Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

5 minutes ago, Bert said:

I wonder if someone can find the longest run of starts he had under us? There’s never been a doubt about his talent it  was being able to do it consistently. By his own admission he could’ve done more here but he also said when he did more he wasn’t getting chances. Too many people on here think he had a massive attitude problem when that’s all just conjecture. I really wanted him to do well here but for some people it just doesn’t work out at certain clubs. I’m pleased for him he’s started the season well and scoring goals. Often felt sorry for him the stick he got from our fans. He’s gonna get booed like mad down here and I can’t actually see a real reason why. 

He started 11 of the first 14 games he was available for at the start of the 2018/19 season (and had at least half an hour in each of the other 3 games) and got 1 goal and 1 assist in that time.

You can make that 15/20 (still with 1g, 1a) if you go back to the end of the 17/18 season (with 4 30 minute+ sub appearances, the one time he didn’t make a 30 minute + sub appearance we got our best result in that period, a 3-1 win over Arsenal and even then he played 18 minutes).

He had plenty of chances here, it’s a total myth that he was never given a chance. He will revert to the mean.

Edited by ttfn

6 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Everton won’t finish top 6 either, their start has been ridiculously easy.

Southampton, Leeds, Brighton, Burnley is last season’s 15th, 9th, 16th and 17th. 10 points from that lot is pretty much par for the course especially as Southampton have been significantly weakened and Leeds look a shadow of the side they were last season.

Let’s not forget they had a similar start last season.

Top 4 is a pipe dream this season but we should still be aiming for top 6. Absolutely no excuses for not finishing above Everton. 

We've got 2 excellent excuses...

Perez and Maddison!

14 minutes ago, Corky said:

There is a myth about Burnley being strong defensively, they do leak goals.

They're a lot better going forward than they get credit for, but they are far worse defensively than they're made out to be.

I think it's just a perception borne out of the image of them as a team that they're really gritty and solid at the back, but they aren't, they're no better at the back than a Newcastle.

• Like 1

Just now, Babylon said:

If he’d scored 3 in 4 he’d have kept playing. But he was invariably shit, so he didn't.

You can argue he’s not been given Perez like chances. But he had plenty of opportunities to do something with his career and seemingly by his own admission his attitude wasn’t right.

And as I’ve said he also said he changed his attitude and still didn’t get the chances. I’d happily bet anyone that if had been given the starts Perez had for us when underperforming he’d had contributed more goals and assists. 

He was a very frustrating watch because we all know what he could’ve been capable of when playing and sadly for us more times than not the end product wasn’t there. 

It’s amazing in football what a fresh start and a fun of games can do for someone. 

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

If he’d scored 3 in 4 he’d have kept playing. But he was invariably shit, so he didn't.

You can argue he’s not been given Perez like chances. But he had plenty of opportunities to do something with his career and seemingly by his own admission his attitude wasn’t right.

Actually hilarious thinking how many chances Ayoze Perez gets here considering how utterly atrocious he is. Even how underwhelming Gray was, in 19/20 he still got more PL goals and assists then Perez could muster with his pathetic 2 goals and 1 assist last season. 

Edited by South Shire Fox

8 minutes ago, Bert said:

And as I’ve said he also said he changed his attitude and still didn’t get the chances. I’d happily bet anyone that if had been given the starts Perez had for us when underperforming he’d had contributed more goals and assists. 

He was a very frustrating watch because we all know what he could’ve been capable of when playing and sadly for us more times than not the end product wasn’t there. 

It’s amazing in football what a fresh start and a fun of games can do for someone. 

If you’ve been a knobhead numerous times, it’s going to take a lot for any manager to change their mind on you.

15 minutes ago, Bert said:

I wonder if someone can find the longest run of starts he had under us? There’s never been a doubt about his talent it  was being able to do it consistently. By his own admission he could’ve done more here but he also said when he did more he wasn’t getting chances. Too many people on here think he had a massive attitude problem when that’s all just conjecture. I really wanted him to do well here but for some people it just doesn’t work out at certain clubs. I’m pleased for him he’s started the season well and scoring goals. Often felt sorry for him the stick he got from our fans. He’s gonna get booed like mad down here and I can’t actually see a real reason why. 

Why do you think he would get "booed like mad down here"? He didn't leave with any animosity, did he? 

4 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Actually hilarious thinking how many chances Ayoze Perez gets here considering how utterly atrocious he is. Even how underwhelming Gray was, in 19/20 he still got more PL goals and assists then Perez could muster with his pathetic 2 goals and 1 assist last season. 

Yeah, it's side splittingly funny 😂...

and what's the betting he's back in the side against Brighton?

If he and Maddison both start in that game then I give up!

I'd prefer Gray over both of those useless waste of spaces!!

• Like 2

Nice to see him doing well but lets see if he can carry it for more than a few games (like he did at Leverkusen)

Also he is peforming well on the left for Everton, nothing to suggest he would be performing like this from the right and he wouldn't be better than Barnes

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

Why do you think he would get "booed like mad down here"? He didn't leave with any animosity, did he? 

Just wait and see, it’ll happen. 

Didn’t leave with an animosity but many peoples perception of him and how he underperformed for us will see this happen. Mark My words. 

3 minutes ago, Bert said:

Just wait and see, it’ll happen. 

Didn’t leave with an animosity but many peoples perception of him and how he underperformed for us will see this happen. Mark My words. 

I remember a thread on here just before we were about to play against Chris Wood for the first time since leaving us - “Shall we boo Chris Wood?” Or something along those lines lol 

1 hour ago, Sly said:

He was awful In Germany as well. 

it just shows what a change in coach, to someone who instills self belief in a player can do. 

Gray has openly stated he fell put of love with football with us. He’s look every bit the forward we want Barnes to be so far this season. 

No pressure on himself with that fee from Bayer either.

Fans onside from the start, I thought he would do well.

Early days though.

Edited by HankMarvin

39 minutes ago, Brizzle Fox said:

Well surprise surprise but there seems to be plenty of revisionism on here this evening about Gray. 

He had plenty of chances here and blew them all and it wasn't just 1 manager who didn't fancy him but 3 or 4, which must tell us something. 

Maybe something has clicked and he now finds himself in the right place, at the right time with the right manager... Or he'll revert back to type and turn back to shite in a month or two. Who knows. 

I genuinely hope the former as he always seemed like a decent lad who has obviously got a bit of talent, however if anyone thinks he was ever going to maximise that talent with us then they're kidding themselves. 

Him moving on will always have been the correct course of action for all parties, however good or bad he turns out for Everton in the longer term. 

Exactly this. This isn't a kramaric case. Move on