Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

Just now, Countryfox said:

Looked impressive to me grumble ..

Och it was good. But I listened to the game on the radio and everyone went insane over it then they were saying “was it the best of the premier league era” and one guy saying it was better than Bergkamp’s goal so I think when I saw the highlights it kinda let me down a little. X 

1 minute ago, RumbleFox said:

Och it was good. But I listened to the game on the radio and everyone went insane over it then they were saying “was it the best of the premier league era” and one guy saying it was better than Bergkamp’s goal so I think when I saw the highlights it kinda let me down a little. X 

Ahh ..  can see what you’re getting at now ..  :thumbup:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I honestly thought it was insanely good. Goal of the season contender for sure but Premier league era is a stretch. I found goals like that much more impressive than a 30 yard pot shot

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I honestly thought it was insanely good. Goal of the season contender for sure but Premier league era is a stretch. I found goals like that much more impressive than a 30 yard pot shot

Oh yeah me too. I think it was a case of expectations being too high. It’s like Inception. Ruined it for myself before I even saw it. 

• Like 1

Personally thought the Hazard goal at Anfield was better. Marginally at least. I know it was in the league Cup against the likes of Moreno and Mignolet buy still... 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t think Salah’s goal was all that? X 

It's a subjective call but I think the commentators are going way over the top about this one. I'd say that every Premier League goal of the season is the equal of and in most cases better. 

However, it will be remembered as it was scored at Anfield where we are told that it means more. Makes you want to spit. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, trabuch said:

We've got supposedly the best league - probably the richest. Our referees are absolutely shite. I still blame Mike Riley. I'm convinced he hates football.

Part of the problem is that they’ve never played the game. They try to follow the rules in a book. 

if there was a path into being ref like there is to being a coach or pundit we’d be surprised by how quickly it improves. 

so many poor decisions happen because refs don’t understand the momentum of playing the sport. 

It’s just not glamorous enough for ex pros to do it 

49 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Part of the problem is that they’ve never played the game. They try to follow the rules in a book. 

if there was a path into being ref like there is to being a coach or pundit we’d be surprised by how quickly it improves. 

so many poor decisions happen because refs don’t understand the momentum of playing the sport. 

It’s just not glamorous enough for ex pros to do it 

Is that really the case because I doubt many overseas refs have been players and they seem far superior?

When I listen to ex-players excusing and justifying cynical obstructions and he's took a touch so is entitled to go down then I'm certainly not convinced they'd be any better, different but not better by default.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

Is that really the case because I doubt many overseas refs have been players and they seem far superior?

When I listen to ex-players excusing and justifying cynical obstructions and he's took a touch so is entitled to go down then I'm certainly not convinced they'd be any better, different but not better by default.

You must have missed most of our European games if you think the refs are superior :D

• Haha 2

The euros were decent that’s why the refs got a big slap on the back but one good tournament doesn’t prove euro refs are great. In the contrary we’ve already seen with our games so far how bad the standard is.

25 minutes ago, filbertway said:

You must have missed most of our European games if you think the refs are superior :D

Maybe, it's all subjective lie the Laws but the point I was making was I don't think ex-players would bring an improvement.

30 minutes ago, davieG said:

Are they superior though? Look at the Napoli game. I think there are poor refs all over the place. 

The big competitions (euros) may appear better but that’s because they are taking all of the best from each league. Across the board I’m sure they are as bad as what we have. 

It’s a really tough job, I’ve given it a try before. But that’s why common sense is needed and a lot of that common sense comes from someone who understands the game.

I just think someone like Stan collymore would understand what a defender is actually trying to do, compared to a ref who just looks at a slowed down version of a tackle and assumes there was dangerous intent.  Football is a game of opinions so there will always be arguments on decisions but the smarter ex pros out there would probably get more right than wrong. 

13 minutes ago, IsItMuzzy said:

Ranieri back in the Premier League again. Hope it goes well for him but fear he won’t last too long. 

Given Watford's track record, he'll be lucky to still be there by New Year.  Hope it goes well for him but it's not a job you take as a long term opportunity.