Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

Hang on, it's less that 2 weeks ago since this place was in meltdown because we lost on penalties to Burton and Wycombe beat us lol

Yes,  QPR gave most of our starting eleven the runaround. Its good to be optimistic if you remain philosophical about the bad matches but on here a couple of consecutive defeats and they all go crazy.

3 minutes ago, Hoopla10 said:

when it's all far from fine

Totally agree and I think even a lot of the fans from those big clubs agree too! The amount of money being chucked around is sickening and it is just getting worse. Already seeing £300k+/weekly wages for some players. That will soon become the norm for those big 4 and no doubt we will see Bale/Messi type wages in 2/3 years too. Where is the line? It's wherever those multi Billionaires want it to be, and it will dwarf the rest of us. 

All we can do, is keep going about our business smartly, invest wisely and not over extend ourselves whilst trying to benefit as much as possible while swimming in the same pool as these clubs. 

As you say though, that's us! We are lucky. So many other clubs in the league or down the pyramid will never be able to get anywhere close to the top 4 with this continued spending, unless like Newcastle hope, you join the multi Billionaires club! Only realistic way in now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KFS said:

I just want to finish above one of these disgusting spending clubs. Ridiculous.

We have spent more than most this summer and also just announced stadium plans. 

People in glass houses…

5 minutes ago, howie said:

We have spent more than most this summer and also just announced stadium plans. 

People in glass houses…

Show me where we’ve spent 100m on one player? Baffling comment.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KFS said:

Show me where we’ve spent 100m on one player? Baffling comment.

We haven’t but we have spent more than most clubs this summer.

At what point does spending become disgusting? 

2 hours ago, Hoopla10 said:

Chelsea spent close to 300mil last summer. Now 115mil for one player! Am I the only one who finds these kinds of sums depressing. I don't know if they've tapped any other players up, but they're close to spending half a BILLION in a year. So much for the pandemic economic squeeze. 

Chelsea are an utterly disgusting club. 

I just love the fact we beat them in May 

• Like 4

Funny how spending comparisons are made. You certainly have to spend to stay competitive, but on the other hand we won the league without spending much at all. I think the only way that happens is if the stars aline. There's a reason it's called a miracle. In general have a lot of faith in our management and owners to keep it sustainable.

I only hope we continue to be the club that's spending similar to other top 10 but consistently get Europe. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

We’ve gone about 4 years in a row having net spends of less than 10/15£, it’s about time we had a high net soend

Yeah I agree. I have no issue with us spending money. I just find it strange when people are comfortable with us spending more than two thirds of the league but are disgusted by 2 or 3 teams outspending us.

33 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

When the whole European Super League was mentioned Sky kept reiterating they want competitiveness but how is it competitive for Man City/Chelsea to spend 100m (or near 100m) on one single player. That's not competitive. It's not a surprise they beat sides like Watford and Burnley 5-0 every season, that should be expected when you compare. 

edit: I also must add that's why I want sides like us to be top 6/top 4. Last season for example, as long as we're there I hoped West Ham would do it too.

What would you say makes a competitive league? 

If you look around the world most leagues have 4 good teams max

The Premier League probably has 8-10 who could finish in the top 6 positions, i'd say that's impressively competitive still.

You're never going to get more than ten teams in a league capable of doing something special in my opinion, and if you look at your example above of ourselves and West Ham finishing in the top 6 together, the Premier League aren't going to make a change until that sort of thing stops happening. 

Personally i'm fine with these clubs making a marquee signing every season, because i know heart of hearts that if they'd just have taken the time to scout a couple of the lads we get for 20-30m and put them in their already ridiculous squad they'd probably have the same (if not better) end result. 

I'd be much more concerned if Man City, Chelsea etc started using their spending power to trample all over our scouting network, as opposed to watching them signing a player we'd never of had a chance of signing.

Edited by AjcW

3 hours ago, AjcW said:

What would you say makes a competitive league? 

If you look around the world most leagues have 4 good teams max

The Premier League probably has 8-10 who could finish in the top 6 positions, i'd say that's impressively competitive still.

You're never going to get more than ten teams in a league capable of doing something special in my opinion, and if you look at your example above of ourselves and West Ham finishing in the top 6 together, the Premier League aren't going to make a change until that sort of thing stops happening. 

Personally i'm fine with these clubs making a marquee signing every season, because i know heart of hearts that if they'd just have taken the time to scout a couple of the lads we get for 20-30m and put them in their already ridiculous squad they'd probably have the same (if not better) end result. 

I'd be much more concerned if Man City, Chelsea etc started using their spending power to trample all over our scouting network, as opposed to watching them signing a player we'd never of had a chance of signing.

Firstly, I wasn't comparing to other leagues or other Countries.

I think the league is competitive in terms of anybody can beat anybody on the day but overall far too much money now which is more my point. I know there's always been money, and the best teams have always spent, but Man City can literally go out and spend 100m on another teams best player... for what? They've got 3 or 4 other wingers who are as good as Grealish. Man City putting 5 past Burnley or Watford doesn't impress me. They spend more money than those sides ever will.

I just don't think oil rich clubs offer competitiveness throughout the league. There should be a cap regardless of how much money the owners of each club have.

• Like 1

Nobody seems to have factored in that Grealish going there is gonna be a bit of a make or break signing for this kind of transfer. It's far from a given that he's going to be a success.

Part of me wants him to do well on a personal level, since it's not his fault he caught Man City's eye, and he does improve England's output when he's on the pitch.

But at the same time, flop and this may put an end to such ridiculous fees spent on what are ultimately just  speculative transfers. His numbers thusfar in his career do nothing to say he's worth anything close to a nine figure sum. No way in a million years he's worth more than Lukaku, objectively speaking. Romelu is probably one of the top five strikers in the world right now and he's gone to Chelsea for less than a tricky winger at a mid-table club whose greatest career accolade thusfar is the Championship Playoffs.

If it takes him failing at Man City to start turning the tide against clubs throwing obscene money at players that are anything short of world class, I won't lose any sleep.

• Like 1