Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

15 hours ago, Hoopla10 said:

Just so I'm up to speed, it's like snooker, you MUST always have one foot on the ground at all times? What does "not in control" mean? Are sliding tackles out now? 

Hahah this was going to be my point. It's like they think that if you have contact with the floor that automatically means that players can stop still with millisecond decision making lol

The scary thing is that people actually buy into it.

12 hours ago, jammie82uk said:

Nothing technical there is just this law 12 

“Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.”

I am absolutely fine with this if every instance is punished the same. Unfortunately it's only when a player gets injured that this "law" is enforced. All they're doing is punishing results and not the act

33 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

We laugh but their stadium situation is a great cautionary tale to the people that want Top to expand the KP at a disproportionate rate. 

People like to mock Man City like they were Blyth Spartans or something before the money and superstars turned up. They've been almost our doppelganger throughout nearly all of history.

They had a solid 25k-35k fanbase there but you don't just magically double your attendances in a decade regardless the circumstances. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

We laugh but their stadium situation is a great cautionary tale to the people that want Top to expand the KP at a disproportionate rate. 

People like to mock Man City like they were Blyth Spartans or something before the money and superstars turned up. They've been almost our doppelganger throughout nearly all of history.

They had a solid 25k-35k fanbase there but you don't just magically double your attendances in a decade regardless the circumstances. 

Their solid fanbase wasn’t just when things were ok - I wonder what our attendance would be if we were relegated and not competing for promotion ?  20k? 

Man City had a bigger rump than that

thats why an extension to 40k is sensible 

13 hours ago, jmono84 said:

I’d argue it wasn’t excessive. The ref didn’t think so at the time so that should say a lot! I think it was a reasonable honest attempt to win the ball not like Pogba’s challenge against Neves few weeks back. Pogbas challenge was a lot lot worse and nothing happened. The rules isn’t the issue here, it’s the officials and FA who only seem to punish the lesser teams in the league.

Bleurgh... this does my head in. Grown men and their embarrassing conspiracy theories which, no matter how many times you can point to examples/stats that show the opposite, still get peddled on here at the rate of a dozen a day.

Here's the rule again, with part of it highlighted;

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.”

So you're right, the rule isn't the issue here. There isn't an issue at all because based on the rule it was a valid red card.

If the ref did change his mind it was because of the obvious severity of the injury (a fairly useful indicator I think of whether the challenge endangered the safety of the player), not because it was a Leeds player who made the tackle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turtmcfly said:

Bleurgh... this does my head in. Grown men and their embarrassing conspiracy theories which, no matter how many times you can point to examples/stats that show the opposite, still get peddled on here at the rate of a dozen a day.

Here's the rule again, with part of it highlighted;

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.”

So you're right, the rule isn't the issue here. There isn't an issue at all because based on the rule it was a valid red card.

If the ref did change his mind it was because of the obvious severity of the injury (a fairly useful indicator I think of whether the challenge endangered the safety of the player), not because it was a Leeds player who made the tackle.

Whilst it may not be valid in this instance, a player who legitimately challenges an opponent who injures himself getting his studs caught in the turf is surely not ‘endangering the safety of his opponent’. There is a risk of the boundaries becoming muddied …..

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Whilst it may not be valid in this instance, a player who legitimately challenges an opponent who injures himself getting his studs caught in the turf is surely not ‘endangering the safety of his opponent’. There is a risk of the boundaries becoming muddied …..

I'm not particularly arsed by the 'did the ref get it right' calls. I do think that, given it's a rule that's not based on measurement, but requires interpretation, the boundaries are by definition 'muddied'.

Of course (and this is what does exercise me), this is handy for the posters who sieze upon every interpration of a rule that is to the benefit of a 'big team' or to the detriment of a 'little team' (while completely ignoring those that do the opposite) as proof of Machiavellian institutional bias. One day one of them will respond to my requests to explain the workings of the cabal of puppeteers and their matchday-official minions, but so far it's been [crickets]. 

I note that on the previous page you agreed (and implied we all agree) with a post that imagined it was a Liverpool player who got sent off, for the purpose of further imagining the card would have been rescinded because cabal thing goes here. At least one of us doesn't agree, and doesn't feel the immediate need to stretch to a double supposition to make themselves feel.... what, exactly?

11 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

I'm not particularly arsed by the 'did the ref get it right' calls. I do think that, given it's a rule that's not based on measurement, but requires interpretation, the boundaries are by definition 'muddied'.

Of course (and this is what does exercise me), this is handy for the posters who sieze upon every interpration of a rule that is to the benefit of a 'big team' or to the detriment of a 'little team' (while completely ignoring those that do the opposite) as proof of Machiavellian institutional bias. One day one of them will respond to my requests to explain the workings of the cabal of puppeteers and their matchday-official minions, but so far it's been [crickets]. 

I note that on the previous page you agreed (and implied we all agree) with a post that imagined it was a Liverpool player who got sent off, for the purpose of further imagining the card would have been rescinded because cabal thing goes here. At least one of us doesn't agree, and doesn't feel the immediate need to stretch to a double supposition to make themselves feel.... what, exactly?

I don’t agree with the ‘big club conspiracy theory’ that exits on this forum BUT I’m pretty comfortable in agreeing that had it been the other way around, a Liverpool player would have seen their red card rescinded.  (Yes I know that appears contradictory) 

son saw his red (when he pushed Andre Gomes) rescinded. surely he endangered the safety of his opponent in shoving him towards a challenge of a team mate ?? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Agreed, it's certainly not nailed on we'll fill a 40k stadium every week.

I must have missed this back and forth with Pep and Man City fans. Seemingly a lot of Man City fans are unhappy with his comments about asking fans to come to the stadium to support the team. Very weird overall. 

Edited by Koke

I don't disagree with Pep as such - but the cost of following Man City a season must be a big whack, they tend to go far in three cup competitions + 19 league games on top of that, it's not gonna be cheap.

You'll get the odd day tripper they wouldn't have had before but evening out the proportion of blue : red in Manchester and growing a fanbase is a virtually a generational thing.

Pep had the temerity to ask that Man City supporters turn up to support Man City. Cheek of the man. Man City supporters rightly took the hump, 'you don't tell us who to support' they said. 

Like I care, either way. Maybe Man City could look at ticket prices if they want a full house for less fancied games.

1 minute ago, drumbeat said:

Pep had the temerity to ask that Man City supporters turn up to support Man City. Cheek of the man. Man City supporters rightly took the hump, 'you don't tell us who to support' they said. 

Like I care, either way. Maybe Man City could look at ticket prices if they want a full house for less fancied games.

They already have the cheapest ticket prices in the league, I’m not sure that’s the issue. They pull big crowds, bigger than the vast majority of clubs could the only issue they have is that their owners expanded the ground too quick. 

2 minutes ago, drumbeat said:

Pretty cheap prices for games at Man city. 

Man City just aren't a huge club like their rivals. You'd think with the massive success they've had for the last decade there would be a long queue for tickets irrespective of ticket prices. 

6 minutes ago, Koke said:

Man City just aren't a huge club like their rivals. You'd think with the massive success they've had for the last decade there would be a long queue for tickets irrespective of ticket prices. 

I’m guessing they are one of them clubs that 90% of the fan base are from greater Manchester, were the likes of Man U Liverpool Arsenal Chelsea even Spurs, Everton and Leeds I’d say have more fans all over the country