Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

11 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Our KP deal was done at market rate in the Championship and stayed at that rate for 10 years, even after we won the league. I think it was about £4m a year, which was fine for the Championship but really bad for a top 5 Premier League team.

What Man City's owners did was get sponsorship deals with UAE companies that they either owned or were close to, injected their own money into those deals at a much higher rate than their competitors. In some cases 90% of the money in deals came from the owners and not the company. They also used their wealth to pay lawyers millions to fight every single minutia of the cases with UEFA, FA & PL. CAS overturned UEFA's punishment because while they had absolutely broken the rules, their crimes were time-barred and therefore the punishment couldn't be given. That's after they obfuscated UEFA at every step for 5 years and there are leaked emails that prove it. They've also been fighting the PL for 2 and a half years now, blocking every single part of the process and generally being uncooperative cheating twats. 2 months ago they lost a ruling that meant the legal dispute couldn't be a secret any more. They've spent more on lawyers than we did on Tielemans.

And Newcastle's new owners are FOURTEEN TIMES wealthier than Mansour. They'd just do the exact same thing which is why the whole league is voting to stop them - except Man City who abstained for obvious reasons.

At commercial rates I have no prob.

It’s remarkably disgraceful the way Bruce was treated, all the stats and finishes pointed to the fact he was doing exactly what Rafa did on a much smaller wage - that’s not his fault either that’s Mike Ashley’s for being such a cheapskate, proper retail management strategy - “I’ll get someone to do the same job for a lot less money and we will still be fine” He achieved that the way he felt necessary.

I hope he has got a decent whack of cash to go and have some good times with his family. It’s especially bad that he is a Geordie himself, Newcastle fans need to have a look at themselves - they pretty much went after a man who was a scapegoat for Ashley, he was the problem and they made his whole tenure there so negative and oppressive it’s remarkable it didn’t destroy his health more than it has.

Got family ties with Newcastle so in theory they should be a, “soft spot” team for me but even before this Saudi takeover I was majorly put off by the way they handled themselves about it all.

The over the top sympathy Bruce gets is ****ing weird. He didn't get any more "abuse"that other under fire managers have gotten. Our very own Claude Puel got a torrent of abuse towards the end of his reign here, and I didn't see anybody stick up for him, and Puel is a million times better coach/manager than Bruce. Unai Emery also got in the neck a lot, and his English was mocked constantly. Didn't hear Simon Jordan or other talking heads calling out Arsenal fans or Leicester fans for their treatment of their manager. I'm sure I could name numerous other managers over the years as well. But somehow Bruce gets treated like he's the only manager who has it tough. He is hated because his football is dire and his tactics are useless. Thats all. 

He's not a good manager and who cares that he's a good man. ****ing hell. 

Edited by Koke
  • Like 1

When Bruce was at Villa, the Baggies fans came up with a great song about him getting cabbages thrown at him. 

To the tune of Rotterdam by Beautiful South:

"They've been to Rotterdam and everywhere, 

Liverpool and Rome, 
Now they're throwing cabbages...

Cabbages at home...

Cabbages at home"

Edited by The Bear
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Koke said:

The over the top sympathy Bruce gets is ****ing weird. He didn't get any more "abuse"that other under fire managers have gotten. Our very own Claude Puel got a torrent of abuse towards the end of his reign here, and I didn't see anybody stick up for him, and Puel is a million times better coach/manager than Bruce. Unai Emery also got in the neck a lot, and his English was mocked constantly. Didn't hear Simon Jordan or other talking heads calling out Arsenal fans or Leicester fans for their treatment of their manager. I'm sure I could name numerous other managers over the years as well. But somehow Bruce gets treated like he's the only manager who has it tough. He is hated because his football is dire and his tactics are useless. Thats all. 

I have a degree of sympathy for anyone who receives abuse for simply trying to do their job. As I've said previously though, Bruce doesn't do himself many favours and he loves nothing more than to play the victim card. 

4 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I have a degree of sympathy for anyone who receives abuse for simply trying to do their job. As I've said previously though, Bruce doesn't do himself many favours and he loves nothing more than to play the victim card. 

I don’t we nationally see a lot of his interviews which really rile up Newcastle fans. Apparently Villa and Wednesday fans said the same. He has a high opinion of himself which is aided by being very good friends with a number of journalists 

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I don’t we nationally see a lot of his interviews which really rile up Newcastle fans. Apparently Villa and Wednesday fans said the same. He has a high opinion of himself which is aided by being very good friends with a number of journalists 

Unless you're talking about self-belief which I'd expect any top flight player/manager to have, you're talking rubbish. One of the most down to earth and genuine people you'll ever meet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Unless you're talking about self-belief which I'd expect any top flight player/manager to have, you're talking rubbish. One of the most down to earth and genuine people you'll ever meet.

Well I haven’t put my name to three books effectively playing a character of myself. 

Im going off what I’ve been told by Villa fans mostly. Always has an excuse 

46 minutes ago, Koke said:

A good manager? Good heavens. 

Also all this poor Steve Bruce. A man who has been being payed for being rubbish at his job for years, who has undoubtedly been payed a lot for losing another job for being rubbish and will almost certainly be given another chance to be payed lots to be rubbish somewhere else. Give over.

49 minutes ago, Koke said:

i wonder why

Fr33ma50n

3 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Well I haven’t put my name to three books effectively playing a character of myself. 

Im going off what I’ve been told by Villa fans mostly. Always has an excuse 

I 'know' (was a long time ago) the bloke and was always remember he was willing to have a long chat with me as a teenager about Leicester having just been robbed by us earlier in the day by Elvis Hammond snatching a point. Raved about Muzzy Izzet amongst other things.

My neighbour was an ex pro called Buster Collins, and then a coach at Gillingham and Steve Bruce used to come down all the time to see him, would always phone etc. Even just randomly sent a bunch of Hull kits down to Buster's grandchildren for their 5 a side team. Small things but unsolicited and hardly the acts of a guy who's well up himself I'd say. Everyone who I know who knows him would only have good things to say.

• Like 2

It is the nature of the beast.

Football managers get the sack. Yeah some of the hate the bloke got was a bit over the top, and it was his dream job, but ultimately managers are judged on results and how their team play. 

The whole Newcastle take over doesn’t sit well with me if i’m honest. It’s all a bit dodgy, wouldn’t surprise me if someone’s been given a backhander at the FA to ensure it gets through.

It’d be sad if that is Bruce’s last job in football. I remember reading an article about how when he was at Wednesday he needed time away as his parents passed away. Wrote about how things went off the rails for him, quite interesting.

Bruce was lucky to get the job in the first place, having just failed with Villa in the Championship. Also with Gary Neville talking about employee rights, people can layed off when there is a takeover all the time, new owners want to imprint their own stamp and in any business redundancies or layoffs are expected. If they sell player x, y or z would everyone be in uproar? Doubt it! 

2 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Not sure which news agency was reporting it but their were rumours eddie howe had been offered the gig. That would actually make sense 

Why would it? Spent a fortune with Bournemouth and achieved nothing? 

Maybe to implement a nicer style of play in the short term

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Why would it? Spent a fortune with Bournemouth and achieved nothing? 

Maybe to implement a nicer style of play in the short term

It was always going to be a stop gap manager.  He fits better than Mark Hughes, more realistic than poaching someone from a better team.  

Edited by Lambert09

55 minutes ago, Mee-9 said:

It is the nature of the beast.

Football managers get the sack. Yeah some of the hate the bloke got was a bit over the top, and it was his dream job, but ultimately managers are judged on results and how their team play. 

The whole Newcastle take over doesn’t sit well with me if i’m honest. It’s all a bit dodgy, wouldn’t surprise me if someone’s been given a backhander at the FA to ensure it gets through.

It’d be sad if that is Bruce’s last job in football. I remember reading an article about how when he was at Wednesday he needed time away as his parents passed away. Wrote about how things went off the rails for him, quite interesting.

Nothing to do with the FA …. It’s the PL and no one at the PL is doing anything that the big six don’t want unless they can’t avoid the legal ramifications which is what happened with this take over ….

35 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Not sure which news agency was reporting it but their were rumours eddie howe had been offered the gig. That would actually make sense 

Would be a surprise to see Howe move that far north. He left Burnley as he missed the south coast so much. 

1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

The demise of Bruce should come as no surprise to anyone.

Apart from the shenanigans of Ashley and him not investing and then ultimately selling Club just look at Bruce's record there and it is pretty abysmal.

Well I was looking at his win ratio the other day and it's not great he's been there three years with ratio of just 28%. His premier league record in general is awful, as mentioned in another post he's championship manager at best. 

• Like 1