Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

6 hours ago, MPH said:

when we got that new scoreboard back at filbert street that was more than just the single  line score, I thought we were really going places!

It added 4000 on the gate that first night. lol 

wish they still did the score flash now, the anticipation when it flashed “score flash” lol 

Edited by Vlad the Fox

7 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

I have to feel sorry for Ben White with the flack he's taking online. He isn't an experienced player.

He's talented, sure. He's good on the ball, sure. But he's gone into this massive football club for a huge fee and he hasn't got a centre back partner worthy of the name at the club. He's going in there and I bet he's the one who's supposed to be in charge of that back line.

If the coaches and fans are expecting him to be the leader back there, they don't know what they're doing. They need a Vestergaard, Evans, Koulibaly, de Vrij (or Dunk). They're different types of centre back of course, but they need someone of that ilk who has experience, nous and who can take charge of a game and calm things down at the back when their opponents are buoyant and bullish and on top.

Arsenal need more signings back there. If not, Ben White is going to get a whole lot more abuse and it won't be his fault.

He's certainly a talent but we wouldn't have touched him for a bargepole for £25-30mil tops. 

Can't blame him for taking the deal and players joining them for years now must be sold with the stadium and infrastructure malarkey.

I can't help but think it was the wrong time and the wrong price and the wrong fans (who for a few years now have harbored resentment year after year with growing traction) for a club for him to make his big name at. I don't think he'll have a great season unless the players around him can improve.

Edited by UHDrive

Arsenal still can’t defend…… they’re a bit like a wasp with no sting…. There seems to be some threat there but when it comes to it they’re blunt.

So basically they’re a fly….. they will however finish above Spurs who I think are going to have an absolute rotter this season. 

fair play to Brentford. No problem at all with them enjoying their moment last night. I doubt it was pre planned, but I guess the long wait for top flight football, the first game at the new stadium and giving one of the "Big 6" a spanking it just felt "right"

Nice touch to applaud Saka on to the pitch too.

1 hour ago, Phil Bowman said:

I remember it well. What a day! Although in fact we only drew 1-1.

The 3-2 win against Liverpool is probably the one you’re thinking of - our first top-flight home win if I remember correctly.

Nah we definitely won! 2-1 I remember going nuts when David Lowe swooped to head home. 
Jimmy Willis probably should have been sent off, but we got lucky and then at the final whistle it went crazy!

One of my favourite ever moments in football was singing “we’re shit and we’re beating you!” 
I am certain it was 2-1!

4 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Nah we definitely won! 2-1 I remember going nuts when David Lowe swooped to head home. 
Jimmy Willis probably should have been sent off, but we got lucky and then at the final whistle it went crazy!

One of my favourite ever moments in football was singing “we’re shit and we’re beating you!” 
I am certain it was 2-1!

Ah - you mean our first Premiership/Premier League game!! When you said ‘first ever top flight’ I assumed you meant the 1908-09 season.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I am certain it was 2-1!

I'm fairly sure you have false memory here, since you're evidently discussing 1994, and the first match back was Newcastle at home, which we lost 1-3.

• Like 1

Brentford were completely comfortable really. Arsenal lacking a leader and look every bit a bottom half side on that. I still think Brentford will be bottom 5 but Toney looked bright and they seem willing to alter their tactics to whoever they are playing.

54 minutes ago, Langston said:

Arsenal aren't a club that can be turned around with one window because there's so much more to it than buying players X, Y and Z. As well as signing the right kind of players (of which I think White is one, regardless of a pretty horrid debut) there's a whole culture there that needs overhauling and that's not a simple or easy thing to do.

They tried all summer to flog Xhaka only to offer him new terms once it became apparent Roma wouldn't cough up what they wanted. They have an outright unhappy Aubameyang as well as a good handful of players that either don't seem bothered, are past it or have simply stagnated in Lacazette, Bellerin, Willian, Elneny Chambers etc. Their senior players never roll their sleeves up.

I hate the phrase "you wouldn't want them in the trenches with you" but it applies to so, so many of Arsenal's current set. A club that big shouldn't be relying on three kids in Saka, Smith-Rowe and Tierney to constantly drag them through games.

It'll take years to overhaul it, even then I think they'll have serious trouble worrying last season's top 4 who we've done ridiculously well to keep pace with. 

This is pretty much spot on. 

The problem is there's no humility at the club. They need to have the honesty to recognise their position and to hit the reset. 

They don't want to be trying to steal our players, they want to be copying our recruitment. They need to accept they can't afford guys like Lautaro Martinez and he doesn't want to play for them anymore either, I don't even really believe Madders would have preferred to go there over staying. 

They need to learn to actually build from the ground up, to actually think about recruiting. Credit where its due, that's exactly what Liverpool did when they found themselves rolling around mid table looking miles away from the title. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

Ah - you mean our first Premiership/Premier League game!! When you said ‘first ever top flight’ I assumed you meant the 1908-09 season.

Bloody hell, I’m an old bastard but I’m not that bloody old!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'm fairly sure you have false memory here, since you're evidently discussing 1994, and the first match back was Newcastle at home, which we lost 1-3.

It wasn’t our first game of the season, if memory serves me correctly it was the first game after Brian Little walked out.

I was just highlighting a memory of some pretty big celebrations that night, for the people knocking Brentford’s celebrations.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

This is pretty much spot on. 

The problem is there's no humility at the club. They need to have the honesty to recognise their position and to hit the reset. 

They don't want to be trying to steal our players, they want to be copying our recruitment. They need to accept they can't afford guys like Lautaro Martinez and he doesn't want to play for them anymore either, I don't even really believe Madders would have preferred to go there over staying. 

They need to learn to actually build from the ground up, to actually think about recruiting. Credit where its due, that's exactly what Liverpool did when they found themselves rolling around mid table looking miles away from the title. 

They'll find it difficult to hit the reset button when so many ex-players keep suggesting every decent non-top 4 team would be delighted to go to Arsenal and list them finishing in the top 6. They're ego is being continually polished.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Brentford were completely comfortable really. Arsenal lacking a leader and look every bit a bottom half side on that. I still think Brentford will be bottom 5 but Toney looked bright and they seem willing to alter their tactics to whoever they are playing.

Agreed, but that would still be a hell of an achievement if they’re 17th

Not sure that sort of tempo will last all season. Also the quality past the XI isn’t enough for any loftier ambitions

Itll be interesting to see how they get on though because they won’t sign “prem experience 30+ year olds” to get them out of a hole in January… if they do it there way and stay up it might really change how promoted clubs do things going forwards. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Agreed, but that would still be a hell of an achievement if they’re 17th

Not sure that sort of tempo will last all season. Also the quality past the XI isn’t enough for any loftier ambitions

Itll be interesting to see how they get on though because they won’t sign “prem experience 30+ year olds” to get them out of a hole in January… if they do it there way and stay up it might really change how promoted clubs do things going forwards. 

We all said that about Leeds though, and unfortunately they did alright.

• Like 1

Arteta will be gone by xmas defence has been shite for years and without auba or lacazette playing they won’t score many. Can see one of them leaving as well. Maddison wouldn’t make any  difference going to them as they won’t have anyone to score goals from anything he creates