Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

3 minutes ago, shailen said:

I think Man Utd have made a serious signing that will win them the title. Not only is Ronaldo still up there in terms of the best players in the world, but his influence on other players will help to raise the standard of everyone's game there and the positivity around Old Trafford will push them to great things imo. A player that demands, influences and loves that club like he does will only help their cause. 

I think he will certainly help but I still think they are behind Man City and Chelsea in the race. The managers are a big factor as well. Chelsea and Man City have genuine world class managers. Man Utd have one that is championship standard.

10 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

Makes me somewhat regret even more that Messi chose to play for PSG and not Manchester City. It would've been quite something.

I think this league would be to much for Messi it's a lot more physical and faster paced.. technically Messi is the better player but Ronaldo edges it on everything else..

saying that though Messi and Man city would be perfect and he would have fitted in there for sure.

Edited by whoareyaaa

11 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

I think he will certainly help but I still think they are behind Man City and Chelsea in the race. The managers are a big factor as well. Chelsea and Man City have genuine world class managers. Man Utd have one that is championship standard.

I don't disagree with this, but I think the leaders that are in that United team now will almost mean they can be self managed. If Ole doesn't put demands on the team then Ronaldo certainly will and I think that will be more pivotal to anything Pep or Tuchel could conjure up tactically. I think United have to be favourites now for the league. 

Champions league may be where they are found out tactically, so I think with Ole they'll struggle to win that. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, shailen said:

I don't disagree with this, but I think the leaders that are in that United team now will almost mean they can be self managed. If Ole doesn't put demands on the team then Ronaldo certainly will and I think that will be more pivotal to anything Pep or Tuchel could conjure up tactically. I think United have to be favourites now for the league. 

Champions league may be where they are found out tactically, so I think with Ole they'll struggle to win that. 

I'm just really sceptical of Ole as a manger. I guess only time will tell what will happen. I could also see a scenario where Ronaldo doesn't quite live up to expectations as well. I actually think Varane might turn out to be the bigger signing for them.

2 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Shows what a missed opportunity the last two seasons were. Top four look miles ahead now already. 

Liverpool look the most vulnerable and they’ve won 7 games in a row.

Guest Chocolate Teapot

Anyone find the same pundits lauding up the signing of Ronaldo nauseating? Ferdinand I particular.

The owners that were 'ruining the league' a few months ago are now heroes. We all know they'll try and do it again.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
6 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Shows what a missed opportunity the last two seasons were. Top four look miles ahead now already. 

Quite the opposite in my opinion. Shows how well we've done to compete.

11 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Top four always looks miles away at the end of every transfer window. As the season progresses and teams begin to slip up it becomes more attainable. 

You have to remember, we've improved our squad from last season and there are still 16 other teams in the league who we arguably are stronger than and we play them in the majority of our games.

Edited by peach0000

42 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

I think this league would be to much for Messi it's a lot more physical and faster paced.. technically Messi is the better player but Ronaldo edges it on everything else..

saying that though Messi and Man city would be perfect and he would have fitted in there for sure.

Messi is the GOAT. He’d be fine in the PL. 

8 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Anyone find the same pundits lauding up the signing of Ronaldo nauseating? Ferdinand I particular.

The owners that were 'ruining the league' a few months ago are now heroes. We all know they'll try and do it again.

Absolutely. It’s all forgotten now isn’t it…

1 hour ago, whoareyaaa said:

See, I never bought into that and never will.

There are plenty of players in the PL who weren't exactly built like units (for example D. Silva, Aguero, Scholes or... well Mahrez) and still did a great job. Messi's got the biggest footballing brain I've ever seen and thinks 2-3 steps ahead of everyone, the skills to go with and whilst he lost a bit of pace, I'm sure he still has more than enough in the tank left to cope with the PL just fine. People also vastly underestimate his physical strength and how much he got roughed up while taking on 4, 5, 6 players. Don't also forget that he faced the best english teams and still wrecked them many, many times. The PL being too physical for him is a tenacious urban myth that should die once and for all.

A lot of the greatest players of all time never set a foot in the PL and it didn't tarnish their legacy or diminish their accomplishments in any way. I doubt that Messi didn't fancy the PL because he feared to be found out or still has something to prove. Kudos to C.Ronaldo, who as the poster I quoted said, decided to take on one last challenge. Too bad we'll never get to see the dawn of the gods in the PL.

Edited by That_Dude
  • Like 4

I’ve got very mixed feelings about the Ronaldo signing. 

On the one hand I’m looking forward to seeing him play, particularly at the KP.

On the other, the wages and financial package are obscene and with Man Utd already having spent a fortune on Sancho it’s another example of the entitled clubs buying success and stifling fairer competition. 

The way in which we won the title can’t be bettered. A team tipped for relegation, put together on a comparatively small budget and playing good football showing that it is possible to beat the odds.

Edited by Mike Oxlong
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Phil Bowman said:

Although, to be fair, not as far away as it did in August 2015.

That’s a good point. Possibly I’m becoming fickle but do you feel the gulf then from memory was bigger then now?

We undoubtedly have a better squad then we did 2015, and I’m in no way playing down what we did back then. You can only beat what’s in front of you, and we were absolutely the best team across the season. But others say it will never happen again….

why is that? 

Thinking back to 2015 top teams in most cases  had managers that were losing their appeals (wenger, van gaal, mourinho), and players that were getting towards end of careers in Rooney and SweinSteiger. But the main thing IMO was the teams had vulnerability and glaring weaknesses that we and others exploited. 

I think it’s harder to find weaknesses in the current big 4 (excludes Spurs & arsenal) 

2 minutes ago, turkish14 said:

do you feel the gulf then from memory was bigger then now?

Without a doubt. At the start of 2015-16 us winning the league was basically an utter impossibility. Absolutely nobody would have thought there was a cat in hell’s chance of it happening.

Now it’s just highly unlikely. But most people would probably say that if any of the ‘big’ clubs slip up, we might take advantage (at least they might have said that until they watched us at West Ham…).

Then we were a recently promoted team with a squad bought for buttons who’d looked like going down for most of the previous season and had zero expectation of being able to compete with the big boys in any real sense (of course there’s always the odd 5-3 win over Man U). We were probably among most people’s picks for the drop (especially if they hadn’t really been paying attention to how we’d actually played - and particularly to how we’d finished the season)

Now we’re relatively recent title winners who have been up near the top end for a while, won the FA Cup last season, have beaten all the big rich teams and have an expensively assembled squad of top players.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shailen said:

I think Man Utd have made a serious signing that will win them the title. Not only is Ronaldo still up there in terms of the best players in the world, but his influence on other players will help to raise the standard of everyone's game there and the positivity around Old Trafford will push them to great things imo. A player that demands, influences and loves that club like he does will only help their cause. 

Hope not. Cannot stand them for some reason.....

Ronaldo is a great piece of business, he’ll pay for himself in what they make in marketing alone. However, even with Ronaldo, they are still fourth in terms of squad in the PL.

What they have done this summer, is put a bit of a gap between themselves and us, Spurs and anyone else looking to break into the top 4.

For me, Chelsea and Man City are still out on their own, with Liverpool a little way back, followed by United.

Obviously, though as we’ve seen anything can happen in football and as we seen with Liverpool last season almost every team is one key injury from dropping back a bit.

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

You think we'd have gone far in the CL last season? We'd have either gone out in the same round or dropped down into the EL and then dropped out in the same round. We wouldn't really be able to enjoy away days either. They would still be miles ahead of us even if we'd made it in and in some ways it would hurt even more because like the PL it's them just underlying MONEY is what differentiates us from them. It's like them saying, you didn't want us to go off and start a SL, well big mistake. 

I can't stand Ronaldo, huge talent, huge ego, huge tw@. I hope the old adage applies, never go back. ManU's biggest weakness still remains, Ole. Ronaldo will unquestionably raise the team up but they're still not beating Chelsea or ManC imo and it'll be interesting to see if Ole receives criticism with his tactical decisions. But one thing is now certain, he has to win something, probably the FA cup at a minimum. 

Man scored 36 goals last season. He will bag at least 25-30 for United. Reminder that he is turning 37 in February. He is expensive in terms of wages but he will take United up a notch. Great player and great signing. 

Just now, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I wonder if Fernandes will be marginalised having to play in the same team as Ronaldo? He was pretty anonymous at the Euros.

Fernades scored 9 penalties last season. At least the stat padding will end. 

• Like 1