Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

Not sure that the Newcastle news is the game changer that some are making out. Firstly, they're a club who's heritage pre-dates WWII so aren't a team that has simply struggled in recent years and benefit from a world renowned reputation/nor are or ever have been a European super power. In addition a lot are forgetting that putting the club to one side they're located in a deprived part of the country which is not very cosmopolitan, not near any major cities which could offer a young player/couple the luxuries of life for those with extreme wealth, it's one of the furtherest points from London and a long commute, and to top it off is freezing cold 80% of the time.

People will obviously say that money talks and you can live with these things if enough cash is offered, however there's only a finite number of truly elite players and the second Newcastle show any interest you can guarantee that Man City, Man United, Chelsea, PSG, Madrid, Juve, etc. who all have equally deep pockets will express interest in said player's offering very similar terms. From the players perspective it then comes down to whether they want to go to a city where they feel comfortable (possibly living around friends playing at other clubs), experience the playboy lifestyle if they're single or keep the other half happy with elite designer goods, have easy access to mainland Europe, and live in an diverse/inclusive environment, or... whether they'd happily exchange all of that for a run down former industrialised city in the middle of nowhere offering none of the above.

At the end of the day success in football largely comes down to who has the best players. If the very top players don't fancy Newcastle as a location they'll be lumbered with the next tier down. Whilst that'll undoubtedly be a massive improvement on what they currently have I think the reality will be that they're more like to be competing with us, Tottenham, Everton, and West Ham rather than City, United, Chelsea, and Liverpool. 

Edited by ian__marshall

Newcastle were in the Champions League in the early 2000s I guess for them it’s about consolidated success similar to us. I doubt they will go all guns blazing galatico style but signing promising young players that have the potential to be world class is probably the way they are going to do things

53 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

The truth is that the ship has sailed in terms of ownership in the prem.

I don't really disagree with this but I'm still depressed by it. 

If you don't draw a line at Saudi Arabia, you almost don't draw a line anywhere. And it's the realisation of that that's got me down. There's a difference between knowing something subconsciously and seeing it laid out in front of you. 

Short of Everton being bought out by the Taliban or Kim Jon Un becoming majority shareholder at Villa, it can't actually get much worse, ethically. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

There's 0 chance Saudi buy a football club only to have it sit in mid table. 

Saudi and Qatar are big rivals, they're not going to want Newcastle to be shit while PSG have Messi, Neymar and Co. 

You are probably correct, but it’s a possibility.

Agree it’s likely they will spend. In 10 years time Genocide FC will probably be the most hated club in the land.  

Youri Tielemans is going to move to Newcastle isn't he :nono:

So much hypocrisy from some Newcastle fans, but it will be the same for most supporters. Hate money until its their club that has it. Be hilarious if they got relegated this year before the impact of their money takeover. 

I wonder if Steve Bruce really believes he's going to have any opportunity to spend this money lol 

46 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I don't really disagree with this but I'm still depressed by it. 

If you don't draw a line at Saudi Arabia, you almost don't draw a line anywhere. And it's the realisation of that that's got me down. There's a difference between knowing something subconsciously and seeing it laid out in front of you. 

Short of Everton being bought out by the Taliban or Kim Jon Un becoming majority shareholder at Villa, it can't actually get much worse, ethically. 

Pretty sure the Taliban were funded by and originated in Saudi Arabia, Bin Laden  himself and his very wealthy family being from there too. 

• Like 2

Delighted for them and their fans, it's my families team and only my loyalty to where I was born stopped it from being mine, so look out for them more than anyone else.

If we'd put up with what they have for the last decade and a half, we'd be just as delighted and delirious as they are today.

Messages in here seem pretty civil so far, but one thing I would say is don't judge them on their reactions to todays news, it's bound to be over the top and showing off... take it with a pinch of salt.

They're a good bunch and the majority I know absolutely love us as a club and look up to us as what they want! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Master Fox said:

Pretty sure the Taliban were funded by and originated in Saudi Arabia, Bin Laden  himself and his very wealthy family being from there too. 

There is little difference between Saudi state buying a club and Taliban buying a club in my eyes, Saudi is just richer and arguably more genocidal. The Taliban is a state now, they have very similar social “policies”. 

But we (U.K.) provide bombs, equipment, planes, training and support for Saudi-led genocide in Yemen, so we can’t really go preaching what they can and can’t buy with their money I guess. 

I was surprised it didn’t go ahead in the first place tbh, let’s not pretend the people allowing these deals actually care outside of the financial implications and optics of it. It likely only fell over because of the piracy concerns as it has an impact of premier league finances.

Edited by FoxesWalk
  • Like 3

Just now, AjcW said:

Delighted for them and their fans, it's my families team and only my loyalty to where I was born stopped it from being mine, so look out for them more than anyone else.

If we'd put up with what they have for the last decade and a half, we'd be just as delighted and delirious as they are today.

Messages in here seem pretty civil so far, but one thing I would say is don't judge them on their reactions to todays news, it's bound to be over the top and showing off... take it with a pinch of salt.

They're a good bunch and the majority I know absolutely love us as a club and look up to us as what they want! 

Oh right yeah, ‘putting up with’ years of first and second division football is so horrifyingly bad and is enough for us all to congratulate them on being bought out by a morally corrupt state.

Remember they became the joke they are today not only because of Mike Ashley but their fans’ whinging attitude and ‘woe is me’ response to finishing mid to lower league every year. The party line about being a historically big club and how they deserve to be better is utter crap; not least because their lack of success probably propelled us too over the last couple of years, bringing other clubs to the table in the Premier League in the process.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

I’d think they’d take anyone over Mike Ashley no matter how morally bankrupt they might be ..

I dunno mate your lot have gone through managers like it’s toilet paper and it’s ultimately left you with a shit show on your hands.

Are you trading in the Pozzos for a super state if offered?

Edited by KFS

4 hours ago, rico said:

At least Newcastle can get their main transfer target now lol

Newcastle takeover could start domino effect involving Leicester City

A major hurdle has been cleared for the takeover of Newcastle United to take place, and it could have a knock-on effect for Leicester City.

The takeover will fill Steve Bruce's transfer coffers to levels unheard of in recent years under Mike Ashley, giving him a greater chance of going in for the players he wants.

One such player on his list in Leicester midfielder Hamza Choudhury, for whom a deadline day loan move to St James' Park broke down in the summer.

If that isnt a statement of intent I dont know what is

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, KFS said:

Oh right yeah, ‘putting up with’ years of first and second division football is so horrifyingly bad and is enough for us all to congratulate them on being bought out by a morally corrupt state.

Remember they became the joke they are today not only because of Mike Ashley but their fans’ whinging attitude and ‘woe is me’ response to finishing mid to lower league every year. The party line about being a historically big club and how they deserve to be better is utter crap; not least because their lack of success probably propelled us too over the last couple of years, bringing other clubs to the table in the Premier League in the process.

But you can't deny we'd be acting exactly the same if our last 15 years had been under Ashley and not KP... even if we had been in the Prem/Champ all that time.

Sorry but you just can't, simple as that.

Just now, AjcW said:

But you can't deny we'd be acting exactly the same if our last 15 years had been under Ashley and not KP... even if we had been in the Prem/Champ all that time.

If we'd spent 15 years fairly consistently in the Premier League we might have some discontentment for our owners if they truly were scum but we wouldn't have anywhere near the complex that Newcastle and West Ham do. 

The entitlement from their lot is just off the charts. We'd be delighted just to be in the top flight for that long tbh. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KFS said:

I dunno mate your lot have gone through managers like it’s toilet paper and it’s ultimately left you with a shit show on your hands.

Are you trading in the Pozzos for a super state if offered?

Think most of our fans are quite happy with the Pozzos tbh .

Going by the reaction on our forums they probably wouldn’t..

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

If we'd spent 15 years fairly consistently in the Premier League we might have some discontentment for our owners if they truly were scum but we wouldn't have anywhere near the complex that Newcastle and West Ham do. 

The entitlement from their lot is just off the charts. We'd be delighted just to be in the top flight for that long tbh. 

I've had this conversation with you many times before, I know it's a losing battle. It's typical football fan tribalism thinking we'd be better at dealing with something than someone else.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AjcW said:

What’s Ashley done wrong for them from a pure football club ownership standpoint? Sold their players (fleeced us in the process) and bought decent ones in return (ASM for example)… Got managers in to keep them in the division, which, for a club that’s faltering like theirs is an achievement frankly. Yet again it’s a deluded fan base using previous victories to pump up their expectations and now they’ve so got their wish… at what cost?

2 minutes ago, Lcfc82 said:

Won’t be good news for us if it goes through.

I see sky are absolutely loving it, they will be desperate to make them part of there soon to be formed “ Big 7 “

Yeah of course mate. We’re gone now. Back end of last season it was Leicester in the mix and now we’re an after thought. Sooner we can get Sky Sports, Twitter fans, VAR and dodgy ownership out of this game the better it’ll be.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AjcW said:

My mate's bouncing off the wall this morning, he's already stuck a hefty amount on them finishing top half at 16/1 lol

There'll be a big party at St James tonight if it's announced today.

14 hours ago, chapero82 said:

E74AB595-9269-4BD3-807F-1D9CAA15CC4A.jpeg

Wolves are owned by Fosun, also an investment company, not Guo Guangchang personally. They could at least get his name right too! 

Newcastle having loads of money is no guarantee they'll be able to spend it all on the team. They still have to adhere to the flimsy 3 year FFP rules. 

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Wolves are owned by Fosun, also an investment company, not Guo Guangchang personally. They could at least get his name right too! 

Newcastle having loads of money is no guarantee they'll be able to spend it all on the team. They still have to adhere to the flimsy 3 year FFP rules. 

Yeah like Inter are owned by sunning who have revenue over a hundred billion. That table is very misleading giving Newcastle the value of the company/fund and everyone else the individuals value.

Edited by peach0000

1 hour ago, KFS said:

What’s Ashley done wrong for them from a pure football club ownership standpoint? Sold their players (fleeced us in the process) and bought decent ones in return (ASM for example)… Got managers in to keep them in the division, which, for a club that’s faltering like theirs is an achievement frankly. Yet again it’s a deluded fan base using previous victories to pump up their expectations and now they’ve so got their wish… at what cost?

Newcastle fans' issues with Ashley aren't that he's not rich enough, but more that after his initial burst of optimism ended with him falling out with Keegan his approach has been to run it like Sports Direct and tried to cost cut everything (including basic decency around when Gutierrez had cancer). They've gone way down the list in terms of commerical income, it's hardly increased while sponsorship deals and the like have skyrocketed for everyone else. It's not like it's being run well but outmuscled, it's choosing to extract value rather than allow for reinvesting the profits they make. The reason you'd describe them as 'faltering' is down to how it's been run; their previous finishes before he took over were 4th, 3rd, 5th, 14th, 7th. Since then, they've been relegated twice.

I'm sure there's some who only see it in terms of not having any big splashy transfers, but the guys I've spoken to all see it as more the general malaise that comes with trying to achieve 17th as cheaply as possible rather than trying to make progress or  achieve anything, and would have seen a steady attempt to get back to the top based on reinvesting money generated from healthy growth as a perfectly acceptable process and were happy with Benitez (who then quit and blamed Ashley).

Wanting Ashley out is a different thing from wanting the Saudis in.

• Like 1