Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

Guest Chocolate Teapot
2 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Which is an offensive argument especially when you consider that we were the 5th highest earners. Everything is set up for their benefit and it needs to stop.

Just look at our shirt sales in comparison to others.....its not offensive at all.

27 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Well, I'm barely an adult in terms of age so for most of my life Man City have had those riches and Leicester were League 1/Championship so there wasn't really the two sides crossing paths when I first started getting into football, plus I've always lived outside of Leicester.

For as long as I can remember, when people where I am from say "City", they are 99.9% of the time referring to Manchester City. 

They are. I don't get why people get so hung up about it lol Same people will refer to Manchester United as "United".

Everybody knows United/City is to differentiate the two Manchester clubs. Always been like it for as long as I remember. I don't think there is another two club City that compromises of a United and a City.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Well, I'm barely an adult in terms of age so for most of my life Man City have had those riches and Leicester were League 1/Championship so there wasn't really the two sides crossing paths when I first started getting into football, plus I've always lived outside of Leicester.

For as long as I can remember, when people where I am from say "City", they are 99.9% of the time referring to Manchester City. 

Ask any of the old farts (those over 30) in your area if they referred to the Manchester club simply as 'City' when they were playing in the third tier. I don't remember many, outside of Manchester, using that name when there was probably half a dozen other City's with equal or higher status. 

3 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Ask any of the old farts (those over 30) in your area if they referred to the Manchester club simply as 'City' when they were playing in the third tier. I don't remember many, outside of Manchester, using that name when there was probably half a dozen other City's with equal or higher status. 

Manchester City have always been the bigger City club. They've won more than the rest.

People act as if they'd won fvck all before 2008. They had 2 league titles and 4 FA Cups before they got took over.

Edited by Fox92

7 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

They are. I don't get why people get so hung up about it lol Same people will refer to Manchester United as "United".

Everybody knows United/City is to differentiate the two Manchester clubs. Always been like it for as long as I remember. I don't think there is another two club City that compromises of a United and a City.

Its not always been like that though, maybe its an age thing but even in the 90s it was Man United when they were flying . A lot of us don't see why they should take ownership of United and City when its a big part of loads of other clubs identity .

Its even harder to stomach when you, your family and friends have called LCFC  " City"  and for the benefit of new fans no one has ever referred to City  as " The Foxes " like Stringer and his radio Leicester pals do .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, los dedos said:

Its not always been like that though, maybe its an age thing but even in the 90s it was Man United when they were flying . A lot of us don't see why they should take ownership of United and City when its a big part of loads of other clubs identity .

Its even harder to stomach when you, your family and friends have called LCFC  " City"  and for the benefit of new fans no one has ever referred to City  as " The Foxes " like Stringer and his radio Leicester pals do .

Tbh I live near Sheffield so whenever people say to me they support United, I automatically know they mean Sheffield United.

Nobody takes "ownership", it's literally just a shorterned version. Similar to a nickname which is why some use "The Foxes".

Maybe people outside of Leicestershire would refer to us as "City" if we shared a City with another club but we don't. I'm guessing in Bristol they use "City" for Bristol City and "Rovers" for Bristol Rovers. But for clubs like them, like us, Manchester City are the biggest.

Boring argument anyway, it's been done a thousand times.

Villa did some good business while they still had Grealish on their books. Fair play for getting it done sooner rather than later.

The Premier League siphons the money from grass roots football in this country. The Champions League siphons money from the rest of the Premier League. And four or so clubs glisten around the world. It's a miracle we've had this amount of success.

3 hours ago, Yes said:

“Money’s ruined football” say the fans of a club who’ve spent all summer bragging about having the 3rd richest owners in the league. 

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

Always makes me laugh when you see fans pissed off when someone signs their best player but then immediately suggests they should knick someone else best player to replace him. 

The irony is completely lost on them when they just got Buendia by paying way more than Norwich could afford in wages for their best player, and offering him football at a higher level. 

They've gotten very big for their boots considering they finished 11th in the league. 

They shouldn't even be in the Premier League. They were gifted survival thanks to goal-line technology failing on one solitary occasion. 

They've done well since but to start wailing about money and integrity is laughable. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bovril said:

It's not so much the smaller clubs losing star players, it's the Man City hoovering everything up so they can beat Burnley 6-0 for the 10th season in a row or whatever.

As others have said it's not necessarily new. It's just boring. Think about how much people - including fans of other teams - have enjoyed Leicester's success. Precisely because it's different, it lets other fans dream. Why not try to make that more common? 

There's a very conservative attitude in football as a whole - definitely English football - of 'it's always been like this'. That doesn't make it any easier to like. We saw this with the Super League - people were outraged by it although it embodied many of the worst aspects of the Premier League that people have just begun accepting. 

It's not just because it's different though is it? I don't think it's even primarily that.

It's overcoming the level of financial inequality highlighted in this thread and the '**** you' it offers up to the crazy spenders that provides (well, for me at least) a huge chunk of the thrill.

Not arguing against a more level playing field, but by making the dream more realistic you also make it smaller.

Edited by turtmcfly
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Manchester City have always been the bigger City club. They've won more than the rest.

People act as if they'd won fvck all before 2008. They had 2 league titles and 4 FA Cups before they got took over.

But before 2008 I don't recall anyone calling them just 'City' (apart from my mate but he's from Stockport). I've not lived in Leicester for most of my life now so it's not just that. By status, I was referring to league status at that time not what they'd won in their past history. 

Look at their merchandise. They've claimed 'City' as their own. I don't see any other City clubs being that arrogant. Time to reclaim it. 

19 minutes ago, The Bear said:

The irony is completely lost on them when they just got Buendia by paying way more than Norwich could afford in wages for their best player, and offering him football at a higher level. 

They've gotten very big for their boots considering they finished 11th in the league. 

They shouldn't even be in the Premier League. They were gifted survival thanks to goal-line technology failing on one solitary occasion. 

They've done well since but to start wailing about money and integrity is laughable. 

That's not true though.

If you go by that then you can say "xxx" shouldn't have been relegated because that decision shouldn't have been a pen.

There are too many errors throughout a season. Villa will have been denied a goal or a pen when they should have had one.

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Bristol Rovers and Bristol City, but I don't think Bristol City are referred to solely as "City" anywhere other than Bristol, certainly not by the football media.

Edited by Vestan Pance

3 minutes ago, Vestan Pance said:

Bristol Rovers and Bristol City, but I don't think Bristol City are referred to solely as "City" anywhere other than Bristol, certainly not by the football media.

Yeah I did think of them straight after lol In my other post.

2 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Villa signed ings. That's come completely out of the blue.

Certainly under the radar, even with Grealish going still interesting looking Villa squad looking next season. Was this Ward-Prowse interest all a smoke screen. To be honest why aren't Leicester in the market for Ings?

Edited by Leicesterpool