Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

Manager just said in his conference that JWP will be with them for next couple of years. Signed a 5 years contract last season 

Off then lol

7 hours ago, Koke said:

State of Arsenal... 

The Maddison interest was at least partially down to filling their home-grown quota. I'm still convinced that was the same reason Chelsea took the plunge on Drinkwater a few years back, despite him always being unlikely to break into the first team. Disrupt a rival, fill your quota, and if the player actually comes good it's a bonus. A cynical signing made for administrative reasons first and football reasons second. Not saying Maddison's signing would be "cynical" - he'll improve their team - but the interest has got to be at least partially driven by the ongoing trend of "big" clubs scrambling to get senior English players on the books so they don't have to have academy players stick around long enough to see if they come good. It literally took a transfer embargo for Chelsea to finally cave and give the likes of Mount and James a chance.

Kind of ridiculous that we still have clubs that struggle to find enough home-grown talent to meet a basic quota in 2021. I'm thankful that we have a solid academy that's able to produce players of the caliber of Barnes, KDH, Thomas and Chilwell so we generally retain a solid homegrown spine without having to spend silly money.

Then again, you reap what you sow - half the reason quotas now exist is in response to Arsenal and Portsmouth starting a game in 2009 without a single English player in either starting XI. So I can't help feeling a little bit of schadenfreude when the muppets have their arm twisted into spending a combined £80 million on Ben White and Aaron Ramsdale. :wave:

https://www.whoateallthepies.tv/arsenal/229174/on-this-day-in-2009-the-very-first-english-top-flight-game-to-start-without-an-englishman-on-the-pitch.html

Edited by OntarioFox

14 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

The Maddison interest was at least partially down to filling their home-grown quota. I'm still convinced that was the same reason Chelsea took the plunge on Drinkwater a few years back, despite him always being unlikely to break into the first team. Disrupt a rival, fill your quota, and if the player actually comes good it's a bonus. A cynical signing made for administrative reasons first and football reasons second.

Kind of ridiculous that we still have clubs that struggle to find enough home-grown talent to meet a basic quota in 2021. I'm thankful that we have a solid academy that's able to produce players of the caliber of Barnes, KDH, Thomas and Chilwell so we generally retain a solid homegrown spine without having to spend silly money.

Then again, you reap what you sow - half the reason quotas now exist is in response to Arsenal and Portsmouth starting a game in 2009 without a single English player in either starting XI. So I can't help feeling a little bit of schadenfreude when the muppets have their arm twisted into spending a combined £80 million on Ben White and Aaron Ramsdale. :wave:

https://www.whoateallthepies.tv/arsenal/229174/on-this-day-in-2009-the-very-first-english-top-flight-game-to-start-without-an-englishman-on-the-pitch.html

It is nuts that Arsenal are struggling with their quota despite the likes of Holding, Smith-Rowe and Saka.

Used to love Arsenal in the early 2000s but seeing the state of their estate agent, 2nd hand car dealership and general 'oi oi' fan base suddenly find their voice when they inevitably took the lead against us in their library between 2015-2019 doesnt give me any sympathy for their current state whatsoever.

Long may it continue!

Chelsea spent close to 300mil last summer. Now 115mil for one player! Am I the only one who finds these kinds of sums depressing. I don't know if they've tapped any other players up, but they're close to spending half a BILLION in a year. So much for the pandemic economic squeeze. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Hoopla10 said:

Chelsea spent close to 300mil last summer. Now 115mil for one player! Am I the only one who finds these kinds of sums depressing. I don't know if they've tapped any other players up, but they're close to spending half a BILLION in a year. So much for the pandemic economic squeeze. 

Pandemics don't impact corrupt Russian Billionaires 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, STUHILL said:

Pandemics don't impact corrupt Russian Billionaires 

True, but I think I find it more depressing how it's all reported on and discussed by fans of those clubs. There's no question about the morality of it all. The clubs/owners are only processing through the system. The Super League is some forgotten nightmare that they all protested as the worse thing to football and yet the same mechanism that created that they'll happily excuse when it's done now. They blamed no competition but who's competing with teams that can spend 100s of millions on players? That can buy some of the best players from "smaller" clubs that dare to compete with them. Let alone buy them to hit a quota while also neutralizing any threat. 

1 minute ago, Hoopla10 said:

True, but I think I find it more depressing how it's all reported on and discussed by fans of those clubs. There's no question about the morality of it all. The clubs/owners are only processing through the system. The Super League is some forgotten nightmare that they all protested as the worse thing to football and yet the same mechanism that created that they'll happily excuse when it's done now. They blamed no competition but who's competing with teams that can spend 100s of millions on players? That can buy some of the best players from "smaller" clubs that dare to compete with them. Let alone buy them to hit a quota while also neutralizing any threat. 

Leicester have benefited from it recently, with huge sums paid for some of our players. Maguire for example pretty much paid for our training ground. 

It is a different world though and although clubs like Real, Barce and Juve are now struggling with their history of greed and over spending, I just don't see how clubs like Chelsea, City or PSG ever will, because they will always be backed by owners who see 1 billion pounds as pocket change. 

I try not to focus too much on it, as nothing will change in regard to some of those clubs and their owners. The Premier League will not want to discourage them either, as they want to remain the best and richest league in the world. 

It's the pool we have to share, but wow, aren't we taking it to the "big boys"! 

It will become more and more a 'battle of the rest' but on our day, we can still turn them over e.g. FA Cup :wub:

8 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Chelsea scrape win over VillaReal and I watched us tear them to bits the other day before they ruined the game (dirty scunters !) ...   remember saying to my mate 'We look sooooo fvckin good !!' ...     

What a season this could be.

Hang on, it's less that 2 weeks ago since this place was in meltdown because we lost on penalties to Burton and Wycombe beat us lol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, AjcW said:

Can't work Southampton out, it's like they've completely given up.

Letting Vestergaard train with us is a bit 'nicey nicey' isn't it.

Looks like JWP will be off before end of the window too.

They've brought a couple in but no one 'proven'

To be honest it's got all the makings of them having a great season because it just seems too obvious that they fall to pieces and get relegated at this point lollol 

Selling club for sure, it's not like there selling to raise funds to boost various areas of the pitch. Ralph must feel like his squad is being repossessed around him. Every time he turns round on the training ground another player is gone!

55 minutes ago, Hoopla10 said:

Not just the fans - the pundits were roundly criticising the Super League, as well as those who furloughed staff at the first opportunity, during the pandemic. 

Now they are all excited about whose spending the most money.

It is depressing - you're absolutely right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

Leicester have benefited from it recently, with huge sums paid for some of our players. Maguire for example pretty much paid for our training ground. 

It is a different world though and although clubs like Real, Barce and Juve are now struggling with their history of greed and over spending, I just don't see how clubs like Chelsea, City or PSG ever will, because they will always be backed by owners who see 1 billion pounds as pocket change. 

I try not to focus too much on it, as nothing will change in regard to some of those clubs and their owners. The Premier League will not want to discourage them either, as they want to remain the best and richest league in the world. 

It's the pool we have to share, but wow, aren't we taking it to the "big boys"! 

It will become more and more a 'battle of the rest' but on our day, we can still turn them over e.g. FA Cup :wub:

True, but they're players that went to teams challenging top 4 (ie the bigger clubs we're trying to break into). Okay Maguire would have helped pay off our training ground but if we kept players like Kante, Mahrez, Maguire etc we might have been in the Champions League over the last couple of seasons, higher league position (last season we could have even won it again). Maybe those successes would have also payed for a new training ground.

We do amazing, no question, I have so much praise for everybody from recruitment to owners. We're in a special place not many clubs occupy. It feels though at times we're used as an example that everything is fine (little ol' Leicester can win the league anybody can) when it's all far from fine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58192499

Aaron Ramsdale not for sale, says Slavisa Jokanovic

Sheffield United goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale is not for sale, according to boss Slavisa Jokanovic, despite two bids from Arsenal.

The Blades' valuation of the 23-year-old England Under-21 international has not yet been met by the Gunners, but talks will continue.

Ramsdale moved to Bramall Lane from Bournemouth for £18.5m last summer.

"I don't have any intention to sell him," said Jokanovic. "He will be in my starting 11 for the next game.

"He is a very good keeper and I am really happy working with him. He's a really expensive keeper too."

The £30m-rated Ramsdale, who was called up to Gareth Southgate's England Euro 2020 squad but did not play, started in Sheffield United's 1-0 Championship defeat by Birmingham last Saturday.

Meanwhile, Arsenal midfielder Joe Willock has agreed personal terms with Newcastle and will travel to the North East for a medical ahead of a permanent transfer.

The deal for the 21-year-old is expected to be in the region of £25m and comes after a successful loan spell with Steve Bruce's side last season.

There's something in the North London air, gotta be.

2 minutes ago, Hoopla10 said:

True, but they're players that went to teams challenging top 4 (ie the bigger clubs we're trying to break into). Okay Maguire would have helped pay off our training ground but if we kept players like Kante, Mahrez, Maguire etc we might have been in the Champions League over the last couple of seasons, higher league position (last season we could have even won it again). Maybe those successes would have also payed for a new training ground.

We do amazing, no question, I have so much praise for everybody from recruitment to owners. We're in a special place not many clubs occupy. It feels though at times we're used as an example that everything is fine (little ol' Leicester can win the league anybody can) when it's all far from fine.

We might have done better keeping the key players we sold short term, but then we wouldn't have been able to put together the squad we've got now, which I think is probably the strongest we've ever had. Certainly the most valuable, anyway.