Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

Just now, Cardiff_Fox said:

Tbf it’s exactly what Man City did and it worked. Three years of some pretty run of the mill signings and manager. Then unleash Mancini and the step up in player. It gave them the core of Kompany etc to build an actual proper team from them 

Exactly what I meant. Signing Barry, Given etc who were good players at that time but now they can sign better. 

People were talking as if they're gonna be a force overnight and my point initially was that it ain't gonna happen. I'm still on the fence in terms of this "project" working out in the long term.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Exactly what I meant. Signing Barry, Given etc who were good players at that time but now they can sign better. 

People were talking as if they're gonna be a force overnight and my point initially was that it ain't gonna happen. I'm still on the fence in terms of this "project" working out in the long term.

Peak Gareth Barry would be close to the Man City first team imho

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

I think they'll be tapping up every unhappy player at the big clubs and tapping up every player who believes they should be playing for a bigger club than they are presently. Outside the established World class players, I think Newcastle will appeal as an exciting opportunity and will lure a significantly better quality of players than they currently have. It'll only take one genuinely World class player to think 'sod it, why not' and others will follow too. Money will talk to some players also. All of which means it's likely they'll line up with a pretty decent team next season after two transfer windows. 

We've secured 5th place for two seasons in a row, but positions 5 to 7 are far from certainties for any club. I think Newcastle could pretty quickly join us, Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham, Everton, none of which, barring us, have been particularly consistent in fighting for those positions. That could happen next season, in all honesty. Of course, they could keep making bad decisions and delay any rise up the table, but they now have enough money to laugh off mistakes with their cheque book and buy another 5 defenders until they get it right, just like Pep does (great manager, but helped hugely by the money available). 

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

By ‘they’, you mean ‘we’.

U.K. companies make profits and pay taxes here.  it’s a bit sh1t isn’t it …… but it’s the reality of politics and the way the world goes around. I guess football is big business - that ship has sailed and the consequence of this take over is that the fit and proper rules that now exist will be extended to encompass this. BUT, I’m pretty sure that this surely won’t be something that can actually be enforced with regimes that we have normal relations with. 

2 hours ago, Charl91 said:

Is it 'we'? Or do you know if peach0000 is willing to arm the Saudi regime? 

I know I'm not, it's just unfortunate that none of the government (which I didn't vote for) cares to ask my opinion. 

I don’t live in the UK so I’m a little bit removed from what the UK government does as my taxes don’t go to them etc. So I think they was a fine term for me to use.

1 hour ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

I think they'll be tapping up every unhappy player at the big clubs and tapping up every player who believes they should be playing for a bigger club than they are presently. Outside the established World class players, I think Newcastle will appeal as an exciting opportunity and will lure a significantly better quality of players than they currently have. It'll only take one genuinely World class player to think 'sod it, why not' and others will follow too. Money will talk to some players also. All of which means it's likely they'll line up with a pretty decent team next season after two transfer windows. 

Think this is pretty spot on actually. They'll be hitting those players from mid table clubs wanting to try their luck at a "bigger" team likely to push upwards or your upper team players who get little game time. 

Would see Newcastle step up to upper middle table to continue their push. 

They have a lot of off pitch infrastructure to completely renovate before they're able to push too much. Training ground for instance is a massive one, Shearer on BBC said that had maybe got a bit of paint over last few years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Think this is pretty spot on actually. They'll be hitting those players from mid table clubs wanting to try their luck at a "bigger" team likely to push upwards or your upper team players who get little game time. 

Would see Newcastle step up to upper middle table to continue their push. 

They have a lot of off pitch infrastructure to completely renovate before they're able to push too much. Training ground for instance is a massive one, Shearer on BBC said that had maybe got a bit of paint over last few years. 

Yes they'll basically be in the market for the same players as Leicester but will be able to pay more on fees and salaries.

2 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Sterling and Coutinho as wing backs... lol

It's more likely they'll re-signing Mitrovic or and signing players such as Ben Arfa, Cavani and Willian; than them signing highly-rated players who are good at this level but also are at an age where they can offer more over time.

Even though highly-rated players will, of course, be tempted by high-wage offers this new ownership will very likely provide; am sure they'll have to go to a club with genuine ambition and is managed well - and it's yet to be seen whether the club is, with regards to the latter.

I'd be quite nervous if I was a Newcastle United fan, to be honest, with these owners.

Edited by Wymsey

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

It's more likely they'll re-signing Mitrovic or and signing players such as Ben Arfa, Cavani and Willian; than them signing highly-rated players who are good at this level but also are at an age where they can offer more over time.

Even though highly-rated players will, of course, be tempted by high-wage offers this new ownership will very likely provide; am sure they'll have to go to a club with genuine ambition and is managed well - and it's yet to be seen whether the club is, with regards to the latter.

I'd be quite nervous if I was a Newcastle United fan, to be honest, with these owners.

I agree with you.

Something just doesn’t seem right with it, a too good to be true scenario. 

Not to mention they’re in genuine danger of going down. Probably more hope than insight, but I can see it all unraveling for them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

I wouldn’t, they’ve got that much dough that it’s inevitable that they’re gonna get it right. 

Yes, but look at Mel Morris claiming to put around £200m of his own money into Derby and how they've fared..

Green isn't always greener on the other side etc.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Yes, but look at Mel Morris claiming to put around £200m of his own money into Derby and how they've fared..

Green isn't always greener on the other side etc.

57185033. sy475

• Haha 1