Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

33 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Maybe I’m thinking before that. I was thinking of those seasons after Van Persie left when they had the likes of Walcott, Bendtner and a past-it Podolski as their main strikers and the likes of Kieron Gibbs and Per Mertesaker as starting defenders with Sczechny (sp?) in goal.

Feel like that side would be finishing around 7th or 8th in the PL right now.

Past it Podolski? He was about 30 when he left Arsenal. 

9 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Nah that was a few seasons later.

Like here is their regular line-up for the 2013-14 season for example where they finished 4th, which is probably worse than our or West Ham’s side atm, Cazorla aside. I think this side would finish around 8th in the current league.

Sczechny

Gibbs

Mertesaker

Vermalen

Sagna

Arteta

Wilshere

Cazorla

Walcott

Podolski

Oxlade-Chamberlain

The bench/rotation options included the likes of Carl Jenkinson, Francis Coquelin and Gervinho.

Seems weird you've missed out Ozil, Giroud, Ramsey, Rosicky, Koscielny, Flamini, Monreal. 

Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain started 15 games between them.

Edited by Tommy Fresh

5 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Past it Podolski? He was about 30 when he left Arsenal. 

Seems weird you've missed out Ozil, Giroud, Ramsey, Rosicky, Koscielny, Flamini, Monreal. 

Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain started 15 games between them.

Yeah and he was past it by then. Podolski was always one of those players like Owen and Rooney who infamously started really young and declined really early. He wasn’t great for Arsenal.

That’s because I was looking at 2012-13 side, sorry, I said the wrong season.

Edited by Sampson

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

I disagree. I think current LFC and MCFC are probably the two greatest PL teams ever. The rest of the league is so competitive due to the fact that there really is no poor teams in the league. I think it's a part of why there is a lot of "dull football" (I also don't agree with this, but seems to be a general consensus amongst fans - particularly older ones who have grown up watching mostly direct football or sides that would get murdered playing the way they used to, such as the Dutch teams of the 80s/90s). Football is so tactical and becoming more and more complex as there is less margin for error than there used to be. 

Fair point. I certainly agree with your point about the game changing. Perhaps the teams haven't got worse but maybe it is more that I don't enjoy the game anymore in its current state, outside of cheering us on of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

If Arsenal can get this close to the top 4 with this squad, then I'm somehow convincing myself we can next season, as long as we learn to defend set pieces.

Obtaining 7th in this league is really not that hard either.

Until recently Arsenal had a v good record against mid table and low table teams. They've done well by being v well organised and beating teams they really should be beating. With the squad we have and manager on mega wages, there should be no acceptable reason why we shouldn't be doing that next season and competing for the top 6! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StanSP said:

Klopp moaning about fixtures again. Not happy he has to play tonight after playing on Saturday! 

What a fvcking diva. 

He's becoming a parody of himself

8 hours ago, StanSP said:

Klopp moaning about fixtures again. Not happy he has to play tonight after playing on Saturday! 

What a fvcking diva. 

He would be happy playing Thursday/Sunday but don’t want to play Saturday/Tuesday 

Edited by jammie82uk

Just now, sishades said:

Watching that Ars fan ranting made me realise that supporters of big clubs will never be satisfied with their club no matter what they do. Ars are 5th in the league. 

Ermm... You remember many of our fans ranting about the same thing the past 2 seasons right?

• Like 4

The guy on SSN just said it's been 48 hours since the FA Cup Final finished when previewing Southampton/Liverpool tonight with the reporter at the stadium.

Pretty sure the final was on Saturday lol 

2 hours ago, sishades said:

Watching that Ars fan ranting made me realise that supporters of big clubs will never be satisfied with their club no matter what they do. Ars are 5th in the league. 

Irony overload