play tonight after playing on Saturday! 

What a fvcking diva. 

Think Southampton will snatch a win tonight, hopefully.

• Haha 1

I am hoping Liverpool smash them 7-0 tonight.

Final day of the season would be amazing, Liverpool and Man City both going for the title.

Spurs and Arsenal going for the last Champions League spot.

Man Utd and West Ham going for Europa League/conference.

Burnley, Leeds and Everton trying to survive.

Probably only our game with nothing to play for, can’t remember the last final day with so much to play for. 

• Like 3

Cannot see a conte spurs bottling sunday

The old spurs would have gone out there to steamroller Norwich (and anything could happen) but the Italian led spurs will play for a draw and know that they will keep a clean sheet if they are disciplined at the back.  They are bound to score at some point and then the home team will have to commit more men forward and spurs can pick them off on the break. 

12 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

If Arsenal can get this close to the top 4 with this squad, then I'm somehow convincing myself we can next season, as long as we learn to defend set pieces.

Obtaining 7th in this league is really not that hard either.

Agree, the league just isn't really that good anymore. There's the top two, Chelsea a tier behind and then about ten or eleven teams in the next rung down. It makes for anyone can beat anyone but the overall quality is pretty poor now.

9 minutes ago, mancunianfox said:

Agree, the league just isn't really that good anymore. There's the top two, Chelsea a tier behind and then about ten or eleven teams in the next rung down. It makes for anyone can beat anyone but the overall quality is pretty poor now.

I hear people say this but I’m not convinced. Arsenal in the latter Wenger years regularly made the top 4 with much worse sides than their current one. This ManUtd side would probably be finishing 3rd or something 10-15 years ago.

I think it’s more that a lot of mid-table sides have more financial clout to them and the gap between a lower half side or the mid-table and the worse performing of the traditional big clubs has shrunk a lot.

It doesn’t feel anything like a shock when a decent mid-table side like Palace beat ManUtd or Arsenal now, but it still would when ManUtd and Arsenal had really mediocre sides of the Kleberson and Djemba-Djemba or Eboue  and Bendtnar eras

Edited by Sampson

1 minute ago, Sampson said:

I hear people say this but I’m not convinced. Arsenal in the latter Wenger years regularly made the top 4 with much worse sides than their current one. This ManUtd side would probably be finishing 3rd or something 10-15 years ago.

I think it’s more that a lot of mid-table sides have more financial clout to them and the gap between a lower half side or the mid-table and the worse performing of the traditional big clubs has shrunk a lot.

It doesn’t feel anything like a shock when a decent mid-table side like Palace beat ManUtd or Arsenal now, but it still would when ManUtd and Arsenal had really mediocre sides of the Kleberson and Djemba-Djemba or Eboue  and Bendtnar eras

Eh? In those seasons they had Ozil, Sanchez, Cazorla, Giroud etc. Much better than what they have now in my opinion. 

4 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Or are you thinking a couple of years before that?

Maybe I’m thinking before that. I was thinking of those seasons after Van Persie left when they had the likes of Walcott, Bendtner and a past-it Podolski as their main strikers and the likes of Kieron Gibbs and Per Mertesaker as starting defenders with Sczechny (sp?) in goal.

Feel like that side would be finishing around 7th or 8th in the PL right now.

6 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Can't believe someone just suggested the latter arsenal Wenger sides are worse than this one lol

It’s a very popular and often repeated opinion amongst Arsenal fans this season tbf.

Edited by Sampson

12 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Maybe I’m thinking before that. I was thinking of those seasons after Van Persie left when they had the likes of Walcott, Bendtner and a past-it Podolski as their main strikers and the likes of Kieron Gibbs and Per Mertesaker as starting defenders with Sczechny (sp?) in goal.

Feel like that side would be finishing around 7th or 8th in the PL right now.

I think that side won back to back FA cups and had a 3rd place finish. They’re a much worse side now

14 minutes ago, Sampson said:

It’s a very popular and often repeated opinion amongst Arsenal fans this season tbf.

And you don't think that the fact they've been bereft of success the past couple of seasons and they had something to be slightly optimistic and get a little carried with themselves had anything to do with that?

I'm sure if you matched up some of those teams there wouldn't be a lot in it, but this arsenal team doesn't have an RVP, nasri, Sanchez, Ozil .etc. 

You could argue the defence is probably the most improved but even then, they've got no one in that team that'll get them over the line 

10 minutes ago, howie said:

I think that side won back to back FA cups and had a 3rd place finish. They’re a much worse side now

Nah that was a few seasons later.

Like here is their regular line-up for the 2013-14 season for example where they finished 4th, which is probably worse than our or West Ham’s side atm, Cazorla aside. I think this side would finish around 8th in the current league.

Sczechny

Gibbs

Mertesaker

Vermalen

Sagna

Arteta

Wilshere

Cazorla

Walcott

Podolski

Oxlade-Chamberlain

The bench/rotation options included the likes of Carl Jenkinson, Francis Coquelin and Gervinho.

Edited by Sampson