Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

The Newcastle United takeover is absolutely massive news.  Their new backers possess more wealth than the rest of the leagues owners combined.  

Truly scary for the likes of us but it just shows the Premier League keeps getting bigger and bigger. 

No wonder the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus cry themselves to sleep every night thinking of what might have been with the Super League.

Right about now Newcastle are probably one of the three worst teams in the league. The take over would have to happen pretty quickly, then swapping the manager all before January, where it is really hard to bring in quality players. 
Newcastle could be the richest team to ever play in the Championship next season. - although look out for dodgy penalties and VAR calls towards the end of the season.

6 hours ago, chapero82 said:

It’s pocket change compared to them lol 

E74AB595-9269-4BD3-807F-1D9CAA15CC4A.jpeg

Am I correct in thinking Roman Abramovich is the only owner on that list to have won a Champions League?

Money isn’t everything, though that wealth is obscene! 
I think I would rather be away at Scunthorpe in League One than be owned by someone with that sort of wealth. I don’t want to be associated with any of their success.

The other thing is, there are only so many elite level players going around - we are crazy to think the worlds greatest players are going to walk out of Madrid, Barcelona, Munich, Paris and London to move to Newcastle. 
They won’t have Champions League or even European football for a few season, and the best players want to be playing at the highest level.

Are Newcastle really going to pay that much more than Man City or Chelsea.

I think this is going to end very badly 

6 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

The fact that Arsenal have a richer owner than PSG says it all. Money doesn’t mean everything. 

Money largely does mean everything. 

Arsenal are still a mess because Kroenke has no interest in investing. The majority of the American owners are businessmen who are looking to make money from the clubs they own. They want profit for themselves personally and they don't want to inject their own capital in to the clubs. 

He may have a higher net worth than PSG's president (which is only half the story) but he doesn't opt to use it. 

Where as almost every Arab oil state that owns a football club does so as a vanity project and for sportswashing. Saudi will have no interest in Newcastle being a mid table mess. They'll want star names and trophies.

Besides, that table is wrong. PSG isn't owned by Al-Khelaifi, he's just the president. Its owned by Qatar masquerading as a private business in exactly the same way Newcastle is about to be owned by Saudi Arabia. This whole "investment authority" is an absolute scam, its ludicrous they're able to get away with it but both of them do. 

PSG have far more than 6 billion behind them. They're worth about 300 billion. 

Man City being listed as owned by Sheikh Mansour and his own personal wealth is also wrong, they're owned by the City Football Group who are in turn owned by Abu Dhabi's investment and "public development" group. 

It's just these monarchies turn their treasuries in to private companies so they can make pretend they're honest businesses. I don't know exactly what Abu Dhabi's is worth but I assume also hundreds of billions. 

Edited by Finnegan

2 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

The other thing is, there are only so many elite level players going around - we are crazy to think the worlds greatest players are going to walk out of Madrid, Barcelona, Munich, Paris and London to move to Newcastle. 
They won’t have Champions League or even European football for a few season, and the best players want to be playing at the highest level.

Are Newcastle really going to pay that much more than Man City or Chelsea.

I think this is going to end very badly 

They will when the money is massive and they can game financial fair play.

Look how creative they'll be.

At least Newcastle can get their main transfer target now lol

Newcastle takeover could start domino effect involving Leicester City

A major hurdle has been cleared for the takeover of Newcastle United to take place, and it could have a knock-on effect for Leicester City.

The takeover will fill Steve Bruce's transfer coffers to levels unheard of in recent years under Mike Ashley, giving him a greater chance of going in for the players he wants.

One such player on his list in Leicester midfielder Hamza Choudhury, for whom a deadline day loan move to St James' Park broke down in the summer.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Would be funny if they got relegated after they took over and languished in EFL for a few seasons. 

It will be fascinating to see how it goes. On the one hand, there's lots of talk about how six into four didn't go, and now seven into four makes it even worse, but this is a hugely different world to that of 2008 and Manchester City.

Newcastle need to build from a base of zero to get to any sort of top seven competing. The initial financial outlay to get there will be astronomical, especially as the behind-the-scenes structure isn't there. It's a case of spending £300 million on a derelict mansion, you're going to have to strip it back and start from scratch.

This will take time, and years, and it'll entirely depend on who they appoint to run the club. What's their strategy? Will they go big and hire every big name player and manager to compete with the big teams? Will they build slowly? What happens if they flounder and get relegated?

As much as it's awful to see yet another state come in (especially this one) and own a football club, further separating the game from it's core, the future of NUFC will be so interesting to watch.

Last thing we need is another club with money competing for the top 6. Add Newcastle to the clubs we're gonna compete with for players and league positions. It's not good. 

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Money largely does mean everything. 

Arsenal are still a mess because Kroenke has no interest in investing. The majority of the American owners are businessmen who are looking to make money from the clubs they own. They want profit for themselves personally and they don't want to inject their own capital in to the clubs. 

He may have a higher net worth than PSG's president (which is only half the story) but he doesn't opt to use it. 

Where as almost every Arab oil state that owns a football club does so as a vanity project and for sportswashing. Saudi will have no interest in Newcastle being a mid table mess. They'll want star names and trophies.

Besides, that table is wrong. PSG isn't owned by Al-Khelaifi, he's just the president. Its owned by Qatar masquerading as a private business in exactly the same way Newcastle is about to be owned by Saudi Arabia. This whole "investment authority" is an absolute scam, its ludicrous they're able to get away with it but both of them do. 

PSG have far more than 6 billion behind them. They're worth about 300 billion. 

Man City being listed as owned by Sheikh Mansour and his own personal wealth is also wrong, they're owned by the City Football Group who are in turn owned by Abu Dhabi's investment and "public development" group. 

It's just these monarchies turn their treasuries in to private companies so they can make pretend they're honest businesses. I don't know exactly what Abu Dhabi's is worth but I assume also hundreds of billions. 

Weren't Arsenal the biggest spenders this season? Agree previously Kroenke hasn't invested enough but I think Arsenal's woes have been more a function of a poorly run club rather than investment. 

Just because they have a mega rich owner doesn’t mean they will go mental in the transfer market. Wolves are a mega rich, mid-table side. A lot of these people see owning a club as a form of soft power. Reputation laundering. I know Newcastle is an order of magnitude more than any other club in the world, but still.

Edited by FoxesWalk

With all that money Newcastle will eventually have success, but it depends how they spend it that will decide when they get the success. If they're clever they look to build gradually season on season with a clear plan in place.

What they'll probably do is sign a load of players that one manager wants. Sack that manager after 18 months and have a load of journeymen that don't suit the next manager. It'll take them a few years to learn their lesson, in which time hopefully we've secured ourselves as a team that's lookining at 65+ points a season.

6 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

Just because they have a mega rich owner doesn’t mean they will go mental in the transfer market. Wolves are a mega rich, mid-table side. A lot of these people see owning a club as a form of soft power. Reputation laundering. I know Newcastle is an order of magnitude more than any other club in the world, but still.

There's 0 chance Saudi buy a football club only to have it sit in mid table. 

Saudi and Qatar are big rivals, they're not going to want Newcastle to be shit while PSG have Messi, Neymar and Co. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted some of this in the other thread, so apololgies for repeating myself, but...

The truth is that the ship has sailed in terms of ownership in the prem. Man City and Chelsea are the most extreme examples, and it looks like Newcastle are going to join them in the upper reaches of circumventing FFP, but not many clubs are radically different now - including us. Effectively premier league football, IE, the regionally specific English game of kicking a ball around, has become a locus for hugely powerful international entities (states, pretty shady businesses, etc) to garner soft power and extend their global reach - for all sorts of reasons. Its truly, genuinely odd, but its already happened. 

Strangely enough, Mike Ashley will end up being the last of a certain type of owner who was at least dimly connected to the culture of the club - a moderately wealthy working class British businessman 'done good,' a la Allan Sugar, Jack Walker, etc. And yet, he's hated, largely because he's not rich enough. 

On the one hand, it makes it harder for us in the coming years. On the other, and I know this is irrational, anything that challenges the boring dominance of Man City isn't totally unwelcome.