Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

45 minutes ago, StevieLynex said:

Easy for you to say when you at home at 4.45pm, and the rest of us struggle to make it before six

Not sure many people make it home before six, I stay till the end and applaud the team, I make it home about 5.35 and I only live a mile away from the King Power 

• Like 1

Just seen the results from today expected the West Ham one as Newcastle are rubbish and thought Spurs could get something with Man City they seem to be ab to get something from them at home hadn’t it been 3 games and 51 shots against and Man City still hadn’t scored last them.Won’t take long for msn city to kick in though. Still expect Spurs to struggle especially if son is out at any time. Reckon Newcastle will be lucky again this season as there wil be 3 teams worse than them so stay up again. Norwich Southampton and palace to go this season. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I think this is a case of middle ground being needed, you're against constant defensive smash and grabs, i'm against pointless sideways possession based football without it getting anywhere. You hear one thing I heard the other but I beg to differ with your "Yet you only hear it used in that context" comment, how often are we told "possession based football is the way the game should be played" or "If you're bored of watching Man City you're bored of football" even as much as "If you don't like Man City, you don't like football" (As I quote Jamie Redknapp). There's some middle ground to be found in both our arguments

What you say is true. I agree there is a lot of snobbery about how the game 'should be played' and teams like Burnley and Atletico Madrid almost seen as villains. It's all about getting the results at the end of the day (without resorting to cheating, dark arts and thuggery)

• Like 1

I don’t know whether I’m in the minority here but I find these kind of articles odd. This is surely just standard football fan behaviour and although I hate the phrase just ‘banter’. Clearly the racial nature of the abuse at the time was wrong but the two are surely unrelated. It’s just rival fans trying to get under the skin of the opposition.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9895731/Manchester-City-fans-chant-England-stars-Marcus-Rashford-Jadon-Sancho-let-country-down.html

1 hour ago, StevieLynex said:

I haven't looked at the link, but did Shearer score one for Southampton ?

Not in the Premier league.

The guy for the first one probably dined out on it throughout the rest of his career and spell on Talk sport!

Edited by Super_horns

2 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

What you say is true. I agree there is a lot of snobbery about how the game 'should be played' and teams like Burnley and Atletico Madrid almost seen as villains. It's all about getting the results at the end of the day (without resorting to cheating, dark arts and thuggery)

I agree, and if you're the underdog it's a line to stick to. But you can see the frustration in teams like ours where we're expected to be the pro-active attacking side. Spend 10s of minutes attempting to break down teams who seem happy to bank up against us seemingly playing for a point. Who might score a goal in seconds as we over-commit to get that win. It feels like we're the only ones trying to play football. Then it's a question what level (league position, financial) can a team be at before it just looks like anti-football? Teams like Burnley or Palace want to play like that and if it gets them results I say go for it (even if against us I might hate it at the time). Not sure I'd feel the same if ManU played like that. And I don't think it's a new thing, boring boring Arsenal was shouted purely to deride a strategy that worked for them. 

1 hour ago, peach0000 said:

I don’t know whether I’m in the minority here but I find these kind of articles odd. This is surely just standard football fan behaviour and although I hate the phrase just ‘banter’. Clearly the racial nature of the abuse at the time was wrong but the two are surely unrelated. It’s just rival fans trying to get under the skin of the opposition.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9895731/Manchester-City-fans-chant-England-stars-Marcus-Rashford-Jadon-Sancho-let-country-down.html

I find it odd people read the daily mail. Let alone the daily mail online. 

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Didn't Everton fans say the same last season after about 4 games?

Yeah not heard Everton fans that loud for a long time. We're gonna win the league, we're back where we belong etc etc. Strange times. Don't think anyone was underestimating Everton then, and I don't think anyone is underestimating West ham now. When their starting 11 is fully fit and firing it really is a hell of a team with a settled spine now. Trouble is as soon as they get a few injuries their squad depth is pony. They aren't getting the credit they "deserve" simply because people don't expect them to maintain it, not that they haven't been doing fairly well. 

5 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Yeah not heard Everton fans that loud for a long time. We're gonna win the league, we're back where we belong etc etc. Strange times. Don't think anyone was underestimating Everton then, and I don't think anyone is underestimating West ham now. When their starting 11 is fully fit and firing it really is a hell of a team with a settled spine now. Trouble is as soon as they get a few injuries their squad depth is pony. They aren't getting the credit they "deserve" simply because people don't expect them to maintain it, not that they haven't been doing fairly well

4 hours ago, Goober said:

Pretty amazed Moyes has had such a resurgence at West Ham. Thought he was finished.

They've got a really nice side 

They've got a really nice starting 11.

I was listening to talk sport thr other night, a hammers fan called in a wasn't looking forward to the season at all. They've got Europe to cope with this season and they haven't made 1 signing that improves their starting 11, they are in fact weaker because they've lost Lingard. 

They don't have a "recognised" No9 although Antonio does alright for them, not bad for a former right back, but he'll almost certainly face a spell on the treatment table.

It'll be interesting to see how seriously they take the Europa league because for them to maintain their league form from last season, with the squad that they have, they can do without playing Thursday/Sunday every week