Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

10 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Definitely gets the ball. 

I think 20 years ago, no one bats an eyelid. These days you get booked. I think it should be something in between (e.g. just a freekick).

Getting the ball and then catching the player should be acceptable, in this instance he does just completely clatter Richarlison though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Is it just me that thinks this is a quality tackle? 

I hate Richarlison as much as the next guy but I'd almost go further and say it's not a million miles away from a red.

Vards was sent off against Wolves a couple of years ago for something not wildly dissimilar. Winning the ball is irrelevant if it's deemed reckless and unsafe. 

Few snippets from the FA Website:

Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed

Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned

Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off

SENDING-OFF OFFENCES

serious foul play

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

Really doesn't matter if he wins the ball. 

You can have a separate debate all day long about whether or not tackling was better for the spectator in days gone by, under different rules. I'm not getting in to that. But purely based on the state of the game in 2021, I'm pretty surprised that's not at absolute minimum a free kick and a strong telling off and honestly any colour of card wouldn't massively surprise me. I'm not advocating FOR a red card, by the way, to iterate I am just saying I don't think it would be hugely inconsistent with modern officiating in the Premier League, whether anyone likes that or not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Ball then man, you love to see it.

If Richarlison's leg was planted then though Tarkowski probably gets sent off and everyone chastises him for a reckless tackle. Funny how people base their reactions on outcome rather than action.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

I understand there is a place for a decent tackle in the game but this is a yellow card (at least) all day long.  You have to be physical and understand it is a contact sport of course but these ball then man tackles are (and should be) defined as cautions in the latest rules.  The best tackler in rest years, Kante, rarely goes to ground and I don't remember him taking ball then man.

The issue is this new idea that referees should be allowing the game to flow more.  I'm all for that with the niggly fouls but last night I thought Burnley crossed the line and took advantage of the allowances to be overly physical in the tackle.  I think some managers, Klopp, do have a point on this one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I hate Richarlison as much as the next guy but I'd almost go further and say it's not a million miles away from a red.

Vards was sent off against Wolves a couple of years ago for something not wildly dissimilar. Winning the ball is irrelevant if it's deemed reckless and unsafe. 

Few snippets from the FA Website:

Really doesn't matter if he wins the ball. 

You can have a separate debate all day long about whether or not tackling was better for the spectator in days gone by, under different rules. I'm not getting in to that. But purely based on the state of the game in 2021, I'm pretty surprised that's not at absolute minimum a free kick and a strong telling off and honestly any colour of card wouldn't massively surprise me. I'm not advocating FOR a red card, by the way, to iterate I am just saying I don't think it would be hugely inconsistent with modern officiating in the Premier League, whether anyone likes that or not.

It’s a worse tackle than the one the Leeds player was sent off for on Sunday. 

1 minute ago, ttfn said:

It’s a worse tackle than the one the Leeds player was sent off for on Sunday. 

I’ve seen the tackle but only from one angle and very harsh to get a red for that. Injuries will happen and shouldn’t determine if it’s a red or not. That tackle didn’t look wreckless to me.

Burnley defenders got previous for pulverising Brazilian legs too. Ben Mee on Wesley a couple of years ago was horrifying, no punishment in that case either ... not sure he's come back to anywhere near the same standard yet

Edited by Jaspa

1 minute ago, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

be interested to see how this leeds appeal against the ban for their man who did harvey elliott’s ankle. watching the game pawson wasn’t even going to stop it let alone give a card. purely sent off for the outcome, which was grim

I'd imagine given Harvey Elliott has said 'definitely wasn't even a card' it will be overturned.

5 hours ago, StanSP said:

I do like a big challenge like that lol

If it was up to me that’s a foul and no more, gets his foot on the ball but the follow-through is a tad forceful. In the modern day I’m surprised he wasn’t given a yellow though. 

29 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Some weird decisions on red cards this season 

Perez's and Struijk's given and then Tarkowski's (who was the one with the most aggression and dangerous) is nothing. Not sure the letting play flow thing is really helping. 

For the record I don't think any of them are reds. 

Generally speaking, I think the idea of letting the game flow a bit more is a good idea (and I think most fans would agree)

The issue is that the media narrative on tackling is often set by ex-pros sitting in television studios 

Because they used to be professionals themselves, and sometimes because they actually know the players involved, they are (perhaps understandably) more inclined to be pro-safety 

Will be interesting if players from some of the bigger clubs (who are typically over-represented in the sports media) get injured, whether referees come under pressure to be more cautious 

1 hour ago, Devonfox1884 said:

I do like a big challenge like that lol

If it was up to me that’s a foul and no more, gets his foot on the ball but the follow-through is a tad forceful. In the modern day I’m surprised he wasn’t given a yellow though. 

Reminds me of Walshie in the play off final on David Hopkin lol

At 1:06:16

Edited by MrsJohnMurphy
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yep, remember that and the cheers it got too. Right in front of us as well. 

Found it on my PC

Ben Mee tackle for us v QPR

• Like 1