Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

41 minutes ago, Corky said:

Really pleased for Brentford and their fans, they've missed out on attending two play-off finals, missed their last game at their old ground, the first at the new one and their first match after promotion they turn Arsenal over.

They should soak it in.

Absolutely this.

Why on earth wouldn't they celebrate as they did and thank their players and management after the game? 

Without intending to sound patronising, this may (like us) be the most special period that they have supporting their club. Very pleased for them. 

24 minutes ago, Adster said:

Not really mate. You've had a mare with this. 

Let them have their moment. We certainly would if we were in their shoes.

Fair play mate, Brentford deserve to celebrate big time, we would. 

But the reality is Arsenal were total rubbish and probably the ideal team for Brentford to play first match back in the top division. My two Arsenal mates in the club are in total despair that their team lost to a side not even playing very well. 

Kind of makes you wish the Super League had gone ahead. 
Imagine that shite on the opening day of the Super League! Within 5 minutes of the game they’d be desperately trying to change the rules and allow relegation.

Brentford looked far better than any of the 4 who went down last season, could make it a really competitive season across the board.

Anyone criticising them for the celebration needs to watch the video of 5-3 against Man Utd when we returned. Or even going further back when we beat Arsenal 2-1 at Filbert St in our first ever season in the top flight. In the Kop was mental that day.

I have to feel sorry for Ben White with the flack he's taking online. He isn't an experienced player.

He's talented, sure. He's good on the ball, sure. But he's gone into this massive football club for a huge fee and he hasn't got a centre back partner worthy of the name at the club. He's going in there and I bet he's the one who's supposed to be in charge of that back line.

If the coaches and fans are expecting him to be the leader back there, they don't know what they're doing. They need a Vestergaard, Evans, Koulibaly, de Vrij (or Dunk). They're different types of centre back of course, but they need someone of that ilk who has experience, nous and who can take charge of a game and calm things down at the back when their opponents are buoyant and bullish and on top.

Arsenal need more signings back there. If not, Ben White is going to get a whole lot more abuse and it won't be his fault.

2 hours ago, Tielemans63 said:

Brentford haven't played a top flight game for 75 years, fans are back after 18 months and they've just beaten a big name team 2-0. They've got every right to celebrate. Are you telling me you wouldn't if you were in the same position?

Exactly. It’s nice to see, reminds me of the wide eyed enthusiasm we had when first promoted. 

When we got promoted back in the 90’s we cheered the new electric advertising hoardings when they changed. lol 

• Haha 2

I like an occasional bet on the football, nothing big or stupid, but I really wish I'd stuck a tenner on Brentford tonight.

Don't know what the odds were, I'm guessing they were the underdogs?

There was only ever one team winning tonight and that wasn't Arsenal. 

But did the bookies agree? 

3 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I like an occasional bet on the football, nothing big or stupid, but I really wish I'd stuck a tenner on Brentford tonight.

Don't know what the odds were, I'm guessing they were the underdogs?

There was only ever one team winning tonight and that wasn't Arsenal. 

But did the bookies agree? 

Brentford were 3/1 mate 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Exactly. It’s nice to see, reminds me of the wide eyed enthusiasm we had when first promoted. 

When we got promoted back in the 90’s we cheered the new electric advertising hoardings when they changed. lol 

when we got that new scoreboard back at filbert street that was more than just the single  line score, I thought we were really going places!

2 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

I have to feel sorry for Ben White with the flack he's taking online. He isn't an experienced player.

He's talented, sure. He's good on the ball, sure. But he's gone into this massive football club for a huge fee and he hasn't got a centre back partner worthy of the name at the club. He's going in there and I bet he's the one who's supposed to be in charge of that back line.

If the coaches and fans are expecting him to be the leader back there, they don't know what they're doing. They need a Vestergaard, Evans, Koulibaly, de Vrij (or Dunk). They're different types of centre back of course, but they need someone of that ilk who has experience, nous and who can take charge of a game and calm things down at the back when their opponents are buoyant and bullish and on top.

Arsenal need more signings back there. If not, Ben White is going to get a whole lot more abuse and it won't be his fault.

100% this.

50m on Ben White is madness, although he'll definitely look better in time than he did tonight. Didn't he only play in a 3 at Brighton? And they've signed him and chucked him straight into a back 4 with 2 CBs.

My Arsenal supporting mate was saying last night the board haven't backed Arteta, but they've spent 76m so far (sold Willock for 25m today tbf), surely that's enough for 3 or 4 decent signings, we got Soumare and Daka for 40m combined, Tielemans for 32 etc. None of these were under the radar gems, they were all well known players. Their signings are poor and I don't rate Arteta at all, the club looks a mess from top to bottom.

• Like 2

On 10/08/2021 at 00:27, CloudFox said:

Surprised people are writing off Brentford so early. I think they may surprise a few in this league. Their first game, against Arsenal, will be an interesting one to keep an eye on...

Well they did throw up a friday 13th suprise..

Now if Maddison after that prefers Arsenal...Stop The World I wanna get off....whoops silly me, I soon will be..:giggle:...

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

Hopefully a lesson there for someone like James Maddison who may have had his head turned recently...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Imagine that waiting so long for the big return, only to be told you got a three year ban. What a stupid person. 

You are far too nice...

He s a North London Arsenal twat...!!! & So are the owners, who should be suspended for agreeing such a Light punishment...

Feel better Now I got that off my mind....

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Brentford look like a class club. They actually remind me a bit like us! Hard to dislike, top bloke as a manager, some iconic players.

Well done to them! Can they stay up? Based on that yes they can! I think the tougher teams for them to play will probably be the more physical teams like Burnley, West Ham to a degree. But those sort of teams are fading away in the top flight so it might work in their favour. They remind me of Norwich when they came back up two seasons ago, but they seem to have more quality.

All that said, it is unbelievable how far Arsenal have fallen. Hard to imagine the Wenger era after a performance like that. So many poor players in that lineup.

I reckon pundits, players & fans will be gobsmacked &  Knocked over, this season...

i Never thought any pre favourites for the drop, were going to Roll over & lay down..

IMO the expected bottom  8 Teams will cause havoc Early in this season...

Also I fully expect Chelsea finally see a Complete Domination on all Fronts including Europe this season.

And I cant see us/ a 5th Team to upset that Top 4 status-quo ...The strength of their squads will Now Show their high quality..

Manutd are still Bloody strong, and any pre determined Release of schadenfreude from within this site

will Fall  Foul towards that fate of the laughing glib "entitled". They could have Early season shakes, but the Top 4 will dominate...

Chelsea wont slip,und could Take over that dusty mantel, which Man.City wore, but After a Brush up, could well see more successes

on Brentford, und I mean no Ill will, I have seen many a Team around Europe Top leagues in the last win their First period of games,playing Great Football

Then vor different various reasons collapse & cascade down the table...Look at Huddersfield recent past..!!

I Really Hope Brentford Rattle a few cages...and Dont Fall to injuries or nonsense intern politics & join us in the PL higher-echelons...

Butt ending, Spurs & Arsenal out of their traditional entitled Top 6 expectations..Now wouldnt that be nice.

I will again wait  5-8 games, before I make any hard predictions on various clubs bear & bull tendences.. 

Outside Chelsea who I See Dominating the Next few seasons..

I also Hope none of our fans, think they have now the right to acquire /Take over those battons of  entitlement from these 2 London Empty vessels...!!

I really don’t get why Arsenal signed Ben White, when they have Saliba. They’ve got glaring holes all over the squad and have spent money on a centreback. 

7 hours ago, Adster said:

Not really mate. You've had a mare with this. 

Let them have their moment. We certainly would if we were in their shoes.

Had a mare? Think you're taking me far too seriously there. Still think it was cringeworthy.

Edited by z-layrex

4 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I'm amazed the bookies gave them such long odds. That's unreal.

The bookies' odds would be based on what bets were being made by the public, not on their opinion of Brentford's chances. I'm always surprised that people don't get this.

7 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Or even going further back when we beat Arsenal 2-1 at Filbert St in our first ever season in the top flight. In the Kop was mental that day.

I remember it well. What a day! Although in fact we only drew 1-1.

The 3-2 win against Liverpool is probably the one you’re thinking of - our first top-flight home win if I remember correctly.

Edited by Phil Bowman