Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

13 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I still think Arsenal have the nucleus of a good side, they are massively under performing. 

I'm not sure if you're taking the piss or not. 

It's honestly the worst Arsenal side of my life to date. We'd probably take someone, even Leno let's be honest, from their squad to stand on our right wing and improve it. Other than that we're ahead of them all over the park. 

I see Arsenal fans on social media comparing Arteta's record to Wenger's and I'm just utterly mystified. They could have Sir Alex Ferguson in charge and they'd still be awful, the team is just crap and whoever is managing their transfers is possibly the most inept man in the league.

I'm not suggesting Arteta was the right appointment but I've got no idea what anyone's expecting from them. Brentford didn't beat them because they're better managed, Brentford beat them because a newly promoted team coming out of the Championship with a nominal budget literally put out a better 11 than they did and were comfortably the better team. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, The Bear said:

All the big 6 managers will be complaining about it (Nuno aside). They don't like that they don't get 20-30 soft free kicks every game any more. 

Screw them. 

Time for Maddison to shape up and start a new diet of cheeseburgers. It could turn him into a world class player.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ecdysiast said:

Clear dive from Deli Ali for the pen.

Wtf is that bowl of vomit shirt that Spuds are wearing???

I know they are trying to overturn refs decisions less this year but that was s ridiculous peno IMO. He purposefully ran into the keeper then won the pen !

On fairness if Brendan doesn't get the backing he wants this window and we don't perform too well then he might be tempted with a move.

Not sure arsenal will be the place to go though, I heard that their owner just wants to stay in the prem without winning things so that he doesn't have to pay all the associated bonuses and improved contracts that go along with winning teams.

Edited by Grebfromgrebland
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

On fairness if Brendan doesn't get the backing he wants this window and we don't perform too well then he might be tempted with a move.

Not sure arsenal will be the place to go though, I heard that their owner just wants to stay in the prem without winning things so that he doesn't have to pay all the associated bonuses and improved contracts that go along with winning teams.

He's had unbelievable backing here. We've already got one of the highest net spends in the league this summer, we'll get another and no one (high profile) has been sold. Arsenal job would be hell. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

£40m. And they're trying to sell Ndomble and Aurier. 

First things first: he is absolutely not worth that sort of money. 

Second, he's a very odd footballer. Elite level physicality but championship end product.

BUT...

I do think he'd be more valuable in a team like Spurs because he occupies a defender or two. That pace concerns people greatly - kept seeing Ricardo hanging back to make sure he didn't get caught out in out game. The issue against us was that nobody was able to utilize the space this freed up because the rest of the side was pretty toothless, but in a Spurs side his presence may free up room for Son/Alli/Moura.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I'm not sure if you're taking the piss or not. 

It's honestly the worst Arsenal side of my life to date. We'd probably take someone, even Leno let's be honest, from their squad to stand on our right wing and improve it. Other than that we're ahead of them all over the park. 

I see Arsenal fans on social media comparing Arteta's record to Wenger's and I'm just utterly mystified. They could have Sir Alex Ferguson in charge and they'd still be awful, the team is just crap and whoever is managing their transfers is possibly the most inept man in the league.

I'm not suggesting Arteta was the right appointment but I've got no idea what anyone's expecting from them. Brentford didn't beat them because they're better managed, Brentford beat them because a newly promoted team coming out of the Championship with a nominal budget literally put out a better 11 than they did and were comfortably the better team. 

I'm being serious, a good manager turns them around like a good manager took our squad that was busy finishing 9th each season and got us instantly in the top 6 mix with very few signings of their own.

Don't get me wrong there's huge weaknesses there and their recruitment is at times astonishing but it wouldn't be a surprise to see someone get hold of Leno, Tierney, White, Saliba (call him back), Partey, Odegaard, ESR, Pepe, Saka and Aubemeyang and get them back closer to the top 6 than where they currently are.

It's probably not an acceptable depth of squad for a club of their size to be compering across 4 competitions season on season but it's as much the issue with the managers they appoint as the players they buy. There's a mentality issue with a lot of the players there and it needs the right manager to get in there and fix it. 

Whilst that doesn't happen though I'm happy to sit here and keep giggling at them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

He can gladly go imo..... 

Yes this is just so it comes back to bite me on my arse later after a 1-3 win due to a BR masterclass 😂

3 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

You still hear that from Arsenal fans, but I don't think it sticks.  They've already spent almost £200M in the market under Arteta's watch, counting loan fees ... £400M since Wenger left. (source: the Athletic)

The problem with Kroenke (ESL aside) is that he chooses incompetent people to acquire and manage players.  They spend but get little return on the pitch -- or in selling players on.

Their revenues are the lowest of the Greedy Six, and they took the biggest hit from COVID (because so much of their turnover is from match days). KSE have been cheapskates with non-playing staff ... but spendthrifts in the market.  They appear to be going all-in on a weak hand right now.

Anyone think West Ham arent actually all that?

They beat a Newcastle side that imploded at home and are pretty much our bogey team, nothing more nothing less. Hardly this top 4 challenging outfit they seem to be depicted at.

Expect them to finish around 8th-10th, which would be a great season for them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

They beat a Newcastle side that imploded at home and are pretty much our bogey team, nothing more nothing less. Hardly this top 4 challenging outfit they seem to be depicted at.

Probably one for the unpopular opinions thread tbh, i think Moyes is doing a surprisingly good job there.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Theyre bang average. Some absolute horse shit in their team - soucek does nothing too, good on a set piece and that's it.

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

They're certainly not an elegant side but they're effective. Their style is basically what we did in 2015/16 (though of course they don't have players of the same quality as prime Vardy, Kanté and Mahrez): low block, quick counters and 2 workaholic central midfielders. Will be interesting to see how they cope when the opposition start paying them more respect and park the bus against them. Do they have the creativity and patience to break down such teams? 

Edited by Sunbury Fox

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

I think they're a good side, and will sit in that 5-10 bracket, which could be quite congested. But it's not a surprise that they did it last season by winning games they were generally expected to; I think their record against the big 6 was pretty poor. Moyes squeezing everything out of the squad and deserves a lot of praise.

• Like 1

Guest Kopfkino
2 hours ago, Nalis said:

They’ve got absolutely naff all depth so when Europe kicks in they’ll be ****ed. I said before the game, this is the worst time we could play them because we knew they had our number last year and right at the start of the season they’d be bang on it. Play them in October and there’ll not be anywhere near the level they were tonight