Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

13 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Signing ings is odd for villa ….Watkins can’t be happy to see that ….it’s ok to have cover but both strikers need to be happy to sit on the bench 

Or.... they'll play 2 up front.

I like 2 up front far better than 1 up front personally.

I think given our CB issue, and the lack of a new RW option.... somewhere between 6th-10th would be a decent season.  Factor in the EL and minimal options in those positions, it could be ugly at times and we may lack consistency.  We saw the impact on Liverpool by not having VVD.

I for one won't be calling for "rodgers out" if it isn't all going as swimmingly as it has in recent seasons. 

strap in guys... it's gonna be fun!

Personally think Ings is a good signing for Villa. It's a lot of money but you're buying someone who is proven in this league. They've just lost one of the creators so have signed someone who will turn half chances into goals, he's a better player than Watkins but they can rotate to prevent injury. Their approach is very much boom or bust, but I don't think they've spent too badly.

In other news Southampton will be looking over their shoulder for much of this season.

I wonder what Southampton fans think of Ings now, got to be fuming surely? Yes they've got a ridiculous fee for someone with a year left but he was giving all the "i want to play at a high level" bollocks when he wouldn't sign the contract yet signs for Aston Villa. 

Southampton could be in trouble. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, RowlattsFox said:

I wonder what Southampton fans think of Ings now, got to be fuming surely? Yes they've got a ridiculous fee for someone with a year left but he was giving all the "i want to play at a high level" bollocks when he wouldn't sign the contract yet signs for Aston Villa. 

Apparently the Danny Ings nice guy act is in fact an act.

Everyone talking about villa like they are certain for Europe I think is very wide of the mark. They’ve lost their best player who carried the side and seem to of replaced him with a really random string of signings. When teams do such a thing it normally ends in tears. They could genuinely finish anywhere from bottom to 7th for me and I wouldn’t say that about any other side.

For me the only decent signing they’ve made is Buendia (still paid too much for him though). 

• Like 3

A bit Everton-esq with their signings. They do sound good on paper, but doesnt necessairily translate to a good team that will win you games and points. I definitely don't see them struggling, but i dont think they will easily walk into Europe.

2 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Ralph looked flustered last night when interviewed…. He was asked if he’d get the money to spend and couldn’t answer 

he wasn’t happy 

he’d already mentioned earlier this week that too many players just wanted money nowadays …..

If you look at Villa's strongest team:

Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Targett, Bailey, Luiz, McGinn, Buendia, Ings, Watkins - if they went 442, they play defensive full backs so would probably get away with a front 4 against most. That's pretty decent. Not much behind them though. 

5 minutes ago, whitlock said:

A bit Everton-esq with their signings. They do sound good on paper, but doesnt necessairily translate to a good team that will win you games and points. I definitely don't see them struggling, but i dont think they will easily walk into Europe.

I don’t get comments like this. All 3 of the players they’ve signed have been heavily suggested as signings we should make in the past. 

villas scouts have been good recently and they are definitely stronger this year than last. 

1 minute ago, Lambert09 said:

I don’t get comments like this. All 3 of the players they’ve signed have been heavily suggested as signings we should make in the past. 

villas scouts have been good recently and they are definitely stronger this year than last. 

They’ve signed big names that impress fans but not necessarily players who will be amazing. Ings is an ageing striker who they’ve somehow paid 30million for. Bailey is inconsistent at best and has no premier league experience. Buendia I rate highly, think they over paid but he’ll certainly make up for some of the creativity lost by losing grealish.

Just think, we signed Soumare, Daka and Bertrand for only a little more than they paid for just Buendia. I just don’t see them doing the amazing business everyone claim. It reminds me a lot of that summer where West Ham went crazy singing players like Haller. Everyone were convinced they were getting into Europe where in reality they nearly got themselves relegated!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, peach0000 said:

They’ve signed big names that impress fans but not necessarily players who will be amazing. Ings is an ageing striker who they’ve somehow paid 30million for. Bailey is inconsistent at best and has no premier league experience. Buendia I rate highly, think they over paid but he’ll certainly make up for some of the creativity lost by losing grealish.

Just think, we signed Soumare, Daka and Bertrand for only a little more than they paid for just Buendia. I just don’t see them doing the amazing business everyone claim. It reminds me a lot of that summer where West Ham went crazy singing players like Haller. Everyone were convinced they were getting into Europe where in reality they nearly got themselves relegated!

I honestly think for the price ings could be good value. You can pay about 7 mill just in loan fees these days. If he gets 10 goals it would probably be good value. 

I’m certainly more worried about playing them now than I was this time last year. 

1 minute ago, Lambert09 said:

I honestly think for the price ings could be good value. You can pay about 7 mill just in loan fees these days. If he gets 10 goals it would probably be good value. 

I’m certainly more worried about playing them now than I was this time last year. 

For me it’s just his injury record that would be a concern. At his age he may well only have one or two years left at the top level. It’s a big money risk that I don’t think we would ever take. They’ve spent 30 million on someone with no resale value as well which seems reckless. 

8 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I'm not sure it's good scouting exactly - they've hardly gone out and unearthed three hidden gems from nowhere, have they? Their manager has explicitly said that they primarily look for players who have Premier League experience and ideally are English, which in terms of value for money is probably the most expensive way of going about your business, as exemplified by paying £30m for someone with a year left on his contract and little to no resale value. The players they've brought in who don't fit that criteria have been a mixed bag at best. 

They're not bad signings necessarily but I can certainly see the comparison with Everton spending big on domestic players like Sigurdsson, Richarlison and Keane without really going anywhere. Given that they have typically looked extremely ordinary without Grealish it's certainly not a foregone conclusion that they'll improve this year.

• Like 2